Turntable help and advice

It looks like you are missing the counterweight on the table. If so let me know I have an extra one.

I have a part in the box ( I have the original box and paperwork) what does the weight look like?

Allow me: linky

Thanks , looked in box and found it!

Cool, if I'm not of bounds you might want to take a look at this for basic info (not your brand/model) but good generic info

edit better yet, utube has some videos on Dual table tonearm set up

Edited by USNRET
  • Like 2

Got enough nerve to plug it in, it is squealing and platter turns slow. I can give the platter a little help and arm will move over and try to lower. It feels like it is not being released to allow it to fall down. Not going to fool with it as I know nothing about TT. Will let the pros take care of it.

If I may recommend a few cartridges for the table, the Stanton 681EEE with a Jico D6800EEE Shibata is a nice cartridge for that table as is an Ortofon VMS20E MKII. Then take the VMS and get the Jico upgraded VMS 30E MKII stylus. Both cartridges are MM (moving iron). I also use a Stanton 881S cartridge either stock with a D81S,D81, or D81E stylus and Jico D81 Shibata. Ortofon OM30 or OM40, Shure V-15 III with the VN35E stylus,if none are available on the stylus, the Ed Saunders VN35E stylus is good. ADC is also nice on the table.

Keep an update on the table.

don't forget the ADC VLM ll

• Like 1

If I may recommend a few cartridges for the table, the Stanton 681EEE with a Jico D6800EEE Shibata is a nice cartridge for that table as is an Ortofon VMS20E MKII. Then take the VMS and get the Jico upgraded VMS 30E MKII stylus. Both cartridges are MM (moving iron). I also use a Stanton 881S cartridge either stock with a D81S,D81, or D81E stylus and Jico D81 Shibata. Ortofon OM30 or OM40, Shure V-15 III with the VN35E stylus,if none are available on the stylus, the Ed Saunders VN35E stylus is good. ADC is also nice on the table.

Keep an update on the table.

don't forget the ADC VLM ll

I have the XLM MKII with the original stylus as well as the RZL Shibata stylus coming.

Do you have a cartridge on the table? If so which one? I would also get a few other things ahead of time while you get it serviced. A gram scale,either manual or digital, and a protractor to align the cartridge. The Dual head shells are pretty easy for the most part though.

I didn't know gram scales were still available. I thought they were all removed by the police force :) :) :)

Mark

• Like 1

I didn't know gram scales were still available.

A gram scale is very important IMO.  Shure has made an inexpensive balance beam scale for years, the SFG-2, about $25 I believe.  It's accuracy is somewhat limited, to within 0.1 to 0.2 grams, which isn't that bad.  A more accurate and more certain gauge is the Ortofon DS-1 battery-powered gauge, about $60 I believe.

I certainly think the gauge's accuracy should be within 0.1 to 0.2 gm.

Edited by LarryC

To the OP, have you had a chance to speak to Bill yet? Just curious. Also, which cartridge do you have on the table?

Not yet, I have watched a few of the video links posted here. Found a few others, and have SLOWLY been checking and cleaning everything. I only have one more problem to work out and it will be ready to use. Main problem was just hard grease. I think I can fix the last problem with a little more cleaning. The cart I have is factory I think? No numbers I could find, but has a weird symbol on the front of cart. Will try to get a pic up soon,but am very busy with work right now. Thanks to everyone for all the help. If I get it working good, going to build a nice wooden home for it?

Edited by totalcomfort

To the OP, have you had a chance to speak to Bill yet? Just curious. Also, which cartridge do you have on the table?

Not yet, I have watched a few of the video links posted here. Found a few others, and have SLOWLY been checking and cleaning everything. I only have one more problem to work out and it will be ready to use. Main problem was just hard grease. I think I can fix the last problem with a little more cleaning. The cart I have is factory I think? No numbers I could find, but has a weird symbol on the front of cart. Will try to get a pic up soon,but am very busy with work right now. Thanks to everyone for all the help. If I get it working good, going to build a nice wooden home for it?

I have an extra plinth for it if needed. Let me know.

• Like 1