My Receiver Needs to Go Away!

JoeDirt

I'm running a Denon AVR 4520ci, though it's probably a stretch for your budget, but maybe you can find a good used one for close...  It's a beast, and was Denon's flagship receiver a few years ago.  Doesn't have Atmos/DTS X, but aside from that it has all the power/features you could want. 

• Like 2

and unless your using really power hungry speakers, external amps are overkill

I prefer the term headroom. Before you poo poo external amps, there's a lot that needs to be considered. Size of the room, efficiency of the speakers, listening levels, seated distance from speakers, crossover point and what your transient peaks will be (to name a few).

Never dumped on external amps, just said they were overkill. I can listen to very loud levels with my 4520 with no problem. However, I can see if someone would want external amps. I've had external amps on my setup before, when I had NHTs, and know they can make a difference.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

I'm running a Denon AVR 4520ci, though it's probably a stretch for your budget, but maybe you can find a good used one for close...  It's a beast, and was Denon's flagship receiver a few years ago.  Doesn't have Atmos/DTS X, but aside from that it has all the power/features you could want. 

Great brand. I had Denon for a long time.  Never let me down.  I agree with your statement.  They really do have every feature in the book.  I bet there are a couple out there for a decent price.  

JoeDirt - $500 may be a bit on the low side.  With the advent of HDMI 2.2 and the new HDCP, you may want to spend just a couple hundred more to get something like the Denon kap just recommended.  Just to be future ready.  

and unless your using really power hungry speakers, external amps are overkill

I prefer the term headroom. Before you poo poo external amps, there's a lot that needs to be considered. Size of the room, efficiency of the speakers, listening levels, seated distance from speakers, crossover point and what your transient peaks will be (to name a few).

Never dumped on external amps, just said they were overkill. I can listen to very loud levels with my 4520 with no problem. However, I can see if someone would want external amps. I've had external amps on my setup before, when I had NHTs, and know they can make a difference.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Dang, there are a lot of us from MN!!!  Go WILD!

Yamaha Aventage, Pioneer Elite and Marantz are awesome receivers that would sound good. The Elites are awesome.

Heck Yeah Ibiza!  I have a new Pioneer Elite SC-91, and it is Wi-fi, has a Class D-3 Amp for stable power, and ATMOS/DTS:X.  What more do ya need?!

I also like Teaman's suggestion of the Sherborn SR-120, but they are hard to find on the used market.  OTOH I have seen a lot of the highly regarded Pio Elites, so they are more available and prices are a little lower.

If you could find a simple 5.1 AVR, but if you could you could maximize your purchasing power by getting the features you want and not have to waste money on features you don't want, like extra channels and wireless connectivity.

• Like 1

Great brand. I had Denon for a long time.  Never let me down.  I agree with your statement.  They really do have every feature in the book.  I bet there are a couple out there for a decent price.  

JoeDirt - $500 may be a bit on the low side.  With the advent of HDMI 2.2 and the new HDCP, you may want to spend just a couple hundred more to get something like the Denon kap just recommended.  Just to be future ready.  

The one Kap mentioned does not have HDMI 2.2 or HDCP. Just to be clear. 

Great receiver though and I almost bought it like 4 times but the Atmos/4K craze got into my head. Just went and looked at the New SC-95 at Best Buy but there wasn't anybody there to help me. Probably a good thing considering the amount of money I spent on HT in the last month.

The one Kap mentioned does not have HDMI 2.2 or HDCP. Just to be clear. 

Great receiver though and I almost bought it like 4 times but the Atmos/4K craze got into my head. Just went and looked at the New SC-95 at Best Buy but there wasn't anybody there to help me. Probably a good thing considering the amount of money I spent on HT in the last month.

Ummm, did you mean to just repost our responses????  Or am I getting grammar checked?

***Edit:  I saw your response and read it wrong.  My bad K5SS.  ***

Edited by busht4169