K-510 vs Elip 400

Gorm

I have to volunteer here a vote for 3 way as well, and ask the OP if he already heard 2-way and prefers it.........or if this is an experiment based on things read on this forum.

I've heard most of the 2-way setups JC mentioned and have had my own for a few years up to recently when I converted it to a 3-way.  It simply boils down to personal preference.

I look at 2-way like this.............It's possible.  It works.  It sounds good..........AND.........it never sounded as good as 3-way to me.  I tried numerous different drivers, crossovers, passive, active, bass cabinets, amps, preamps, tubes, s/s..........you name it.  I gave it its chance.  I used the 402.  Thank heavens I acquired some 510s to fashion tweeters on them so I could enjoy the full potential of the speaker system.

My number 1 (and only really) complaint about 2-way is that while you can measure the FR to full extension, you simply don't get the same high end emphasis you get with a tweeter.

But again, it's personal preference.

I would get the eliptrac because you can add a tweeter easier to it if you ever decide to.  it will also be easier to manage within a conventional setup as JC and Dean mention.

I have listened to 2-way 510/K69's on several different bass bins and was not overly impressed with horn or driver.

Then heard the 510/K69 in 3-way. Man that combo can TWEET!

3-way is my preference as well. But I wonder. Could age be a factor in that preference?

Example: Some of our (ahumm) older forum members that mod run JBL 2404's wide open on 102db bass bins. ???

tc

I have to volunteer here a vote for 3 way as well, and ask the OP if he already heard 2-way and prefers it.........or if this is an experiment based on things read on this forum.

I've heard most of the 2-way setups JC mentioned and have had my own for a few years up to recently when I converted it to a 3-way.  It simply boils down to personal preference.

I look at 2-way like this.............It's possible.  It works.  It sounds good..........AND.........it never sounded as good as 3-way to me.  I tried numerous different drivers, crossovers, passive, active, bass cabinets, amps, preamps, tubes, s/s..........you name it.  I gave it its chance.  I used the 402.  Thank heavens I acquired some 510s to fashion tweeters on them so I could enjoy the full potential of the speaker system.

My number 1 (and only really) complaint about 2-way is that while you can measure the FR to full extension, you simply don't get the same high end emphasis you get with a tweeter.

But again, it's personal preference.

I would get the eliptrac because you can add a tweeter easier to it if you ever decide to.  it will also be easier to manage within a conventional setup as JC and Dean mention.

I have listened to 2-way 510/K69's on several different bass bins and was not overly impressed with horn or driver.

3-way is my preference as well. But I wonder. Could age be a factor in that preference?

Example: Some of our (ahumm) older forum members that mod run JBL 2404's wide open on 102db bass bins. ???

tc

I run 2404s but they are knocked down 3db with ALK attenuators.  I did however prefer the 2404s to K77s even when run wide open they sounded smoother to me.  I was about 45 when I put the JBLs into the Khorns.  I don't know why they are not discussed more on here prices have actually dropped to where they seem like a no brainer.  Great tweeters.

tc

Yeah..........my aging ears probably require tweeters.  Klipsch makes you go deaf and then you have to buy the bigger speakers with more drivers.  That's why I have 5-way.

tc

Yeah..........my aging ears probably require tweeters.  Klipsch makes you go deaf and then you have to buy the bigger speakers with more drivers.  That's why I have 5-way.

My aging ears still require the small-mouthed chirping bird perched on my horns tweeting......

Mark1101.....hey I bet you have that 510 horn playing from 6000Hz and up. We all know it dies after 16,000Hz. You need a super tweeter....bullet perhaps to get you past 20K.

• Like 1