FS: Nosvalves NBS preamplifier with MM and LOMC phono

jwc

I'm selling my NBS Nosvalves preamplifier. I bought it from the garage section here in December. I bought it to player my Technics TT. Works great and dead quiet. No buzz or hiss. Very good sound. I had it hooked up to my McIntosh MC275's.

I see no flaws. I apologize if I missed one but I really don't see any. I will let you know, I never took the preamp out of the wood case. It is stable in there and ships in there.

This thing is built like a tank with a wonderful case. There is no remote. Has two TT inputs and a seperate set of outputs for a sub if wanted.

I'm selling as I sadly don't even turn my stereo on. Much less have the time to play records. I've been in the process over time selling stuff and I bought this out of impulse. I'm really just gonna have to have a HT and stereo combo as my kids use this audio room more than me. I'm too afraid for them to touch this unit. I've boxed up some of my amps too.

I bought this from USNRET and he stated the below information.....he got from Craig. I paid him $2484.18 shipped.

NBS preamp with LO and HO phono stages.  I believe he may have had $2704 for the preamp and $350 for the case.

Upgrade Hi Z output caps to Jupiter HT flat stacks

1- Add optional Low Z 12AT7 cathode follower output for 2nd set of outputs

1- Optional; Basic Low Output Moving coil step up

$2300 shipped insured and really boxed up well....uh really well.

post-14392-0-15960000-1456019479_thumb.j

post-14392-0-44720000-1456019504_thumb.j

post-14392-0-11600000-1456019555_thumb.j

post-14392-0-82040000-1456019612_thumb.j

post-14392-0-89400000-1456019644_thumb.j

Edited by jwc

That package would cost MSRP of $3234 today and the Klipsch forum members get 10% off the base price of $2099 so new would end up $3024.10 just to give folks a point of reference. The 2704.10 was without the wood cabinet which now costs $385 back when this was built the cabinets were $350 so the original owner had 3054.10 plus shipping in it.  

Thanks Craig.  I think even new is a great value.

I would put this preamp over a McIntosh C2200 or a 2300 which I've had both.

Sadly, I may soon be w/o preamp for awhile.  Gonna have to do the HT thing....with Bluetooth and all that jazz to run Pandora and simplify enough that my wife and kids can use it.

My McIntosh MC1201 monoblocks are boxed up and sitting in my basement and for the moment my four MC275's are idle.  I may try and use two of these with the Marantz HT.

hey family comes first you can always revisit the tube gear later in life hopefully I'm still here to service you. I plan to be! They will have to pry the soldering iron out of my cold dead hands! 

Trust me I know the family thing I pretty much ignored my entire business for the last 10 months taking care of 3 grand kids that ended up in a terrible situation with two stupid younger supposed adults that could not keep there heads screwed on straight. 

• Like 1

another thing folks should realize is right now I have one chassis left to build a NBS preamplifier and it will only be sold with a complete VRD/NBS combo.  Business is going to have to be good over the next few months for me to reorder a new stock of chassis. I have been working only part time for the last almost year until now. I had 3 grand kids 2, 3 and 9 move in with the wife and I had to take the time to get them straightened out. They are still here but now not behavior problems...so I'm back at it full bore. but it will take time to recover from the huge debt and loss of income I incurred getting through this mess. So I can not reorder anything of major expense right now and those chassis are expensive at 20 count... 

Edited by NOSValves
  • Like 1

If that thing had a tape monitor loop I would have bought it.  The designer forgot to include that feature.   :)

On purpose to keep guys like you from mucking up your sound.... ;)

This was a joke my friend for times past that we have discussed before.  I agree adding a device on a tape loop is not as pure as direct.  However, just a reminder that a tape loop opens your market to guys with horns like a 510 and 402 that require EQ.  You can run an EQ on the tape loop EQ your horns and still use passive networks with no modifications.  More market for you, and better sound for us guys.

I wish I had the cash for this preamp.  You know by a stroke of luck I got Bob's VRDs last week.  No toy money left at the moment.

If JC says it sounds better than the Macs............then it sounds better than what I have.

If that thing had a tape monitor loop I would have bought it.  The designer forgot to include that feature.   :)

On purpose to keep guys like you from mucking up your sound.... ;)

This was a joke my friend for times past that we have discussed before.  I agree adding a device on a tape loop is not as pure as direct.  However, just a reminder that a tape loop opens your market to guys with horns like a 510 and 402 that require EQ.  You can run an EQ on the tape loop EQ your horns and still use passive networks with no modifications.  More market for you, and better sound for us guys.

I wish I had the cash for this preamp.  You know by a stroke of luck I got Bob's VRDs last week.  No toy money left at the moment.

If JC says it sounds better than the Macs............then it sounds better than what I have.

Bob who? call me dude...

Edited by NOSValves