Refinishing my RF-3 II towers

ninjai18

If I am not mistaken, the RF-3II's have a vinyl veneer.

With that said, you could strip the vinyl and apply a real wood veneer and stain/clear coat and make them really something special.

Bill

I think I just might look into a real wood veneer. :)

I was also wondering, do you know how I might tighten up my driver screw holes? They are a bit rounded out and loose from removing the drivers several times to work on crossover mods. There must be some way of doing this.

With that said, you could strip the vinyl and apply a real wood veneer and stain/clear coat and make them really something special.

Bill

I was also wondering, do you know how I might tighten up my driver screw holes? They are a bit rounded out and loose from removing the drivers several times to work on crossover mods. There must be some way of doing this.

Toothpicks and wood glue would be the easy way out.

Filling the old holes with Bondo & pre-drilling new screw holes would be my choice.

Bill

Filling the old holes with Bondo & pre-drilling new screw holes would be my choice.

I think I'll go with the first option, I'm not sure how you could drill new holes? The holes just wouldn't line up with the mounting holes on the drivers for the RF-4s, they aren't perfect circles.

Any chance of a walkthrough for the toothpick and wood glue option? :)

Edited by ninjai18

Bill

I think I'll go with the first option, I'm not sure how you could drill new holes? The holes just wouldn't line up with the mounting holes on the drivers for the RF-4s, they aren't perfect circles.

Any chance of a walkthrough for the toothpick and wood glue option? :)

I see, not familiar with these and thought you were referring to a rear panel.

Just break some toothpicks to length, shove them in the worn out hole and let it dry, drill them out if needed and install your screws.

• Like 1

Think the early RF3 and RF3II were wood veneer.  At least my rb5s are.

RF-3 Floorstanding Speaker FINISHES: Black ash vinyl veneer

RF-3 II Floorstanding Speaker FINISHES: Black ash vinyl veneer

RB-5 Bookshelf Speaker FINISHES: Oak, Mahogany, or Black wood veneer

You are correct about the RB-5's. :D

Bill

Edited by willland

Ninjai, I have a pair of RF3's also and was looking into upgrading them, What mods did you do to the crossover? 

• 4 weeks later...

Ninjai, I have a pair of RF3's also and was looking into upgrading them, What mods did you do to the crossover? 

I did all new crossover parts from Parts Express. The only original part I kept was the original iron-core inductor in the woofer section of the crossover per DeanG's recommendation. :) Message me for more details, I'd be happy to help! :D