Project Hulk

justinsweber

Back at it with the cornscalas. We are calling this Project Hulk... I believe its the 1st time the Eliptrac 240 horn is being used.

What we have here is the Crites Cornscala bin (additional bracing and some adjustments to the volume), paired with Kappa 15C. Baffles were done for use by Dave… CNC cutting at it finest. The Bass bins ride on a Base-plate with the caster bolted down. The Base-plate will be bolted to the bottom of the base bin. Will allow for easy movement.

Top Hats are Eliptrac 240 2” horn with BMS 4592ND-MID crossed at 300hz with an ALK ES300.

The HF is handled by the Dave’s Contrac horn and the B&C DE120 crossed at 4500hz with an ES4500.

The owner wanted the inside of the mouths to be highlighted… they will have grills so only be present when off.

[/url]
gallery_36992_289_30617.jpg

gallery_36992_289_32034.jpg
gallery_36992_289_14640.jpg
gallery_36992_289_31776.jpg

Edited by justinsweber
  • Like 1

Right now I have it running off an ALK ES KHorn crossover so that would be 5.8kHz if I'm remembering correctly. You mean I could/should crossover lower and it would sound better? Wow. Cuz it sounds pretty darn sweet already. I love how this big horn sounds (and looks).

Justin looks good as usual, I like the contrasting colors.  One look I all ways like was the black box with white grills. 

Not to burst both of your bubbles, but IF I remember right  the 240 was design for Craig (or he was the one to convince Dave to design it) at NOSvalves, so he may have been the first to use it.

Guest David H

Justin looks good as usual, I like the contrasting colors.  One look I all ways like was the black box with white grills. 

Not to burst both of your bubbles, but IF I remember right  the 240 was design for Craig (or he was the one to convince Dave to design it) at NOSvalves, so he may have been the first to use it.

I did build 2 pairs of these for Craig, but he backed out of each of them.

Justin looks good as usual, I like the contrasting colors. One look I all ways like was the black box with white grills.

Not to burst both of your bubbles, but IF I remember right the 240 was design for Craig (or he was the one to convince Dave to design it) at NOSvalves, so he may have been the first to use it.

I did build 2 pairs of these for Craig, but he backed out of each of them.
Well there you have it.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Edited by duder1982

Guest David H
Dave said that the 240 begin to collapse up high

The polars on Tractrix horns in general collapse at higher frequencies, however the 240 will easily achieve 6k+. My meaning was the 240 simply can not be used 2 way.

You'll likely get much better sound out of them if you eliminated the gaps between the floor and the bass cab as well as the one between the bass bin and the top.... but that's none of my business. Nice work by the way. ;) Damn those casters are fugly...

Edited by cradeldorf

The speakers are going into a design space, moving them around was a real concern. If they become a permanent install, the casters are mounted to a baseplate via t-nuts and are easy to fill. The footers on the top hats are more of an aesthetic touch... if they end up hurting the sound, they will be removed. The footers have a bit of suspension to them when is nice when moving the top hats. The horns are massive and I worry!

The baseplates are being installed today, all t-nuts for the woofers, riser will be mounted, and the Cardis binding posts installed... All that’s left is crossovers and wire loom.
  • Like 2

Just going by Dave and Als advice. I'm building a version with Eliptrac 400 es500/es5800 to directly compare. Crossovers are done so we should get to give a detailed listen within 2 weeks.

What driver did you pair the 240horn with?

Sorry Justin, didn't catch this until today. I am using a BMS4592 MID on the 240 and a B&C DE38 on the Contrac tweeter.

Dave said that the 240 begin to collapse up high

The polars on Tractrix horns in general collapse at higher frequencies, however the 240 will easily achieve 6k+. My meaning was the 240 simply can not be used 2 way.

Thanks for that clarification Dave.