Who's using phones with tube amps?

tube fanatic

I have 3 amps that do. I do due to a dislike of SS devices and sonics. I chose tubes over SS for the same reasons I chose tubes in other amps. Seems there are 3 major camps for tubes and phones. 1 tube as input to mosfet, 2 tube power amp with transformers (road least traveled) and then otl.

Would 12B4A be a reasonable choice for headphone tube amp?

Yes, the 12B4 could be used although it's not the most linear triode around.  Ask JP if he can run it in his simulator.  If not, I can draw out some curves for you manually.  As Justin pointed out, the power need with phones is so tiny that almost any tube could be suitable (the phones Michael mentioned above, if I recall correctly, claimed something like 100 db output with only 1 milliwatt!).  The 6W6, triode strapped, is an excellent choice for low power use.  Or, if you really want to do it on a budget, one of my Little Gem SET variants would do an excellent job as well.

Maynard 

Would 12B4A be a reasonable choice for headphone tube amp?

What is the headphone impedance? And what topology?

I have had good luck using cheap line matching transformers for headphone power and tubes. 

http://www.parts-express.com/70v-10w-speaker-line-matching-transformer--300-040

I had a bunch of these laying around from a job I did. 1 watt into most headphones is more than plenty.

Hell, I don't even have headphones... :ph34r: I was just curious if 12B4A would be worthwhile in a headphone amplifier.

I have had good luck using cheap line matching transformers for headphone power and tubes

I think I may have one or two of those...

Edited by mike stehr

Seems there are 3 major camps for tubes and phones. 1 tube as input to mosfet, 2 tube power amp with transformers (road least traveled) and then otl.

I have examples of all three types; however, I tend to user them with certain other equipment as a "system" rather than decide upon individual preferences. 

My first example of tube/mosfet is the Pete Millett starving student hybrid.  More information can be found at the link below to Pete's website.

http://www.pmillett.com/starving.htm

_ Pete Millett Starving Student hybrid headphone amp 01.jpg

_ Pete Millett Starving Student hybrid headphone amp 02.jpg

_ Pete Millett Starving Student hybrid headphone amp 03.jpg

_ Pete Millett Starving Student hybrid headphone amp 04.jpg

starvi1.gif

post-36163-0-31740000-1452894556_thumb.j

post-36163-0-02500000-1452894573_thumb.j

post-36163-0-62980000-1452894585_thumb.j

post-36163-0-01940000-1452894596_thumb.j

Edited by Fjd

My headphone amplifier with output transformers is one that Dennis Had sells on eBay periodically.  Here are excerpts of portions of the overview that was provided on the eBay ad.

Stereo integrated vacuum tube headphone amplifier featuring dual triode 6SN7 (6BL7, 6BX7) tubes.  The entire signal path is direct coupled.  There are no coupling caps in the signal path.  The output signal to the cans is directly derived from the special custom wound air-gaped output transformers.  No resistors, zobel networks or switches in the signal path.  I have listed a few of the highlights below:

* Dual Triode 6SN7 tubes in class A single-ended zero feedback ..  6BL7 or 6BX7 tubes maybe used as well 
* Dual Pi-Network, Dual Filter Choke Power Supply 
* Vacuum Tube Rectification featuring the Tube Store 274B rectifier tube
* Alps "Blue Velvet" volume control
* Selectable two line inputs with a center position MUTE position
* Dual Headphone Outputs 
* Precision non-inductive metal film resistors
* Gold Plated RCA input jacks
* EE Teflon silver stranded 19 strand hook up wiring
* Custom Designed Air-Gap high impedance output transformers 
* 150% Duty Cycle CCS Power Transformer with internal copper strap 
* 100/120/240 VAC 50/60 Hz power transformers for any country of operation
* .080 Aluminum chassis and bottom plate 
*  Frequency response 12 Hz to 33 Khz + - 0 dB  
* Power Output at 32 ohms 1.125 watts

_ TUBE HEADPHONE AMPLIFIER INSPIRE by DENNIS HAD 6SN7 SINGLE-ENDED Class A Amp 05.jpg

_ TUBE HEADPHONE AMPLIFIER INSPIRE by DENNIS HAD 6SN7 SINGLE-ENDED Class A Amp  04.jpg

_ TUBE HEADPHONE AMPLIFIER INSPIRE by DENNIS HAD 6SN7 SINGLE-ENDED Class A Amp  03.jpg

_ TUBE HEADPHONE AMPLIFIER INSPIRE by DENNIS HAD 6SN7 SINGLE-ENDED Class A Amp  02.jpg

_ TUBE HEADPHONE AMPLIFIER INSPIRE by DENNIS HAD 6SN7 SINGLE-ENDED Class A Amp  01.jpg

Edited by Fjd

Finally, here is a little headphone amp that I have based on the diyaudioprojects website link below.

The 12AU7 tube provides the voltage gain and the IRF510 Mosfet provides the current gain. The amp uses a LM317 adjustable linear voltage regulator as a constant current source (CCS) to move the Mosfet into the linear region and bias the amp into Class A operation. The headphone amp uses a 12v re-chargeable battery to operate. The circuit is a very simple design.

http://diyaudioproje...-LM317-Headamp/

12AU7 tube - IRF 510 Mosfet headphone amp 1.jpg

12AU7 tube - IRF 510 Mosfet headphone amp 2.jpg

12AU7-IRF510-Headphone-Amp-Schematic.png

Edited by Fjd