Klipsch Forte II's - $600 (Allen, TX)

Arrow#422

Mmmm, walnut.  Nice score.

I have a suggestion: rather than stacking the speakers (not the best recipe for stereo imaging/soundstage), wire the HWO up as rears in a Hafler Dynaquad style setup.  Never tried it?  It's easy.  Leave the fortes up front as your main L and R, place the Heresies to the side/rear as wide and far back behind the mlp as possible.  Next, on the Heresies, disconnect the black/negative leads from the amp but leave the red/postive leads connected; connect the negative speaker leads that were connected to the amp to each other.  Voila, you've just extracted and sent the Left minus Right difference signal to the Heresies.  What this does is send any information that is not mono or in phase to the rear speakers, the more panned away from dead center or out of phase the sound is, the more it is channeled to the rears.  This all may sound kind of ridiculous, but it really works, and the results are completely naturalistic.  Try it.

Edited by Ski Bum

Oh, further thoughts on the ghetto Dynaquad method...the rears will be getting a mono signal wired in series like I described, but you can wire the rear speakers out of phase relative each other to help reduce localization and produce that diffuse, disembodied sound field you want from the ambient channels.  Almost no bass gets sent to the rears so it will not tax your amp as much as running both speakers simultaneously and properly connected.  

With wet recordings, the ambient acoustic cues goes to the rears quite effectively.  Specific instruments or vocalists that are panned off center get just enough sent to the rears to really help the image pop.  Really good live recordings translate very well, and this Hafler gimmick will put you at the show.  It's pretty effective if primordial surround sound, organic and subtle. 

Mmmm, walnut.  Nice score.

I have a suggestion: rather than stacking the speakers (not the best recipe for stereo imaging/soundstage), wire the HWO up as rears in a Hafler Dynaquad style setup.  Never tried it?  It's easy.  Leave the fortes up front as your main L and R, place the Heresies to the side/rear as wide and far back behind the mlp as possible.  Next, on the Heresies, disconnect the black/negative leads from the amp but leave the red/postive leads connected; connect the negative speaker leads that were connected to the amp to each other.  Voila, you've just extracted and sent the Left minus Right difference signal to the Heresies.  What this does is send any information that is not mono or in phase to the rear speakers, the more panned away from dead center or out of phase the sound is, the more it is channeled to the rears.  This all may sound kind of ridiculous, but it really works, and the results are completely naturalistic.  Try it.

Is this also called bridging?

Yes, you are correct. I have speaker system "a" and "b". I am able to use both systems at the same time, but was wondering if it was a good idea or not.

It is a personal preference, I suggest you try both and see what sounds good to your ears.

I have done that with an older 60w receiver with different speakers and I liked running the A channel only.  There was better dynamics with one pair.  Using two pair with A/B channels I thought the sound was smoothed out and had a larger sound stage. 

Take my experience with a grain of salt because my receiver is not a strong as yours is, and my speakers are not nearly as efficient as yours are.

+++

Edit:  BTW Bob Crites is an active member of the Klipsch Forums.  I have not done business with him (yet) but I find his posts extremely informative and helpful.

Edited by wvu80

Very Nice score the Forte II's are one of my favorites like others have said you will have to play with them to get them dialed in to your room. Mine sounded best 12" from the rear and side walls aimed directly at me but everyone's room is different enjoy!!

• Like 1

I have a suggestion: rather than stacking the speakers (not the best recipe for stereo imaging/soundstage), wire the HWO up as rears in a Hafler Dynaquad style setup.

(respectful snip!)

This all may sound kind of ridiculous, but it really works, and the results are completely naturalistic. Try it.

Dave Mallette will be along shortly to agree with you.  B)

Edited by wvu80

Arrow: Will definitely continue to contribute to the shared information wealth. When I was demoing my new speakers, the seller showed me his impressive Klipsch heritage setup. He had several awesome pairs of speakers. He mentioned that he was selling this set of fortes to help fund a purchase of K-Horns. This guy was awesome.

WV80: Thanks for your feedback and experience. I did end up running my fortes and Heresey at the same time, and was pleasantly surprised. The Heresey definitely added some higher to upper mid frequency to the Forte (not that the Fortes were slacking) but certainly didn't distract from their own sound. Kinda odd, but the way I would describe it is like painting by numbers and then realizing you could add some highlights without distracting from the main painting. Hopefully that makes sense.

In any case, I will keep my Heresy's around for a while longer. I will be giving my KG4s to my sister as a Xmas gift, will go with her Marantz I gave her a while back.

As for what the future holds, my immediate need is to get one of the passive radiator repaired as the seller was upfront and we discussed the broken radiator. I will be sending both radiators to simply speakers to be reconed. After that, I am looking into ALK's crossovers for the Fortes. But that's the plan for today, who knows what tomorrow or next week shall bring.