Any Formula 1 Fans?

Ceptorman

Finally someone brought up dirt track racing.  Don't know if you can get any better racing then that been to dirt tracks all over the north and far west as Colorado.  Drove push trucks at Lernerville speedway in PA, been to Knoxville nationals, and now live like 45 minutes from Eldora but more of a fan of the short tracks then the bigger ones.

• Like 2

I agree about short track dirt racing, pretty awesome. Blooming Indiana is a hotspot for the Outlaw Sprints, they put on a great show there. 

Another great type of racing is flat track motorcycle racing, especially the AMA series. They came back to Indy for the past 6-7 years at the state fairgrounds. It's a 1 mile oval, they hit over 140 mph then pitch it sideways, and no brakes!

• Like 1

When you here drivers talk on the F1 cars, drivers from F1 and those from other areas of racing that have been allowed behind the wheel, they of course talk about the speed and acceleration but its the braking that's talked on most. While CF brake rotors are not new the methods used in F1 make their stopping power incredible. Both Jeff Gordon and Tony Stewart said the stopping power of these cars was beyond belief. I'm sorry, Gordon and Stewart would have said the "whoa me down" power.

Did anyone see the hour long special on the Haas racing team last night? Pretty cool and what a massive effort of manpower and $$$ to put a new team together.

• Like 1

When you here drivers talk on the F1 cars, drivers from F1 and those from other areas of racing that have been allowed behind the wheel, they of course talk about the speed and acceleration but its the braking that's talked on most. While CF brake rotors are not new the methods used in F1 make their stopping power incredible. Both Jeff Gordon and Tony Stewart said the stopping power of these cars was beyond belief. I'm sorry, Gordon and Stewart would have said the "whoa me down" power.

Did anyone see the hour long special on the Haas racing team last night? Pretty cool and what a massive effort of manpower and $$$ to put a new team together.

Braking and cornering in F1 is definitely what puts them above all other motorsports... from high speeds they're capable of 5g's deceleration during braking (slowing by 100mph in less than 100 feet) and can sustain over 4g's during cornering.  And by 100 mph they generate enough downforce to be driven upside down.  Current F1 cars are capable of 0 to 100mph to 0 in less than 5 seconds.

I've got the Haas special on the DVR... haven't watched it yet.

Edited by GPBusa

Braking and cornering in F1 is definitely what puts them above all other motorsports... from high speeds they're capable of 5g's deceleration during braking (slowing by 100mph in less than 100 feet) and can sustain over 4g's during cornering.  And by 100 mph they generate enough downforce to be driven upside down.  Current F1 cars are capable of 0 to 100mph to 0 in less than 5 seconds.

They are amazing machines.

To give a perspective how fast an F1 car can turn. A MotoGP bike (4 million dollars) will accelerate from 0-100 in 4 seconds, they go from 100-160 in 4 seconds. Top speed around 228. They race on quite a few of the same tracks an F1 car races on. The F1 car will turn a lap 22 seconds quicker.

F1 vs. Moto GP, the cars obviously have a tremendous advantage in traction and grip, HP/weight ratio, and power technology in general. But I love em both.

On the other hand I'd have to think the Moto boys have a much larger set of ballls than even the F1 guys. To race at over 200 mph on two wheels, inches apart, elbows scrapping the asphalt, Lordy. Big, big ballls I say.

• Like 2

F1 vs. Moto GP, the cars obviously have a tremendous advantage in traction and grip, HP/weight ratio, and power technology in general. But I love em both.

On the other hand I'd have to think the Moto boys have a much larger set of ballls than even the F1 guys. To race at over 200 mph on two wheels, inches apart, elbows scrapping the asphalt, Lordy. Big, big ballls I say.

I couldn't have said it any better.

It's amazing to watch the bike racers control that bike with their body, especially Dani Pedrosa, he's 5'2" and 112 lbs :D

The bikes are no slouch in technology. Give Honda and Yamaha a rulebook and no limit on funding, they created the ultimate race bike. 250hp at 325 lbs.

Braking and cornering in F1 is definitely what puts them above all other motorsports... from high speeds they're capable of 5g's deceleration during braking (slowing by 100mph in less than 100 feet) and can sustain over 4g's during cornering. And by 100 mph they generate enough downforce to be driven upside down. Current F1 cars are capable of 0 to 100mph to 0 in less than 5 seconds.

To give a perspective how fast an F1 car can turn. A MotoGP bike (4 million dollars) will accelerate from 0-100 in 4 seconds, they go from 100-160 in 4 seconds. Top speed around 228. They race on quite a few of the same tracks an F1 car races on. The F1 car will turn a lap 22 seconds quicker.

I've seen both MotoGP and Formula 1 at COTA in Austin... the current lap records are 1:39.347 for F1 and 2:02.135 for MotoGP.

Funny thing is the MotoGP bikes were about 5 mph faster down the long back straight. Both are a sight to see and hear. I haven't heard the new turbo V-6's in person, but like many others they sound horrible on TV.

Back to MotoGP... The original 990 cc MotoGP specs (first enacted in 2002) allowed the 2006 V-5 Honda to reportedly develop 285 rwhp (over 300 hp at the crank). Current bikes are down a bit since they're limited to 4 cylinders, but the electronics are much more advanced.

I enjoy watching F1 on TV. I've never seen a race live. I have seen many Indy car races live from the 500 to Detroit Grand Prix.

One of two streamed movies I own is Ron Howard's Rush about the battles between James Hunt and Nikki Lauda. I've enjoyed it several times. Full disclosure, the other owned movie is Planes, Trains and Automobiles.

Edited by DizRotus

Braking and cornering in F1 is definitely what puts them above all other motorsports... from high speeds they're capable of 5g's deceleration during braking (slowing by 100mph in less than 100 feet) and can sustain over 4g's during cornering. And by 100 mph they generate enough downforce to be driven upside down. Current F1 cars are capable of 0 to 100mph to 0 in less than 5 seconds.

I've seen both MotoGP and Formula 1 at COTA in Austin... the current lap records are 1:39.347 for F1 and 2:02.135 for MotoGP.

Funny thing is the MotoGP bikes were about 5 mph faster down the long back straight. Both are a sight to see and hear. I haven't heard the new turbo V-6's in person, but like many others they sound horrible on TV.

Back to MotoGP... The original 990 cc MotoGP specs (first enacted in 2002) allowed the 2006 V-5 Honda to reportedly develop 285 rwhp (over 300 hp at the crank). Current bikes are down a bit since they're limited to 4 cylinders, but the electronics are much more advanced.

23 seconds a lap faster at COTA? That's a lot of time. The Ducati at the Mugello track in Italy hit 231 mph back in 2006.

I've been to all the F1 and GP races and practices at Indy, I was amazed how loud the bike were, it's a real shame they aren't coming back. Even COTA's attendance numbers for the GP race has declined each year, they were less than Indy's numbers, but COTA has a 10 year contract.

I like the sound of the current F1 cars, maybe not as much as the high pitched shriek as before, but they still sound mean.

I enjoy watching F1 on TV. I've never seen a race live. I have seen many Indy car races live from the 500 to Detroit Grand Prix.

One of two streamed movies I own is Ron Howard's Rush about the battles between James Hunt and Nikki Lauda. I've enjoyed it several times. Full disclosure, the other owned movie is Planes, Trains and Automobiles.

Hey Neil, have you ever been to IndyCar race at the Michigan Int. Speedway? They haven't been there in a few years but hopefully they'll go back. Great track, ultra fast.

Rush is a great movie. If you're into GP bikes, check out a the movies Faster, Fastest, or The Doctor, The Tornado and the Kentucky Kid. They're more like documentaries but very good.

ever been to IndyCar race at the Michigan Int. Speedway?

Yes.  Several times.  I prefer Indy.  You have a better view of the track at all times at MIS, and the speeds are higher, but they don't seem to be going as fast as at Indy when they scream by your closer and narrower vantage point.

Once I was at MIS as a guest of Bobby Rahal in the pits.  It was the same year he won the Indy 500.