Life Line Screening

A1UC

Howa-Bout this:

Heads up!

You get the FK out of Dodge.

AK Dave im sure would take you in, you are reading FAR to much into life as you know it.

Standard Disclaimer:

You have taken care of everyone you're whole dam life, this time IS you're time.

Take a break from the norm........you will hear NO more of this from me.

Awesome that's what I'm looking for don't hold back lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dude, Please,  iv come to "Like" you.

We have far less road to travel, (We) speaking of  me, im DONE.

WE have left thet the world our kids, and they ARE better than us.

Come-on when do you say when?.... just do-it, crank the two channel :emotion-21:

I used it once, about 5 years ago.  If you are not seeing a primary care physician at least annually and having your blood drawn and lab results reviewed, then I think it is very worthwhile and inexpensive.  I would have used them again, but I see my primary doctor annually and get my blood tests monitored because I am on cholesterol and blood pressure meds...hereditary.

Although my wife and I did the screenings this summer I still wonder of its value. I was expecting to see much more "modern" equipment for the scans they perform, something on order of mobile CAT scan labs in tractor trailers much like they do for mobile breast cancer scanning. CAT scan tunnels are light years ahead of what you will see from LifeScans. I suppose for peace of mind or to reveal a very real significant blockage it has value and for that we don't regret attending. Just don't expect state of the art medical electronics.

A1UC, you did not mention your condition. Why do you have an interest in this?  What is your age, current health and health history?

If you are physically capable of exercise, I would recommend a steady exercise regimen.  It's free and will give you far more benefit than a screening service ever will.  All the doctors will ever tell you if they find anything is, "Eat right and exercise."  They give pills to the ones who refuse to do so.

I'm 47 and decided exercise was the way to improve my health about 2 years ago.  My condition now, compared to then, is like comparing night and day.  I look back on these 2 years and am glad I kept with it.  I used to have borderline high blood pressure and borderline high bad cholesterol.  Not anymore.

When you can control your health the natural way, I just can't see any logic in trying to do it with pills, with all their side effects.  Pills don't promote health; they mask larger problems and promote self-neglect.  However, pills do have their time and place.  I'd never tell anyone to cease taking a vital medication.

Just my 2 cents.  Back to the technology in question....

• Like 1

• Moderators

They are based in Austin, but I am not familar with them? How old are you, approximately? A good annual physical by a good physician with blood sent off to the Boston Heart for testing is going to be much more informative for you.

Ask your doctor what he thinks about it.

Here is a brief discussion about some potential drawbacks.

They are based in Austin, but I am not familar with them? How old are you, approximately? A good annual physical by a good physician with blood sent off to the Boston Heart for testing is going to be much more informative for you.

Ask your doctor what he thinks about it.

Here is a brief discussion about some potential drawbacks.

Re: an annual physical, It's not a bad idea for people who are in the stage of crossing over from healthy to unhealthy.  That way, you know where you stand.  I had a couple of them before and just paid cash for them.  You can get a physical inspection and blood/urine lab screening and results for something like $175 for the whole enchilada.

No not really heart once but then second test was good

Then, I'd go with a mix of Travis's (dwiatty's) and my advice.  Get an annual physical with blood/urine lab work to see where you stand on "important" factors, such as blood pressure, cholesterol, etc.  No matter what the results, start an exercise regimen.  Get your heart-rate up for about 30 minutes a day.  Eat better (if you don't already).  That means more fruits, vegetables and fibers and less fat and glop.  You don't have to eat rabbit food all the time; you just need to be mindful of what a good, balanced diet is.

Edited by Jeff Matthews

I'm over weight eat the wrong foods that's about it I know I can control that

That described me 2 years and 35 pounds ago.  But as I said, I had borderline bp and cholesterol.  I wasn't in a "worry" category, but I was at a point where it was still easy to get back into prime physical shape and great health. "Easy" as in "regular exercise" and a "better diet."  That's all it took. No magic formulas or pills... not even supplements or vitamins.  I get all I need from food.

• Like 1

35 I'm close to triple that over weight

On the one hand, I could say, "OMG!"  On the other hand, I could say, "So what?"  When you exercise and eat right, the weight comes off.  It doesn't have to come off quickly.  There's no hurry.  It took me about 5 months or so to drop my weight.  It wouldn't have mattered if it took me 2 years because... it's now been 2 years for me.   :)

I admit I kind of feel lucky that I hit upon the motivation to start and had the determination to see it through.  The fact is, if I was 100 pounds over weight at that time, I know for certain I would have dropped it all.  It was just more of a "mechanical" type of determination.  I made my mind up, and that was it.

I think anyone else could do it, too, but truly, it just depends on how much the person wants it.  The rules are very simple, and there really aren't any short-cuts or ways to cheat.

Just trade thick slop for vegetables and fruits, let your stomach growl a bit between meals and exercise.  You can still enjoy meats and breads. You don't have to give those up.  Just consume them with moderation and make sure your diet is well-balanced.

For me, the growling stomach was kind of like "music" to my ears.  It meant 2 things: (1) I was losing weight, and (2) I was going to enjoy my next meal a lot more.  I used to eat dinner when I was still kind of full from lunch.  Just cramming-in food because the clock said it was time to cram.  It was a bad, slothful habit.

I attribute a lot of my success to vegetables.  God, I used to eat like shit.  I acquired such a taste for vegetables that I learned to make stir-fry and am now the god of stir-fry.  I can make it better than any of the restaurants.  The thing about vegetables is you can eat them until you feel you might bust, while at the same time, you are losing weight.  The fiber fills you up, but it is all low-cal.  Same with fruits.  Any fruits.  Bananas, apples, grapes, canteloupe, etc.  They are all great.  Beans are great, too.  Pintos, black-eyed peas, etc.  They are great, great diet foods.  More filling, less cals. Very healthy.

For help on learning what's healthiest, search the various foods.  For example, this site lists the food's details and provides a grading system (e.g., "A, B, C, etc.").  When you are eating in the A's, you are eating great.  Some B's and C's here and there are okay.  But target the A's.  http://www.caloriecount.com/calories-beans-pinto-mature-seeds-i16343

Edited by Jeff Matthews

• Moderators

I hear you , I know what needs to be done but I have to get serious , I think I will save my 250.00 on this test for now

Well, I don't think Jeff or I are saying do nothing. So I hope you will save the 250.00, but will instead schedule a physical.

Do you have insurance?

If so the out of pocket should be way less than 250.00. Tell them that you want to start exercising and want to do a physical first.

At 50 they will give you an EKG, bloodwork, including PSA, rectal exam (don't defer it since you do not know your family history), liver panel, etc., etc.

Most important, they are going to take blood to see where you are on blood sugar, if pre-diabetic or not.

They will explain to you that being overweight is not good, but it is more important where you carry that fat in terms of health risk. That around gut, waist line is very bad, visceral fat, and that certain ratios of body measurements are as good, if not better, predictor of heart health risk.

Jeff is way more up to speed on this, he brought it up in some discussions a few months ago on diet, health and exercise. It is a stacked deck if you dont have professional help.

To lose weight the previous school of thought was either exercise more, or consume fewer calories. Which isn't true they have found, high fructose corn syrup calories will cause you to out on more weight, all things being equal. Then you get told to avoid fat for heart risks and then see all of the LOW FAT stuff on the shelvs does have the fat removed, and has been replaced with one form of sugar or another.

But even I can understand it with minimal trouble. If they cover a nutritionist in your plan you are really golden, they will help educate you. We have them on staff at our local grocery store.

I am glad yo see you are taking positive steps to find out where you currently stand, if it is safe to do some exercise, and a change in diet, and then let professionals assess your particular situation.

Travis