RP-160M or RP-260F?

Highdb

Has anyone listened to both of these? I am looking to get back into Klipsch speakers having had KG4.5 speakers in the past hooked up to a 90w tube system. Regrettably sold them, holding on to Reference 3a MM DE CAPO speakers instead. My 13'x16' current room with tile floor makes a flat based floorstander tricker to get level, my stands have adjustable spikes so easy to place and level speakers. I have bass traps behind listening position. Will the 260's overpower the room or will the 160's be enough? Good reviews on the monitors so was thinking I would like them but at times I miss the bigger sound that a floorstander gives so I would go floorstander as long as the drivers integrate well in the critical midrange area. My room opens to the entry way on one side and the dining room on the other, so bigger speakers should work. I guess I am just looking for a more efficient open sounding speaker and would like any comments from people that have heard these two speakers. Thanks! -high dub

It is hard to say which you will like better.  The towers are a more complete speaker and have more bass and bass extension.  For dedicated two channel a nice set of bookshelfs on stands is hard to beat, easier to position and works well with a small sub for the low end.  A nearfield bookshelf setup is perfect!

Edited by derrickdj1

Has anyone listened to both of these?

I have. Typically if you have the money and the space I'd say go with towers, but those 160M's sound surprisingly nice.  I'm not smart enough to describe it but it almost seems like the tweeters on the towers are more pronounced and forward sounding while the monitors/bookshelves are flatter and sound more like the THX line like the KL-650's.  Maybe they toned them down in the crossover since there's only one woofer, I'm not sure.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

A nearfield bookshelf setup is perfect!

This is an area which is, unfortunately, very neglected by many.  Such an arrangement can provide a level of musical immersion and involvement which is hard to duplicate with larger speakers and a relatively far listening distance.  A five to six foot equilateral triangle works well and has the added advantage of needing so little power (with speakers as efficient as the RP-160Ms) to create very loud listening levels that amplifier options become limitless (including very low power tube amps, if desired).  The cost difference, to me, is attractive as well (for example, the RP-160Ms with a quality tube amp could cost less than the RP-280Fs).  I'm not telling you how to spend your money- this is simply a suggested option based on installations with which I have been involved over the years.

Maynard

Has anyone listened to both of these? I am looking to get back into Klipsch speakers having had KG4.5 speakers in the past hooked up to a 90w tube system. Regrettably sold them, holding on to Reference 3a MM DE CAPO speakers instead. My 13'x16' current room with tile floor makes a flat based floorstander tricker to get level, my stands have adjustable spikes so easy to place and level speakers. I have bass traps behind listening position. Will the 260's overpower the room or will the 160's be enough? Good reviews on the monitors so was thinking I would like them but at times I miss the bigger sound that a floorstander gives so I would go floorstander as long as the drivers integrate well in the critical midrange area. My room opens to the entry way on one side and the dining room on the other, so bigger speakers should work. I guess I am just looking for a more efficient open sounding speaker and would like any comments from people that have heard these two speakers. Thanks! -high dub

I have the 160M's in my setup and enjoy them immensely.  My room is a bit larger than yours and in every application with my other speakers (see signature), they are crisp and clear, and have no problems keeping up with my ATMOS setup including my RP 280F's.  Using them in Zone 2 configuration, the sound clear with music and are full sounding, especially when coupled with my R-115SW

Thanks for all of your responses!   I'll probably just get the RP-160's (I've been living without a sub for years!) as I can always add a sub later, although that's another issue as my hybrid tube preamp (not an AVR) does have separate balanced pre-outs I could run to a sub, but unless I get say...a Marantz NR1403 AVR or similar to use as a preamp to cut bass to the RP's and run the LFE to the sub I'll probably have some subwoofer integration issues. Also, my tube amps have a fairly bloomy bass, so again, even with an AVR as a preamp, subwoofer integration may prove difficult.  Amps are Quicksilver Silver Mono 90. Thanks again, responses have been very helpful.  HighDB

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Bump.

What did you finally end up getting newbie?

I bought a pair of the RP-160M and couldn't be happier. These little guys can play and are breaking in nicely. They've already gotten a little smoother and a little more coherent overall. Outstanding speakers. Your Quicksilver amp should be stellar on them. I've already tried my Jolida Fusion 3502 and my Bryston 28bsst2's. Both awesome in different ways.