Is this what you experience in your Home Theater?

NBPK402

I just noticed something strange in my setup...which I think is a positive thing, though I am not quite sure.

Normally when I listen to music...if i move my head the sound will change, but today it didn't. I have noticed in the past that if i move forward or get up the sound also changes. I have noticed this for years with every setup i have ever owned.

Today I was listening to some music at about 110db in the MLP, and I noticed that it made no difference at all if I moved, got up and walked around the room...the music still sounded tonally exactly the same plus the vocalist and instruments sounded like they were coming from the same location no matter where I stood or sat. The only thing I did was rerun YPAO to get my EQ settings for Atmos, and then delete them all and re-input them manually for only the Atmos channels (all the rest of the channels were reset to factory defaults). Now I am running Dirac, but i have been running it for months and i have not re-tuned it at all.

Is this the way it should be? I tried it at around 100db and the results were the same (I had thought at first that it was due to the volume, but now i am not sure).

Today I was listening to some music at about 110db in the MLP, and I noticed that it made no difference at all if I moved, got up and walked around the room...the music still sounded tonally exactly the same plus the vocalist and instruments sounded like they were coming from the same location no matter where I stood or sat...I have not re-tuned it at all. Is this the way it should be?

I tried it at around 100db and the results were the same (I had thought at first that it was due to the volume, but now i am not sure).

The short answer is: yes.  It's probably very close to the same experience if you went to a pretty good cinema with good sound system.  In fact, my wife and I noticed that our at-home system actually sounded better (the local theater that had the powered reclining chairs also had JBL sound systems, and I have to say that cinema sound system had really irritating subwoofer sound and strident highs-that my home system clearly doesn't have). 

I also have the pause button on my remote at home, and popcorn is a lot cheaper. ;)

One of the goals for my HT experience has been to put together a sound system that doesn't care where you sit or stand anywhere in the room.  I've exceeded that, I believe.  It's really nice.

Chris

P.S.  I don't have to listen at 110 dB to get the HT experience, in fact, I find that it takes a lot less on average to have a "you are there" experience.

Edited by Chris A
  • Like 2

Also it should be mentioned that if you try to do that with loudspeakers that aren't horn-loaded (direct radiators, that is), you're not going to do it very long before voice coil heating rains on your parade...and you'll additionally have to endure the sound of "loud" (i.e. modulation distortion at obnoxious levels) even while the voice coils aren't red hot.  Toole actually talks about this in his book - about the "dangers of owning horn-loaded loudspeakers". :emotion-14: "You'll play them too loud."  :emotion-55:

Horn loading makes it all possible to have full dynamic performance reproduction without compression or voice coil heating (ohmic heating) issues changing the characteristics of your loudspeakers to make them sound, well, not very good, until they cool off again. 

Chris

• Like 1