Noisy Records -- We need a Volunteer--hahaha

rebuy

So I'm watching "Hack my Life" on Tru TV.

They gave a hack for dealing with cracks and pops on records--here it is.

Get wood glue--Coat the record and let it completely dry.

After it dries--Peel it off--Then get Your Groove on---

Any Takers?

I've read that white glue, and not yellow, should be used.

It reminds me of a young female acquaintance from long ago.  Her mom had some classic Christmas records "in heavy rotation" and I cleaned them for her (not glue). 

Mom was appreciative.  But the young female said her mom only liked me because I fixed up the records.  It was a sign the relationship was not going anywhere. 

WMcD

• Like 1

• Moderators

I think there are several videos on youtube about this, at least I remember watching ine or two. I have nevwr heard of anyone suffering damage from using this method, however, I have heard many people say it made zero difference.

Obviously try it out on a bargin bin record, and tell us what you find iut.

Travis

Wood glue is PVA, poly vinyl alcohol. It works . . . sort of.

Better to use Reg Williamson's PVA based system formulated specifically for vinyl records. If I were in front of a real computer, I'd link to a thread, but it's too much trouble on this iPad. If interested, search for Dave Mallete's "B'Jesus . . . " thread and follow the link therein.

I'll bump Dave's testimonial thread as well as the original thread.

Edited by DizRotus
  • Like 1

Here are the links.

Mallette's testimonial thread: https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/155914-bjesus-a-miracleby-dizrotus/

My original cleaning thread: https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/145942-the-best-way-to-clean-preserve-vinyl/

Yes, I still have the critical ingredient, Cyastat SN, available.  The rest of the ingredients are readily available.

post-6832-0-45400000-1444992769_thumb.jp

We never got the demo in Hope this year (or I missed it) but would like some of the Cyastat so I can give this a try.

I discouraged Dave from cooking a batch in Hope; too much like watching paint dry.  Apparently there wasn't time to do a proper demo of the ready made goop in Hope.

Please read, at least, post #110 of the cleaning thread linked above.  The requirement of proof of a >$10 charitable donation is a way to filter out the curious, but not serious, requesters, as well as a way to pay it forward.  If history is any guide, this will spark responses from the usual  critics and naysayers.  To whom I say, fine, don't bother with it.  On the other hand, anyone who wants to experience what Dave Mallette described should read the entire thread and follow the directions in post #110 to receive 2 oz, of Cyastat SN.

IMO, NOTHING else cleans records better.  More important, without an anti-static agent like Cyastat SN, nothing else breaks the static bond on the dirt and prevents static from reoccurring. YMMV

Edited by DizRotus