Upgrading Home Theater Speaker System

ajgale1975

In addition to adding 4k this year, I am planning on upgrading my current Sony sound bar to a Klipsch 5.1 system (I do not have space for 7.1).  I have attached some pics of my challenges including a general layout to give reference.  As you can see my walls are all over the place so they present a challenge. 

Dimensions:

Living Room 12'x14'x9'

Dining Room 12'14'x9'

Hallway is 3 feet wide

Viewing distance from my couch to the TV is ranges from 7-8 feet. The area between the stairs and the living room is actually not a wall but rather a banister.

I am unsure of a receiver yet but I am looking at the reference or reference premier speakers. My primary coverage area is the living room totalling just over 1500 cubic feet so I have been classifying this as a medium size room. In the future I can eventually move the setup to a better space of equal size but more enclosed, however that's not an option at the moment. The system will be 90% Movies, streaming, TV and 10% music.

I originally set myself a budget of 2k not including the receiver but that can be fudged a bit if necessary.

My initial thoughts were the RP-260F or R-26F, though I am unsure if these are the right size for this room (I could be convinced to with the RP-280F/R-28F or RP-250F/R-24F) and a  RP-250C (RP-440C will barely fit in my entertainment center) or R-25C. I am unsure whether I should go with surround speakers such as the RP-250/240S or R-14S or bookshelf speakers such as RP160/150M or R015/14M for my back speakers.  I will be adding a subwoofer as well and welcome any suggestions.  My eventual goal is to add Dolby Atmos and will be most likely adding RP-140SA in the very near future.

I would welcome any help or suggestions. Thanks!

Andrew

post-62245-0-18140000-1452617117_thumb.j

post-62245-0-57860000-1452617132_thumb.j

post-62245-0-80740000-1452617145_thumb.j

Edited by ajgale1975

Welcome to the forum! 

If it will fit - I'd highly recommend the 440C over the 250C.  The more center, the better experience.  It's often the weakest link and for HT, it's the most important piece. Good luck - post pics when it's all set up and enjoy!!!

You said movies are a priority, I would make the larger center fit as it is important. If you are considering premiere dont buy the models under. If you get a good sub later rp260f will do fine, I have just helped to install a mates system with rp260f and twin 10" subs, very impressed for the price. I always suggest monopoles as surrounds(personal preference) and the rp160m have great reviews on their own, should be cheaper too? Good luck!

I doubt I will put in twin subs but I will be adding a nice 10" sub.

I have 26.5 inches width in my entertainment center , the 440 is 26 inches. I am afraid I might have some rattling going on but I think it MIGHT fit.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Edited by ajgale1975

Can you put the center on top of the entertainment center? Aesthetics and good audio usually go against each other unless you have a sickness like some of us. I would also strongly recommend another 10" or a larger sub especially for movies- it will make a difference.

How much space would you recommend on the sides of the center speaker if I placed it IN the entertainment center? I have 26.5 inches of width, where the 440 is 26 inches. That doesn't give me much leeway.  Height and depth should not be issues. 

Subwoofer wise, the issue is space, as you could tell by the pics.  I MIGHT be able to manage two however from a budget standpoint I would need to go two 10".  Would you recommend a single 12" or two 10"?

Edited by ajgale1975

Problem with putting a center in anything is its rear ported. I have two friends with rp center that's are in their media centers and I think both of them sound like crap. Make a way to get it on top. Buy the 450c. Maybe it is big enough for your tv to sit on top of. Problem solved. As for subs. Get the 12". I've had all the new 10,12,15 models. The 10 runs out of steam very quickly. 12 has a little more in it and digs a bit deeper. If you can make a single 15" work go that route over duals even. The 15 is much better sub than the 12.

Ok so been doing some measuring. As you can see by my pic, I don't have a lot of room up front. I can fit the RP-260s and a 440C up front. I have room for the 2 surrounds and sub in the back.

The room I have is only 1344 cubic feet (8 foot ceilings) but is open on the back side. I have a second room that is 1475 cubic feet. I don't use and it's more inconvenient to use this room though.

So here is what I am looking at:

2 RP-260F

1 RP-440C (this will be in an entertainment center, no way around it)

1 R-112SW

2 RP-250S

So here are my questions. Based on my room sizes am I going to regret not going the 280s or should I find a way to cram them in. Based on the room size and dropping to the 260s should I drop to the 10 inch sub and/or the 240 surrounds?

BTW printing these with a Denon AVR-X4200W

post-62245-0-78500000-1452823703_thumb.j

Edited by ajgale1975

I've owned them both. Same with 62,82, 62ii, and 82ii. I always felt the 62 series was every bit of the 82 unless ran full range. So I say go with the 260. But like I have said if you can squeeze the 115 I'd get it over the 112. It's a MUCH MUCH MUCH better sub.

Nothing in the RP series is gonna be "too much" for anything. I'd say unless your room huge and your surround will be more than 8-10 feet away get the smaller ones. Unless you a what if kind of guy. Now I'm telling you to skimp on this stuff in lieu of the bigger sub. If your still dead set on the smaller sub and have the budget to afford the bigger surrounds by all means get them.