Universal Disc Player recommendation please

vandec54

Oppo has turned into the Yeti of blu ray players.  Kind of a status symbol more than anything

Not my experience.

Super fast loading times, great build, plays everything without a hitch, very reliable, sounds great, all of which sum up my experience with my previous BDP-83 and my current Cambridge Audio 751BD(same Mediatek chipset as BDP-95)

With that said, most $100.00 BD players do what is asked of them.

Bill

I have not experienced upper-end Blur-ray players on video but think where the exclusivity actually is is on reproducing the multichannel audio....Honestly, for those  fortunate to have catalogs of DVD-A and SACDs (along with DTS 5.1 Music) the hot ticket would be to have that crap digitized....M next project is to look into Foobar2000.    My 2 cents.

I will not be using it for SACDs.  I just based my response on hearing so much about the Oppo.

So......If I am primarily going to be using it for Movie watching could you please recommend the best BDP player and if possible a model that could also be used for 4k if I make the switch in the future?  Thank you

Kind of a status symbol more than anything.

Yep.  Guess they've made a lot of money, but they started out offering high end performance at low end prices.  Fuhgedduboutit.  Way out of line for what you get now. 

I've a Sony I paid a bit over 100.00 for that produces video more than adequate to my needs.  I'd state I am not a videophile.  Best video I've ever seen still fails the "Mallette's Cat" test.  Until that changes, and maybe even then, I'll stick with audio.

Dave

We've been very pleased with the Oppo-103 in our HT system but haven't really done any comparisons with other models for video.

I've always been a Marantz fan for audio and it goes well with Klipsch. HOWEVER ... Marantz CD players I've tried in the past year have had some serious quality issues. Very disappointing. Returned 3 defective players in a row to Music Direct when trying to upgrade our 2 ch system. Finally located a lightly used Oppo-95 and installed it - no problems and great sound. I do not know if the quality problem I encountered with the CD player extends to Marantz multi-disc players, but I'd do some research before purchasing.

Best of luck.