looking for something different...

InVeNtOr

hey there my fellow K-Heads!

i have a pair (well 3.1) of RF7's and RC-7 HT set up.  i don't plan on changing the amp (Emotiva XPA-3) or the processor (UMC-1) anytime soon.  i also have a sub i really like (Bob Carver True Sig 12" - the one with the actual signature) and have no issues or wants in the down low dept.  And as many of you know, my set up is heavily modded.

i've always been interested in the 3-Way design, but recently found out that it's a good design but comes with it's issues and headaches.  what ever i do choose to jump to, i'll want to at a minimum update or upgrade the crossover, but would be interested to know if i can upgrade the drivers, woofers, or horn. 

i really like what i have, i am just curious what else is out there that has the potential to be "better".

someone suggested the KG5.5, and those look or seem like they would work really well.  i've always liked the Epics (never heard them) and how they look.  i don't want anything that has too large of a footprint.  i'm not interested in Herseys, or anything that size.  i do like front ports, because i don't have a HT room so they need to fit in my living room. 

has anyone modded or messed with either of those 2 speakers or has a better suggestion? i'm pretty sure if i do change, i'll change to a 2.1 and drop the center. that is unless there is some super secret awesome center for those older models.  i would love to have the RC64 (any version) but it won't look good on my custom made ET center and i'm not changing that either! lol! and to be clear, i like the LOOK of the RC64, i've never heard it.

the hardest part will be selling the current speakers.  i won't be able to do a thing if i still have them.  so once i decide, there is no going back.  what ever i end up with, if i'm not happy, then i'm stuck with them.  i doubt i'll find someone who wants some 7's so modded because i made them match each other, so they need to go as a set.  in fact, even the rears (which are boxed) are matched to the front 3.  that's why they are still in a box and not sold! i guess i kind of screwed myself! lol!

anyways, information and suggestions are greatly appreciated!

If your wanting to stick with Klipsch I can't really help you but if you wanted to venture away there are some really cool designs on diysoundgroup. The 893, 1099, 1299 would all be good candidates for a 2.1. The Maximus 12 or 12-LXE would be good candidates for 2.0 or 2.1. I was gonna build a set of the 12-LXE but took too long to pull the trigger.

Another option I thought, since you like crossovers would be to snag your a pair of 510 horns, grab you a nice b&c de-750 and then a 15" woofer of your choice and build your own. I have a ae-15h I thought would be perfect for something like that. Although it's a two way and not a three but I'm pretty sure a singe 15 pro style driver with 510 horn on it will spank an rf-7. I could be wrong though. Not sure how your modded ones sound. Anyways. Something to think about.

i really like what i have, i am just curious what else is out there that has the potential to be "better".

l. i've always liked the Epics (never heard them) and how they look. i don't want anything that has too large of a footprint.

. i do like front ports, because i don't have a HT room so they need to fit in my living room.

The larger Epics CF-3 and CF-4 have the reputation for being great speakers, but the footprint is huge and dominates the visual space in the front sound stage.  They are 2-way and front ported, but I'm afraid the large size will be a deal breaker for you.

+++

What kind of listening are you doing, ie music or movies?  If you are doing TV/movies I would not ditch the center speaker, but since you already have a center you certainly know how much it adds to the TV/Movie experience.

Have you considered a soundbar due to aesthetics and space consideration?

I have heard great things about Tekton Designs. Personally I would get a pair of 1812's if I could afford them. Super efficient and what looks to be an amazing design concept. Somewhat reminiscent of the old McIntosh, Infinity, etc line arrays. They also offer Pendragons and Lores that I have seen great reviews for.

http://www.tektondesign.com/

http://www.tektondesign.com/1812.html

Tim

PS....tongue in cheek about the 1812's of course.

Edited by teaman

i'm a movies only guy.  i don't listen to music on the system at all.  just I Heart Radio in the car...lol

i guess i never looked at the physical footprint of the epics.  they looked like standard towers.  i did contact Bob Crites and he has several upgraded for the KG5.5's, but not Epics.

for movies i know that center is very important, but for some reason when i switch to Stereo it sounds just as good. i know, it probably shouldn't be like that and i may have something out of wack.