Oscillating sound on turn-off?

artto

I have a Crown D-150A that, when turning it off, produces a high pitched "whistle" with a descending pitch as it fades in volume until silent. This takes maybe a second or two. Any idea whats causing this?

Other than that it seems to work fine. At the time it was hooked up to Khorns or Belle Klipsch.

Considering the symptom and age of this model especially if still using original electrolytic capacitors I would suggest the following as a starting point.

(1) If this happens in both channels I would check the main power supply electrolytic capacitors.

(2) If only one channel check any electrolytic capacitors dedicated to that channel.

I've not serviced any Crown amps so maybe someone with experience of this model can give you more suggestions.

miketn

The main filter caps are drying out, tack a pair of 22µF electrolytics across the main filter caps and it should stop the noise (unless you want to throw money at it and replace all the electrolytics).

Thanks!

Actually, I want to sell it. I just want to make sure that there's nothing super wrong with it and I can inform whoever wants to buy it of it's condition and what's required. Personally, I don't want to mess with it. I haven't used it for years.

Did you bring this amp out of storage plug, hook it up and turn it on, or power it up slowly with a Variac?

No. I bought this amp used a long time ago (25+yrs?) for use on a Belle Klipsch center speaker, mainly for things like background music & parties instead of using (wasting) my Luxman MB3045 triodes for non-serious stuff. It has done this since I bought it. Never seemed to have affected the sound. Just whistles quietly on turn-off for a moment.

I'm well aware of the cap re-forming process. But that seems to be much more important with tube amps than solid state.

Waste of time now, once it has been hit will full mains voltage.

If you want to keep it, replace all the electrolytics, if you want to sell it, just add the 22µF.

djk:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/solid-state/127122-crown-d150a-problems.html

djk:

The link to the service data has been changed.

http://adn.harmanpro.com/site_elements/resources/954_1425419036/D-150A-Service-Manual-Part-2-d150a_service_manual_part2_original.zip

Consider replacing C4, C5 as well.

The D150A now has the same circuitry as the DC300A, and no caps in the signal path.

Crown had problems with that, even when new.

Some of the factory bulletins had you adding a 5µF to one rail.

(Note: some D150 had 0.22µF on the positive rails, nothing on the negative, others had 0.22µF on the positive, and 0.1µF on the negative)

Do a pair of 22µF for both rails.