Klipsch >>> mostly JBL >>> new Klipsch purchase

cgregory4

Thanks for the help -- several years ago -- in refurbishing my original Fortes. They sound fabulous with the Crites mods (slightly modded by me.)

Wandered around in audio speaker wasteland a bit. Probably bought and sold 20 different brands/models.

Fell into the JBL blackhole -- you have to experience it to understand it.  :wacko:  But, it's been fun.

Been looking at the new Klipsch designs. They look super and apparently sound the same.

Then I made the fatal error: Entered 'Klipsch speaker' as search on BadBay.  :(

I'm old and have an affection for old designs -- warts and all. So, I purchased these bad boys, as the price seemed hard to pass on:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/391274033448?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I guess the free shipping put me over the edge. Plus, one speaker in particular was telling me she wanted to live in Texas.  :D

Did I do well? Pay too much? It was an impulse buy for sure -- but, I have not had one 'second thought' about the purchase. (As sometimes happens -- maybe just to me.)

Blast away, pards. 

Greg

Should I have gone for the P-series? 'Bout the same money, I suppose.

Edited by cgregory4
  • Like 2

Sorry for the mistake. I edited the original post. I guess I was just asking if I should have gone for the newer Klipsch tecnology -- which I suppose might be a pair of the P-series?

Just an old man making a mistake in a post -- no offense intended.

I have 40 year old memories of the glorious sound of two Khorns supported by chain on a platform about 8' high in 2 corners of a bar in west Texas that made the best margaritas I ever tasted.

I guess I couldn't say whether my sonic impressions came exclusively from the horns.  :) But I decided to go with something I always wanted -- hope they don't disappoint.

But the new Klipsch designs look beautiful -- but never had a chance to hear them.

Greg

Brand new B-stock Khorns for $7k, especially with the minor damage the pictures show, is acceptable. The main thing is that you are happy, and if you have proper corners and room size you will be happy. What anybody on this site says really doesn't matter.

You mentioned 'P-series.' I assume you are referring to the Palladiums. Of which I have. It's my main reason for responding to your post - to give you an opinion of the Khorns v. Palladiums. My 2 channel room is on the large size and the Khorns do a wonderful job of filling the space. My Palladiums are for home theater and are in a smaller area.

When cooking or entertaining the Khorns are pulling music duty. But when I want to relax by myself I will usually turn to the Palladiums, kick back in the recliner and lose myself in the music. They do not have the soundstage of the Khorns, and I don't require it in this smaller room, but they provide more detail and clarity, and are much smoother, IMO. Put the matching sub with them and they are better than Khorns.

You cannot go wrong with either system.

Edited by Bella
  • Like 1

Thanks for the help -- several years ago -- in refurbishing my original Fortes. They sound fabulous with the Crites mods (slightly modded by me.)

Wandered around in audio speaker wasteland a bit. Probably bought and sold 20 different brands/models.

Fell into the JBL blackhole -- you have to experience it to understand it.  :wacko:  But, it's been fun.

Been looking at the new Klipsch designs. They look super and apparently sound the same.

I'm old and have an affection for old designs -- warts and all. So, I purchased these bad boys, as the price seemed hard to pass on:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/391274033448?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I guess the free shipping put me over the edge. Plus, one speaker in particular was telling me she wanted to live in Texas.  :D

Did I do well? Pay too much? It was an impulse buy for sure -- but, I have not had one 'second thought' about the purchase. (As sometimes happens -- maybe just to me.)

Blast away, pards. 

Greg

Should I have gone for the RF 7 IIs? 'Bout the same money, I suppose.

I think you got a good buy, they are awesome speakers. What will you power them with?

Brand new B-stock Khorns for $7k, especially with the minor damage the pictures show, is acceptable. The main thing is that you are happy, and if you have proper corners and room size you will be happy. What anybody on this site says really doesn't matter.

You mentioned 'P-series.' I assume you are referring to the Palladiums. Of which I have. It's my main reason for responding to your post - to give you an opinion of the Khorns v. Palladiums. My 2 channel room is on the large size and the Khorns do a wonderful job of filling the space. My Palladiums are for home theater and are in a smaller area.

When cooking or entertaining the Khorns are pulling music duty. But when I want to relax by myself I will usually turn to the Palladiums, kick back in the recliner and lose myself in the music. They do not have the soundstage of the Khorns, and I don't require it in this smaller room, but they provide more detail and clarity, and are much smoother, IMO. Put the matching sub with them and they are better than Khorns.

Finally a review from someone that own Khorns and Palladiums. Very interesting, thanks for sharing. Just curious, which Palladiums do you own?

Bella,

That is the precise feedback I was wanting -- however non-precise my initial post may have been.

Ceptorman,

I'm partial to FET outputs, so I'll try Van Alstine, Perreaux, or Counterpoint amps.

WVU,

Go Mountaineers!

BTW. What makes these 'B' stock speakers? Just wondrin'.  :unsure:

Greg

Let's see, you got a $10,000 set of speakers for $7,000?  You did alright.  B)

Welcome back.

Khorns are now $12,000. He got an exceedingly good deal.

Edited by Bella
  • Like 1

Blast away, pards. 

Greg

I think you got a good buy, they are awesome speakers. What will you power them with?

Finally a review from someone that own Khorns and Palladiums. Very interesting, thanks for sharing. Just curious, which Palladiums do you own?

Am I to understand that this forum, above all other forums, has no direct comparisons of these two systems? That's rather interesting. I have the 37's. The dealer had 38's to demo, but not the 39's. The 38's presented a larger soundstage (of course) and I could easily be persuaded into believing that the 39's surpass the stage of the Khorns. Both of those models were too much for my intended needs so I settled on the 37's. 

Mind you, I have two different amps so it may account for some of the sound differences I described. And of course everyone has different tastes when it come to music. But...when I first got them I did an A/B comparison on the same amp and from memory, I would say my description above is accurate.  I would add that the Palladium's seemed to have more dimensions and depth. They are the closest I have come to the sound you get when you have on a quality headphone. You know that sound right? Well the Palladium reminds me of it. The detail; the richness; the smoothness and the depth. I do hear things from them that I do not hear on the Khorns-at least not as clearly. The only areas the Khorns exceed the Palladium's is the low end and the very large soundstage. Everywhere else they do not - even against the lowly 37's. But again, that's just my opinion.

Edited by Bella
  • Like 1

• Moderators

Fell into the JBL blackhole -- you have to experience it to understand it. :wacko: But, it's been fun.

Then I made the fatal error: Entered 'Klipsch speaker' as search on BadBay. :(

I guess the free shipping put me over the edge. Plus, one speaker in particular was telling me she wanted to live in Texas. :D

Blast away, pards.

Greg

Am I to understand that this forum, above all other forums, has no direct comparisons of these two systems? That's rather interesting. I have the 37's. The dealer had 38's to demo, but not the 39's. The 38's presented a larger soundstage (of course) and I could easily be persuaded into believing that the 39's surpass the stage of the Khorns. Both of those models were too much for my intended needs so I settled on the 37's.

Mind you, I have two different amps so it may account for some of the sound differences I described. And of course everyone has different tastes when it come to music. But...when I first got them I did an A/B comparison on the same amp and from memory, I would say my description above is accurate. I would add that the Palladium's seemed to have more dimensions and depth. They are the closest I have come to the sound you get when you have on a quality headphone. You know that sound right? Well the Palladium reminds me of it. The detail; the richness; the smoothness and the depth. I do hear things from them that I do not hear on the Khorns-at least not as clearly. The only areas the Khorns exceed the Palladium's is the low end and the very large soundstage. Everywhere else they do not - even against the lowly 37's. But again, that's just my opinion.

I like that review? What size room? Do you have a photo of how they are placed.

Blast away, pards. 

Greg

Mind you, I have two different amps so it may account for some of the sound differences I described. And of course everyone has different tastes when it come to music. But...when I first got them I did an A/B comparison on the same amp and from memory, I would say my description above is accurate.  I would add that the Palladium's seemed to have more dimensions and depth. They are the closest I have come to the sound you get when you have on a quality headphone. You know that sound right? Well the Palladium reminds me of it. The detail; the richness; the smoothness and the depth. I do hear things from them that I do not hear on the Khorns-at least not as clearly. The only areas the Khorns exceed the Palladium's is the low end and the very large soundstage. Everywhere else they do not - even against the lowly 37's. But again, that's just my opinion.

I also appreciate that detailed feedback.

From my short time here, there have been a few reviews comparing these two speakers, but yours is the first review where both speakers were owned by the same person, at the same time. At the Klipsch factory in Hope earlier this year, there was a demo with Khorns, P39s, and RF7lls, at the same time, in the same room. I believe everybody chose the Khorns over the P39s, a few even chose the RF7lls over the P39s. I've also noticed on here, a couple people completely changing their minds about the Palladiums after personally hearing them. Their previous opinions were based on second hand opinions from someone else. 

I don't have photos. Sorry. But I can tell you the room they are in is fully carpeted. The 37s are 12 inches off the rear wall, 4 feet off the side walls, and 9 feet apart. I sit dead center 9 feet away - a perfect triangle. Ceiling is 8 feet. Subwoofer is kitty-cornered as it should be. Speakers are controlled by an Anthem mrx-710 using ARC room correction.

Edited by Bella