New Member … Needs Some Help Please - Pics.

AdamITR

I have a small room 9’W x 12’L.  I use it as a Den/Listening Room.  I’m in the process of setting it up as a general HT/Gaming Room.

The equipment I’m using - 5.1 setup:

Sharp 1080p 32” LED TV

Sony STR-DA5ES A/V Receiver (Old School, But Still Sounds Amazing)

Sony BD Player

Apple TV

Mac Mini (Media Server)

Klipsch RSX5 Speakers

Klipsch RCX4 Center Speaker

Atlantic Technology 262 Subwoofer

The room has a lot of oddities to it.  It has a large window on the far end, a side window on the long wall, a closet door that I need access to, a large cold air return, and a heat vent.

Combine a desk and computer for my family, and a large “Fly-Fishing,” desk, it makes it difficult to get everything setup as I want it.

As of right now, I have wall mounted the TV on the interior long wall, and have the center channel on a stand below.  The components are to the left of the center channel on a black metal stand.  The left speaker on a stand in the corner, very close to the components.  The subwoofer is on the right side, and the right speaker is on the other side of the sub, giving just enough room for the closet door to open.  So basically the equipment is all shifted to the left (not centered on the wall).

I’ll be purchasing a love seat to place opposite the TV in the next day or so.  Distance from the seating position to the center channel is about 7'.

Questions:

Where should I mount the rear speakers? Up high in the corners aimed down??  I have no problem running wires.

Is there any other layout options that I might have for the room?

What is the best method to deal with wire management … the old receiver has me using more cables.

Here are the pics.

Current Picture as of 1/9/16:

rsx5.jpg

Pictures Taken the other day which show room … messy, as I was unboxing things, etc.:

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

First of all welcome.  Good job with the pictures, that really helps.  :emotion-21:

Let's take this slow.  I have a couple of questions and an observation.

As I am looking into the window with the candle on it and computer desk on right, is that a surround mounted on a shelf up high?

Are you running 5.1 (side surrounds) or 7.1 (side AND rear surrounds).

Also, as I look at that room you have a lot of hard, flat surfaces that will bounce sound waves all over the place.  The new love seat will help, but that room is just begging for some kind of room treatment.  Others will have more specific suggestions a bit later.

And before you ask, "no," although they are asymmetrical, big mouth bass is NOT generally considered an adequate room treatment!

singing+fish.jpg

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 1

Thanks for the welcome!  

I'll try to answer:

There is a shelf right above the TV ... that is NOT a surround speaker, just a cardboard box.

I will only be running a 5.1 system.  So I assume that will be just side surrounds?

Yes, I understand about room treatment.  It was actually wood paneling, that was covered with drywall.  New wood floors were added, and I just have the carpet.  The room right now seems "Over-Crowed.  I'm looking for ideas, such as a corner desk, elimination of the fly-fishing desk, etc.  

Still laughing about the Large Mouth Bass comment :).  In my younger years, I was an avid fisherman in Upstate, NY where I currently reside.

Another comment ... should I also be looking to make an upgrade on the receiver??  To something 4K, HDMI, etc??

AdamlTR,

Welcome to the forum.

Klipsch RSX5 Speakers Klipsch RCX4 Center Speaker

Not much to say about your room but those RSX speakers are great for a small room.  With a well blended subwoofer they can hold their on.

I have been using a complete RVX-42 System(RVX-42 L-C-R, RSX-4's surrounds, RW-10d subwoofer) for about 7.5 years as my 5.1 in my bedroom and can't find any reason to change.

Bill

Welcome.

My bearings are a little off in your room I think.... But when your love seat arrives I think it'll go to the right of the desk/table as you're sitting at the desk/table.

1) I would rotate your desk 90* to the left and out under the big window. That then gives you room in that corner for your rear surround placement on the wall a foot or so above seated ear height. as well as more side-to-side space for the love seat.

2) Your center channel needs to be flush with the end of the cabinet it's sitting on. Otherwise some of your sound is being reflected all over when it smacks that surface.. Instead of firing towards you.

3) clear out the stuffs on the walls to the right of both pictures by about 12" each side. Then pick out some heavy curtains to hang & flank/frame the windows. One- you can now block out light better than pull down blinds, and two- they will help absorb some reflections. (The higher you mount them on the wall- they'll look more like columns and they have the tendency to make your room feel bigger/taller)

4) download the app called Houzz for some small room inspiration.

5) best management for wires? In wall. Second best, behind/under baseboard floor trim. Third best, tucked away nicely.

When in doubt, ask the women in the house how it looks. Wife approval factor or Wife acceptance factor, WAF, will help you with this one!

6) a picture from the entrance to the room? Maybe farther back so we can get a perspective on the whole room? I'm having a hard time figuring out which wall is which amd where you're placing speakers and couch. And where is the fly fishing desk?? Is that the one with the computer on it?

2) Your center channel needs to be flush with the end of the cabinet it's sitting on. Otherwise some of your sound is being reflected all over when it smacks that surface.. Instead of firing towards you.

Agree 99% of the time with this. 

BUT...I saw the fly fishing cab had a child-proof lock on it.  If there is a toddler around, especially boys who love to climb, then my thinking about "ideal" placement goes out the window.  You've got to mount everything UP and BACK so they can't get to it!  :rolleyes:

6) a picture from the entrance to the room? Maybe farther back so we can get a perspective on the whole room? I'm having a hard time figuring out which wall is which and where you're placing speakers and couch. And where is the fly fishing desk?? Is that the one with the computer on it?

I think that's the one with the child-proof lock.  Not sure.

I agree with every point you made, I just highlighted the couple of things I wanted to comment on.

And my question about 5.1 or 7.1 further upstream ^^^ had to do with your idea of placing the surrounds on the back wall.  I would not put them there.  As Mercedes just pointed out, the side surrounds should be above ear height to the side, and slightly behind or beside the main listening position, the love seat.

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 1

First of all welcome.  Good job with the pictures, that really helps.  :emotion-21:

Let's take this slow.  I have a couple of questions and an observation.

As I am looking into the window with the candle on it and computer desk on right, is that a surround mounted on a shelf up high?

Are you running 5.1 (side surrounds) or 7.1 (side AND rear surrounds).

Also, as I look at that room you have a lot of hard, flat surfaces that will bounce sound waves all over the place.  The new love seat will help, but that room is just begging for some kind of room treatment.  Others will have more specific suggestions a bit later.

And before you ask, "no," although they are asymmetrical, big mouth bass is NOT generally considered an adequate room treatment!

singing+fish.jpg

The wife got rid of my Billy Bass, lol.

• Like 1

Some excellent ideas, and thanks for the welcome!  

Yes, I will be cleaning up the room today (rainy day here).  I can move the desk with the computer under the large window, not a problem.  

Should the surrounds be at ear level, or should I mount them higher up, and aim them down?

The love seat will be very close to the fly-fishing desk (the desk with the child-lock) ... actually making the bottom drawers unusable.  

Yes I have a 4 yr. old son.  Worse is a 2yr. old cat, which likes speaker grills.  I cover them, when not in use ... another story, different time.

With the fly-fishing desk in the current spot, there is no place to correctly wall-mount the surround at ear level????

I'm very tempted to find a different spot in the house for it.  It was made by my brother, so it is sentimental.

Any other ideas?

More pics from outside the room:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Oh wow. Yes those pictures give a better scale. To me at least.

Btw- my recommendation of moving the desk to under the window is I think it will help make the room feel less cluttered and I think it'll balance the room better.

For surrounds. Depends on the type of speaker I believe as to whether you tilt or run parallel.

My gut says they should run parallel to the floor which should give a more immersive sound because you won't be able to pinpoint the source as easy.

• Like 1

If you're set on not moving the fly fishing secretary style desk- you can mount your surround speakers above the top of cabinet on wall--- and do your opposing surround speaker exactly same height and and distances.

Another option is to use them as rear surrounds instead of side sureounds. In this instance- mount them to the rear wall either inboard our outboard of your wall sconces. Probably outboard.... And I would guess about the same height as those sconces.

Rear surrounds are MOSTLY ambience... And sometimes there is important data from those speakers. A distant voice behind you, or something important to the storyline. Usually though- they seem to be mostly ambient surround 'effects' Like collisions, booms, rustling noises, wind, etc..

I wouldn't get OVERLY worked up on precision and industry standards on the rears. Work with your room. THX is a perfect world. Our rooms are not.

Start with them pointed straight ahead... And if the speakers are easily adjustable - start to slowly aim them differently and see what YOU prefer.

My guess is if you mount them outboard of the wall sconces... And equal height.. My guess says you'll angle the speakers inwards towards the listening position 20-25* And probably have a slight downwards tilt.

Made some changes this evening.  Moved the desk, made room for the seating, and planned where the surrounds will go.  My wife decided that they will be placed up higher in the corners, aimed down :)  Working on the "curtains" now with her.  Anyone have any other suggestions?  

Pics:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

Mercedes Berater and I aren't going to get into a bar room brawl over disagreements anytime soon, that's for sure.  I'm with you all the way on all your suggestions.  B)

+++

I have an idea, it's not quite to the level of a suggestion.  I usually have to see and try things before I know if it will work for me.

What do you think of the idea of using the black metal shelf which currently has the electronics on it, and put the center speaker on it?  Then move the wood shelf holding the albums somewhere else?  I think it would clean up the front end under the TV and make things look more symmetrical.

+++

Curtains:

I was thinking a "black out"  or maybe Thermal curtain.  You want something to keep the windows from producing a glare that is directly opposed to the TV.  You can also search on "sound proofing" at Walmart to see some suggestions.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Eclipse-Nottingham-Grommeted-Thermaback-Panel/37212715?action=product_interest&action_type=title&item_id=37212715&placement_id=irs-2-m3&strategy=PWVUB&visitor_id&category=&client_guid=0b9d14e5-a1fc-4137-9a7d-defc60625e88&customer_id_enc&config_id=2&parent_item_id=36612052&parent_anchor_item_id=36612052&guid=d5041271-2513-438a-8d15-dca9d52fe0e1&bucket_id=irsbucketdefault&beacon_version=1.0.1&findingMethod=p13n

k2-_07307ea3-c9e9-4ad9-bc9e-83239ad18965

This one is a $20 Microfiber Grommet Blackout Energy-Efficient curtain panel and goes to the floor.

k2-_90b13787-5d25-4c47-85f7-2d8a9fd07d24

Edited by wvu80