CF-3 DRIVERs & CROSSOVERs PART OUT

orrb_05

Hey All,

Was unsure where to post this question - also tried to search for the answer, but came up with notta.

Looking to part out my CF-3's - all 4 mid/bass drivers, both horns, and the Crites overhauled x-overs.

Need help with pricing on these items because I've no idea what's fair, too low, and/or inflated.

Any constructive input/advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

LB Orr

I recently put my K-63-KN compression drivers for sale on my local Craigslist.  I didn't expect to sell them locally, I figured anybody looking for them would do a SearchTempest national search.  I had them listed 6 weeks ago at $200 pr shipped, and got no responses in a month.  They are off the market now.

I don't have any ideas on what the other components are worth.  There are no replacement diaphragms for the CD's so anybody who blows one will have to replace the entire driver.

What happened to the enclosures?  They might have some value as well.

Edited by wvu80

Ebay is probably your friend on this one.  I've seen the drivers going for around $100 most of the time.  Crossovers are also in that ballpark.  Been a while since I've seen either the horns or compression drivers though. 

You'll want to be sure you specify which version also...as crossovers are different in each of the 3.  Woofers will be different in version 3. 

No luck selling them as complete speakers?

Thought about selling them as complete speakers, but thought I might be able to get more out of them by parting out.

I'm not sure about that.  I think they will be worth the most selling complete as they are still desirable in the used market.

The problem with parting them out is you need buyers who need parts.  In the 2.5 years I've been following the CF-3/4 via the Klipsch Forum I rarely if ever see anybody looking for parts, so selling that many parts at once, you might not find buyers, and if you do, you are likely to sit on them for a long time.  The Epic series was only produced for 3 years, 20 years ago.

OTOH the CF-3's come up occasionally and they seem to sell easily, depending on version (1,2 or 3) condition and location.  I would expect a nice set of CF-3's v1 (1994) to sell for around $600, top dollar to a buyer who has been looking for them.

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 1

Dave is dead on.  The parts generally sit on ebay for quite a while while the speakers I've seen come across usually sell without much trouble.  Maybe you can squeeze a couple extra bucks by parting them out, but you could be waiting a lot longer to do so...and it's no guarantee.  Your speakers for sure, but my $0.02 would be to try and sell them as complete speakers rather than part them out. 

• Like 1

CF3 and the CF4 are possibly the very best loudspeaker that Klipsch has ever produced. They do need power to shine and a pair of solid stereo block amplifiers with 100 - 200 watts per channel set up to vertically bi amp can make them sing. I would prefer them to a set of Khorns. Feed them from a fine system and you have true hi end audio.

Amen to that.  I'll be keeping my CF-3's unless some crazy stupid deal comes across for some version 1 CF-3's or 4's.  But it would have to be crazy stupid.  Otherwise, I'm going to build some Belle's sometime over the winter using the Crites 15" cast woofer and possibly a 2-way design.