Project Hulk

justinsweber

Justin, those look really good.

So these are the ES300s? What is your impression crossing over out of the bass bin so low?

Whose input terminals do you use? And grill pegs? I getting ready to build some sub cabinets.

Edited by babadono

Cardis on the binding posts... really incredible stuff. Alt would be the parts express units.. The cards is nice in that you can up a wrench on it to bite down on spade lugs or use banana; no bare wire. If you want bare wire, use the parts express units. 

Grill pegs were used. The top hats, big are they are, were almost too small. I had to sand the ends of 1 LF crossover to make it fit. 

Still taking it in... The sound stage is huge! I compare it to being live in a 100seat theater and in the 10th row. Able to pick out distinct instruments/passages yet have clear focus too. It has the largest sound stage Ive ever head... even comparing to Wilson XLF and Alexandra's. 

Im not quite sure where to place the mid range just yet. For most music -15 seems right... on crappy music it seems over full with the bass. So its a work in progress... I was pushing my .75watt amp to clip. Tomorrow Ill put 50 watts tube and SS on hit for a more realistic presentation. 

The Tweeter is all the way back but seems too hot. We have the DE120TN in there now, but will be swapping out to the DE120 or DE110 in the next week. The Circletrac generally seems to throw more HF (Needing more padding the the elliptical HF) but thats my subjective option. 

As for an general presentation, its like the cornscalas I own (Eliptrac 400/DE750 crossed at 500hz, but 3 times larger.) The sound stage is there at 10 away, but give it 20-25 and you swear you're in a concert.

All listening has been done in a concrete floored garage. Ill bring in side one night for a more realistic demo. 

Edited by justinsweber

Drove up to Justin's Monday evening to pick up my Casablancas after a bit of tweaking he did to them and had the opportunity to have a couple slices of pizza and listen to these speakers running at a moderate volume. V_e_r_y nice midrange. I sorta thought my Eliptrac 400's coupled with B&C 750's sounded good, but I was blown away with the depth of field and realism with the mids in this setup. Startling really. Huge soundstage, lots of detail, but still organic and very present. Vocals and horns were a real treat. And that was with them set up in a not so favorable concrete floored garage (!). These had a sound all their own, quite unique (in a very good way). Lots of fun. Thanks, Justin.

• Like 1