Component vibration isolation advice

jstanton

I got a pair of K-Horns that tends to vibrate the be-jesus out of the entire house when turned up to any decent listening level. Problem is, my DVD/CD player also vibrates in unison causing much skippage and whatnot. Can anyone recommend something for isolating audio components from vibrations (or what is commercially available for this sort of thing)? (I've been using foam rubber pieces which work somewhat, but after awhile they get compressed and don't work so well...)

Thanks...

------------------

32" Hi-scan Sony WEGA

Amp: Yamaha DSPA1

Mains: '99 K-horns

Center: KLF-C7 & JBL S- Center

Front Effects: KSP-S6s

Rear Surrounds: KLF-30s

Sub: KSW-15

DVD: Pioneer DV-114

MD: Sony Mini-Disc

Recorder (Walkman)

VCR: JVC S-VHS

j, i recently picked up some Audioquest sorbo-jel spheres from www.audioadvisor.com

believe they have both "little feet" & "big feet". little are all that's needed for a standard dvdp.

thought they were a lil pricey just for some implant like silicone or whatever. but couldn't find any generic like them. so got for around $50. work real well. put 'em under the frame, not under the existing feet of the dvdp.

------------------

My Home Systems Page

This came up a couple of years ago here. The CD player was being wobbled and mistracked. You must really be cranking that system.

I believe the issue is not just having a resilient isolation pad. In some ways the resilency may be allowing the player to move more, rather than less. In other words, it is keeping it less anchored.

If you have a stack of components, you might move the CD player to the bottom. If the base is steady, this will help restrict movement. You do have a sturdy base, table, etc.?

Another approach would be to put the CD player on top of the receiver, put a piece of resilent material under the receiver, not blocking vents. This way the mass of the reciever will lower the resonant frequency, hopefully, down below the bass of system.

Gil

I use the Daruma Roller Balls under my Turntable and couldn't be happier. The Rega Planet comes with it's own isolation feet so I will see how I like them before doing anything. The Daruma Roller Balls can be had for $99/set of 3. They are on Audiogon frequently and go for $75 or so...

Mike

FWIW

I once mounted a shelf directly to the studs on a bearing wall and could jump into the air and slam my feet down directly in front of it when my AR XA turntable was playing without causing a skip.(Hey I was younger then! - I still like to show off but I ain't gonna jump up and land like that now because I need to be able to hoist myself outta bed and go to work rather than having to ask for the Hoyer)!

I suspect that the system I used primarily transferred the shock from my antics and the less drastic vibrations from the speakers into the framing and foundation of the house. In addition the AR utilised a floating suspension a'la the Linn Sondek,Thorens and Ariston which are noted for their relative insensitivity to vibration.

You are definitely on track in searching for isolators for your DVD/CD player but...... Bear in mind however that the problem might rest with your player and if reasonable measures to isolate it fail to resolve the problem you might need to consider a different player

------------------

It is meet to recall that the Great Green Heron rarely flies upside down in the moonlight - (Foo Ling ca.1900)

I've done the same with subs too close to the CDP.

You must be really crankin' it.

Aren't the isolation devices made to get a better sound through isolation?

I wonder if they would even work if there is so much ambient bass that the CDP mistracks.

Door stops.

Cabinet stops.

Home Depot.

somewhat off topic, but love this CD cleaning system device/gadget i picked up at rat shack for just around $10.

little box u put your cd/dvd in & spin it around w/ the crank. comes w/ a good sized bottle of fluid u spray the disk w/ a couple times, then put on the wheel, close lid, & crank away about 20 revs.

great too for those dirty rental dvd. especially the R rateds. Wink.gif

------------------

My Home Systems Page

SOunds like to neet to get rid of heavy vibration. Get a bicycle tire tube (<$5), size 16" x 1.75/2.25", preferably Schwinn (soft, compliant rubber) and blow only a little air into it (enough to loosely float the player about 1/2" above the shelf) and place it under the CD player.

It' a poor man's Vibraplane, but it'll work.

------------------

Transport: CEC TL-2X

DAC: Audiomat Maestro

Pre-amp: Wyetech Jade

Amps: Jeff Korneff 45

Interconects: Analysis Plus Solo Monocrystal

Speaker cable: Analysis Plus Solo Monocrystal

Power cords: CPCC Top Gun and Model 11

Line conditioner: CPCC Super Power Block

Equip Stand: Grand Prix Audio Monaco

Belle Klipsch, K-horns

This message has been edited by Mike82 on 08-22-2002 at 09:48 AM

Save $1680

Simple to make platform isolates vibrations:

Brings out details for CD and record players.

by A.C. Flood

A recent high-end print magazine did a recent review on one of their favorite pieces of equipment; a specially made, high tech, damping base for the front end of your stereo. The Vibraplane© is intended principally for your turntable, but it will also work with your CD player and tube equipment . It is the ultimate turntable base.

The review gushed over the sonic improvements of the $1,700 and $5,000 models, saying "you'll appreciate the visceral presence that the Vibraplane© adds to both digital and analog playback every time you spin some wax or plastic." The reviewers found improvements in imaging, low-level microdynamics, timbral truth and percussive impact, in fact, "every aspect of sonic presentation took on new life." (Vol. 17 #5) But, the price tag did not impress me.

So here is what I did:

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/tweaks/

(I am planning a sequel some day with a thick MDF board on bubble wrap that supposedly dampens almost as close as this idea does in measurements)

------------------

Colin's Music System Ak-2 Khorns & Klipsch subs; lights out, tubes glowing & smile beaming!

This message has been edited by Colin on 08-22-2002 at 10:16 AM

Click here for cheap and effective DIY isolation platform

I found the racquetball halves more effective and easier to set up than the inner tube. Also, mass loading the component helps. I use a large zip-lock bag full of sand. I plan to add some kind of bearings to couple the components to the sandbox and to provide horizontal damping. The cost of the Final Labs bearings is less than paying a machine shop to do it for you, so $99.00 per component may be the only choice. Maybe a trip to the hardware store will inspire....

------------------

May the bridges we burn light our way....

the common wisdom on sorbothane feet and vibropods, etc. is that they damp vibration, dissipate it. William mentions that it they allow the player to move, but I think that if we want to stop vibration from affecting the player it is valid to want to create an interface shelf-component with materials to dissipate the vibration at the point of transmission. Isolation from vibration combined with dissipation/dampening in the two directions:

component<-->material<-->shelf

makes sense to me.

regards, tony

This message has been edited by sunnysal on 08-23-2002 at 11:11 AM