Epic CF-3s FS

vjdebart

located in Denver Colorado

Good condition one of the 10" drivers has a crack in the cone previous owner repaired with some duct tape ..funny thing, they sound fantastic ..I contacted Klipsch they have 9 of the drivers in stock 180.00

Please see pics

post-61511-0-12480000-1444617537_thumb.j

post-61511-0-03320000-1444617565_thumb.j

post-61511-0-63320000-1444617580_thumb.j

post-61511-0-04080000-1444617609_thumb.j

post-61511-0-93680000-1444617634_thumb.j

post-61511-0-82320000-1444617666_thumb.j

post-61511-0-62280000-1444617684_thumb.j

post-61511-0-93040000-1444617716_thumb.j

post-61511-0-23400000-1444617732_thumb.j

post-61511-0-24680000-1444617763_thumb.j

post-61511-0-54880000-1444617779_thumb.j

Edited by vjdebart

Could you post the serial numbers please?  It would help to identify the version, 1 2 or 3.

I agree, cracking the woofer like that looks really strange.  But it is a plastic material, so oddly enough I can believe duct tape would make a pretty good sonic repair.

If they are version 1 they are highly desirable and you will get a good price for them.  Even though I'm taking it on faith they play great, a potential buyer might balk a bit at the cracked cone on the woofer.  The water rings on top can be taken out with some refinishing.

Locktite Black Max adhesive will repair that crack to as good as new, just make sure that you line up the cone sections. I used one adhesive line on the broken edges and after that set up I placed a wet line on each surface. A 100% excellent repair. It makes FAR more sense to repair than it does to replace the damaged woofer. Best regards Moray James.

One of the easy visual cues to help in determining versions when looking at pics of the Epic line is whether or not you can see the wood through the port.

When viewing a typical downward shot without the grill, if you can see the wood it is the shorter port and so version 2 or 3. If you can't see the wood as in the pair above, it is the longer port. For me that is a quick way to narrow it down, along with the grayish drivers and horn. ON version 3 the drivers and horn were black as well.

Edited by shiva
  • Like 1

One of the easy visual cues to help in determining versions when looking at pics of the Epic line is whether or not you can see the wood through the port.

When viewing a typical downward shot without the grill, if you can see the wood it is the shorter port and so version 2 or 3. If you can't see the wood as in the pair above, it is the longer port. For me that is a quick way to narrow it down, along with the grayish drivers and horn. ON version 3 the drivers and horn were black as well.

:emotion-21:

what makes them better than ver. 3 or 4 

v2 or v3 actually...there was no v4.  That's a loaded question and you'll get some, like myself, that would say "nothing", they're just different. 

What makes them different than a v2 is shorter ports and a bit different tuning.  Difference from v3 is different woofers, ports, and the tuning on the v3 is different to match their different woofer.

what makes them better than ver. 3 or 4

Agree with Brian directly upstream ^^^.

Part of what makes them desirable is probably reputation.  The CF-4 was the king of the Epic series, but they are so huge the CF-3 is just as well regarded.  The CF-3 has a great reputation and a huge following as well, all the people I've ever heard who have CF-3's, any version, just love them.

There were three years, three versions with minor changes from year-to-year.  The v1's got rave reviews early on for their characteristic horn sound, which was BIG but different from the other Heritage Klipsch of that era.  That was also its biggest complaint.

The traditional Klipsch owners and dealers of that time complained that the speakers did not sound "Klipsch-like" and Klipsch responded by changing the box tuning and making some minor crossover changes.  The guys who had the V1's did not like the change in the V2's. 

Klipsch changed the speaker again in the third and final year of production, this time with more XO changes and a lighter woofer.  The guys who liked the V1's again thought Klipsch was going in the wrong direction.  The Epic series was not a big seller and after three years the Epics were discontinued.

But the guys who had the version 1's really thought they had found the Holy Grail of speaker sound and that reputation remains to this day. 

Speaking in round numbers, there is about $100 difference in selling price between versions (especially the CF-4) so if you had an $800 v1, v2 would go for $700 and v3 for $600.

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 1

Thanks so much to all ... I heard The Klipsch horn about 40 years ago qt 16 years of age I was hooked I think they were about 3,000 a pair more money than I could dream of back then. I will say the CF 3s have a very big sound and I think the horn is pretty spot on not too much or little. I might just hold on to these for a while ..Winter is coming lots of good listening time coming up   

Thanks to all you guys 

• Like 1

I love my CF-3's.....version 3's and that's just fine.  They sound phenomenal.  Very basic mods including cabinet bracing, horn wrapping, and crossover modification to closer to version 1's components (or as far as we know)  Only other thing I may do is replace the binding posts and replace wiring; but that's not a major upgrade.

I will say the CF 3s have a very big sound and I think the horn is pretty spot on not too much or little. I might just hold on to these for a while ..Winter is coming lots of good listening time coming up

Outstanding!    :emotion-21:  :emotion-19:

I really think you have something special and they will hold their value.

In fact, since winter is coming as you noted, you might want to have a little winter project.  Glue that cracked woofer like Moray suggested further upstream ^^^.  It will look nice than the duct tape and the sound will not be affected.

Then go ahead and refinish the tops to take that stain out.  My CF-4's were in much worse shape than yours, and included a gouge and the glasses stains on top.  The gouge was deep but now looks pretty good, but the tops came out fantastic.

This was my Klipsch post #001 and I got so much help from the denizens here.  I came for the information but stayed for the entertainment.  B)

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/149241-epic-cf4-needs-overhaul/