Life Line Screening

A1UC

You're asking for a humbling experience A1UC. Damn man, go to the doctor and get a physical and blood work. Nothing to it and it cost less than a pair of tubes you sold here a while back.

I'm not big on sharing my personal experiences online but I have experienced a triple by-pass and a subsequent heart attack in the last two years.

If you want to know what you experience when your heart stops let me know. It's humbling. Life is never sweeter than when you're on the verge of losing it.

I care about your life. Make up your mind that you care too friend.

Keith

• Like 2

My buddy is down to 300 lbs after a scare that informed him of a leaky heart valve, irregular heartbeat and enlarged heart. He was over 345 last year when he found out the bad news and has changed his lifestyle considerably.

I think that some of the posts in here are enlightening. Weight control, healthy diet and exercise are important cogs in the wheel of life. Myself, I have had a few health scares and I keep telling myself I need to change a bit more as well....but keep putting it off. Thanks to the info and other posts here I think I am going to try a little harder.

I think the LLS is capable of telling you if you have corroded artery problems, possible aortic aneurysms and such so I would not discount it. If you have a caring doctor he can surely run tests to let you know your status. If, on the other hand you have a doctor like mine he will tell you there is nothing to worry about and do nothing about it. If you are in doubt of your own health and do not feel secure in your doctor doing the tests you think you need LLS seems like a good choice. I have thought about it myself since both my parents passed due to heart and blood clot issues.

Tim

Edited by teaman

The screening is good and can detect certain vascular problems.  It is not comprehensive and you should not get a false sence of security from the screening.  We have all heard about the guy that dropped dead shortly after his doctor said he was healthy.  There is no way to get that 100% gurantee of nothing bad, that's life and it is a crap shoot.

Picking up plague on a scan is one thing but, what about coronary artery spasm, electrical problem.  They can be just has dangerous.  Just don't sign to be an organ donor, they may get a little happy if something happen and the medical people see the back of your driver's liscense, lol.  Some young doctor might need some transplant cases under his belt. :blink:

Edited by derrickdj1

I agree with the above.  Get a routine physical and establish a base line.  Do the same every year and establish a relationship with your doc.  Listen to what he has to say.  I started going every year when I hit 40.  You'll be glad you did and better off in the long run. 

• Like 1

One other small bit of advice.  After years of neglect, some people will try to get all motivated by working out real hard.  It will hurt, and they will think to themselves, "Work through it.  No pain, no gain."  

Don't do it that way.  If you are out of shape, you are likely to hurt yourself.  Muscle strains are not things you work through.  You want to avoid them.

I had a couple of small strains that set me back about 6 weeks when I started running, and that was after I walked for about 3 months.  Even working up to it slowly, I still got injured.

Be careful.  There is no big hurry.  Oldie's suggestion to begin by walking 45 minutes a day is a very good suggestion.  That's what I did for about 3 months.  About a month into it, I started doing some Youtube calisthenics, like below (I couldn't do all the reps when I first started).  These are good for re-building your core muscles for strength.  Most importantly, you must use good form and have controlled movements.  Good form is very important for avoiding injury.  Do not sacrifice form for more reps.  If your form breaks down, stop and rest.  You don't have to finish all the reps.  

Here you go:

Edited by Jeff Matthews

I think everyone should watch   Forks Over Knives   A lot of facts about the food we eat. Looks like the amount of protein the gov. has been recommending cause cancer. Seems the food groups we were told to eat was based on helping the meat and poultry industry imagine that..lol. I think it is still on Netflix after watching it I started eating different and lost the 30 lbs I gained after transplant do to drugs. I also bought a rice cooker before watching this mainly because I can not afford the meat and can get rice for less than a 1 dollar pound usually. But turns out I was already 75% vegetarian any way so going to 90 % was easy.

Get this the doctors all told me I get the cholesterol of the donors liver.....well I just proved that wrong mine went from 212 right after to 95 now. They also mention this in the video. Just thought I would let you all know about it. Rick 

• Like 1

I think everyone should watch   Forks Over Knives   A lot of facts about the food we eat. Looks like the amount of protein the gov. has been recommending cause cancer. Seems the food groups we were told to eat was based on helping the meat and poultry industry imagine that..lol. I think it is still on Netflix after watching it I started eating different and lost the 30 lbs I gained after transplant do to drugs. I also bought a rice cooker before watching this mainly because I can not afford the meat and can get rice for less than a 1 dollar pound usually. But turns out I was already 75% vegetarian any way so going to 90 % was easy.

Get this the doctors all told me I get the cholesterol of the donors liver.....well I just proved that wrong mine went from 212 right after to 95 now. They also mention this in the video. Just thought I would let you all know about it. Rick 

Eat like a bird, walk often, live long.