K 402 Tad 4002 paper gaskets and thread ?/s

juniper

Just received some Tad 4002's, and I am wondering if anyone knows the exact thread of the 4002 adaptors, and the length of the bolt to mate them to, the K 402? Also, the 4002's came with what appears to be paper gaskets between the adaptor ends, that could use new ones maybe, one seems to be worn more than the other. Are there any resources for these gaskets or suitable replacements? Does anyone know the torque specs mating the Tad 4002's to the k 402? Thanks any help would be awesome!

1/4-20 threads

post-26262-0-60440000-1450210738_thumb.j

I'd snug up the nuts on the 1/4-20 studs, but not terribly tight.  You're not trying to fix your plumbing ;)

The gaskets could be made from thick construction paper...cut to fit.  If you've got thin stick-on cork - that would also work.

Chris

Edited by Chris A

1/4-20 threads

attachicon.giftadcatalog5xk7.jpg

I'd snug up the nuts on the 1/4-20 studs, but not terribly tight.  You're not trying to fix your plumbing ;)

The gaskets could be made from thick construction paper...cut to fit.  If you've got thin stick-on cork - that would also work.

Chris

Thanks Chris! Do you recommend removing the old gaskets first, via razor blade scraping? Or just cut new ones out of paper and place right over the originals?

1/4-20 threads

attachicon.giftadcatalog5xk7.jpg

Chris

This is their entire tech info? for a driver that costs $3000 retail?

This is exciting seeing some used TADs make it onto K402s.  Let us know how they sound?

What are you using now on the horns and how do you EQ them?

that's never happened before?

Maybe before others tried new drivers? Just thinking out loud.

This is exciting seeing some used TADs make it onto K402s.  Let us know how they sound?

Using the K 69's right now and they sound very good using Roy's settings with the dx 38. Maybe Its the Panasonic saxr with this combo on the k69/402, but it sounds surprisingly good.  A/Bed it against spectron amps twice, 2 different one's, and it is the clear winner by a large margin.....  The reason for the Tads was all of good info I have received regarding this setup, and its been a joy to my ears, the Tads are the next piece in the puzzle.

Edited by juniper

What I meant was that these are over $3K new and can be had for $700 apiece on Ebay......that is a friggin landmark deal.  I haven't seen such a good audio deal in years, if ever.  That's how much of a difference I think they make.

If these turn out to be in good shape..........which I have no reason to believe they will not be.........well then, confirmed lottery winner as far as I'm concerned.  That is why I want to see curves with a mic 3ft. from the horn and pink noise.  I know what mine look like.

Basically, I'll go and buy a few pair if they are still there.   :)   They guy had 12 pair.

What I meant was that these are over $3K new and can be had for $700 apiece on Ebay......that is a friggin landmark deal.  I haven't seen such a good audio deal in years, if ever.  That's how much of a difference I think they make.

If these turn out to be in good shape..........which I have no reason to believe they will not be.........well then, confirmed lottery winner as far as I'm concerned.  That is why I want to see curves with a mic 3ft. from the horn and pink noise.  I know what mine look like.

Basically, I'll go and buy a few pair if they are still there.   :)   They guy had 12 pair.

I hope it is a good deal, if they work to specs, it will be.... we shall see!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Well?  Have you tried them yet?

Nope, UPS took care of one of the frams..... They are soooo lame......

Please elaborate. One of the diaphragms is damaged? All the way down inside this driver, damaged by UPS? I'm curious cuz I got a set also from same seller. So even if they read OK with a meter I have to visually inspect?

The other issue is that they are pretty much unobtainable new.  At least I don't know how to get them and would probably not pay the price anyhow.

I don't recall the model numbers but I think the 4001 and 4002 were both replaced by the 4003.  I do however, reserve the right to be wrong.

If the diaphragm is broken/cracked, it's not going to be pretty.  Those are 'spensive to replace....IF you can find them.

I once saw them on Ebay.  My (poor) recollection is they were about $800.

I've never ever, seen them since.

Be ginger.....be very ginger.

Well?  Have you tried them yet?

Nope, UPS took care of one of the frams..... They are soooo lame......

Please elaborate. One of the diaphragms is damaged? All the way down inside this driver, damaged by UPS? I'm curious cuz I got a set also from same seller. So even if they read OK with a meter I have to visually inspect?

Yes, all the way down in the belly of the driver.... must have been a "big hit" from UPS, Monty at THS, inspected it, and the fram was torn at the edge, a replacement is in the mail. They were packaged and labeled properly, but one of the CD's read open, so I sent it back.... sad to hear UPS trashed them.... rare frams as they are... You should be good to go if you are getting good readings.

If the diaphragm is broken/cracked, it's not going to be pretty.  Those are 'spensive to replace....IF you can find them.

I once saw them on Ebay.  My (poor) recollection is they were about $800.

I've never ever, seen them since.

Be ginger.....be very ginger.

Hey Coytee! Thanks again for all the help! Good thing is, this gentleman has so many of these he is sending a new unit out, that is fairly closely matched to the other one that works WELL, from what I have heard....The micro detail of the BE, Tad combo is astounding, with the 402....