Vintage amp opinions....

scalawag

Hi, all.  For several years now I've been using a Yamaha CA-2010 int amp and a Carver C-4000 pre-amp to drive my upgraded 'Scalas and enjoying the sound immensely.  But just a day ago I've developed a problem in the left channel which I've isolated to the Yamaha.  There are a couple of audio equip repair shops with good reviews near my neighborhood that advertise 'vintage' repair services.  I expect that the charges for diagnosis and repair of the Yamaha will be significant.

So, my question: would you consider it wise for me to invest my money into repairing this older amp, or do you think it better to put my money into a brand new amp?  Thanks for any opinions.

post-27088-0-15860000-1456510299_thumb.j

Amp technology has come a long way. I would look to invest in a new one. Most new offerings will give you piece of mind with a warranty as well. Some affordable gear can be found from Emotiva and Outlaw Audio. Probably the best bang for the buck.

Tim

Love seeing those CA-2010s and CA-1010s.  Have three of each and I just love their sound.  In the last couple of weeks I received one 2010 and one 1010 back from a total restorations.  They sound magnificent and run a whole lot cooler even in Class A.  

My opinion is definitely that they are worth the expense.  Heck it will be trouble free for a couple decades! The build quality is superb and the CA series have a beautiful aesthetic.  Listening to this fresh 1010 right now.

post-45985-0-32380000-1456526566_thumb.j

I'm of the opinion of most on here as well, I'd look at it and potentially do a full restoration job on it if it's what you really like. When done, you'll get another 20-30 years out of it. Unless you need all the new gadgets of today,I'd say give it a look over.

I know I still kick myself in the rear for getting rid of one of my Yamaha receivers that was and above what I have now,even within the Yamaha line.