Room size for Belles and amp

efzauner

Hello

Been on this forum a lot long ago and may finally be building out the HT/audio room.  Size available is 18 x 15 with speakers along the longer wall.  Several plans.. I already have 2pairs of  Heresy's but am looking at a pair of 1984 Belle's.  I could us them for stereo or for HT.

So is the room big enough for the Belles?

I plan on using a Bryston 2B-LP amp http://www.bryston.com/products/power_amps/2B-LP-PRO.html

a Sherbourne Pre-1 http://www.questforsound.com/preamps/preamps_sherbourn_pre1.htm

I also have a Denon DVD-2900 cd player and other older vintage equipment such as Sansui 771.

Even have a pair of Heathkit W5M amps that may eventually see life again...and lots of vinyl still.

Some feed back would be appreciated.

Thanks. 

So is the room big enough for the Belles?

I've found that the most critical dimension is the one that you didn't post: ceiling height, and it's also the shortest dimension.  The design of the midrange horn in Heritage models (Khorn, La Scala, Belle, Cornwall, Heresy) in rooms with less than 9 feet (2.7 metre) ceiling height puts extra acoustic energy in the 400-1700 Hz region into ceiling and floor bounce that needs to be attenuated. 

One way to achieve this is a rug and ceiling absorption tiles, or extremely thick ceiling diffusers that are effective down to 400 Hz.  Another measure to help control this is to place absorption material on top of the loudspeaker cabinets to cover the top completely in fuzzy material.

An alternative method to control the ceiling and floor bounce is to replace the midrange horns with horns having a much greater mouth vertical dimension.

Chris

thanks everyone.. 

I went to look and listen to the pair this week. They are almost pristine  small scratch here and there.   But to be honest, the listening environenment was not good and the source was cd played on a cheap dvd player.  I was not overwhelmed by them. Pretty pair yes.  Don't know what to do. Probably settle for what I have.

The Bryston and Sherbourn.. where a knee jerk reaction to not buying a Mac 250 with Quad preamp and other stuff for $600 at a garage/yard sale this summer.

Yes Shoot me...