Any Formula 1 Fans?

Ceptorman

ever been to IndyCar race at the Michigan Int. Speedway?

Yes.  Several times.  I prefer Indy.  You have a better view of the track at all times at MIS, and the speeds are higher, but they don't seem to be going as fast as at Indy when they scream by your closer and narrower vantage point.

Once I was at MIS as a guest of Bobby Rahal in the pits.  It was the same year he won the Indy 500. 

That is awesome…..1986 I believe.

There's a lot going on around the Speedway right now. They're doing a 400 million dollar remodeling project, replacing most of the grandstand seats, new viewing sections, new catering facilities, new restrooms. Even the intersection at 16th and Georgetown has changed.

This will be the 100th race. Tickets prices are much higher. After the race, their will be a huge milk toast as they're giving out 100k pints of milk to the grandstand fans. Yes….I will be there :D

• Like 1

My younger brother used to live in Indy and later Carmel. He and several of his fellow Naval Academy '75 classmates go to the race each year.

A few years ago, the daughter of one suggested Memorial Day weekend as a wedding date. My brother's friend said that was fine, as long as she didn't mind him not being there. He had to remind her that the 500 was a tradition since before her birth. The wedding did not take place on Memorial Day weekend.

Edited by DizRotus
  • Like 1

Impressive beginning for Haas F1 - at least for Grojean. Imagine actually finishing, let alone in the points, in a first F1 effort. The #2 Guteriez? car was nothing but splinters after a damn horrific crash. Really amazing how well constructed these cars are. I'm sure Haas has more chassis/bodies in the pipeline. No doubt Ferrari can keep pumping them power plants.

The Haas #2 car was barely damaged when Alonso clipped his year wheel. Alonso's car was all wadded up.

Yes it was a terrific start for Haas, I hope they can keep that up.

I'm glad they're going back to the previous qualifying rules package, that stuff Saturday was silly.

The first time my brother and I saw Sprint cars on dirt live was at The Terre Haute Action Track in ~1980.  We were a couple of tyros sitting in the stands prior to the first heat.  It had rained recently and we wondered aloud if the race could proceed with the track in such a muddy condition.  About that time they brought out a truck to put more water on the surface.  Those sitting around us must have been chuckling about our ignorance.

As I recall, Gary Bettenhausen had the best car and won easily.   After watching 700hp short wheelbase cars sliding around on mud, watching single file pavement races has never been the same.

• Like 1

F1 vs. Moto GP, the cars obviously have a tremendous advantage in traction and grip, HP/weight ratio, and power technology in general. But I love em both.

On the other hand I'd have to think the Moto boys have a much larger set of ballls than even the F1 guys. To race at over 200 mph on two wheels, inches apart, elbows scrapping the asphalt, Lordy. Big, big ballls I say.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIymxwyDhiw

• 2 weeks later...

It's actually a great weekend for a race fan.

IndyCar was at Phoenix last night under the lights.

World Superbike is racing this weekend.

MotoGP is in Argentina today. Might be a wet race.

Formula 1 is live in Bahrain.

Nascar at Martinsville.

• Moderators

The Haas F1 team is doing excellent. Grosjean is currently running 4th in Bahrain. It's outstanding for a new team to be doing so well, GO AMERICA!

Very excited about this, he is doing some impressive driving and it looks like that Ferrari power is going to give the Brits a good run this year.

Would be nice to see HAAS morph this into some US development and involvement in F1

Redbull must be having fits right now.

Yes it was. Finished 5th with a bad pitstop. I don't think he could've finished any better though. 18 points in the first 2 races by a new team is terrific.

I'll bet Hamilton isn't feeling too good. I would like to see Rossberg win it all.

Love F1!!!.......I don't think anyone will beat AMG/Petronas..Their turbo/hybrid was way ahead of the curve when it came out a few years ago, so much so that the board members at Ferrari fired the President of the company, and EVERYBODY involved with the old Ferrari engine. Mercedes were and are ahead of the engineering curve with their engine and chassis designs...

I would LOVE better mic locations and a better sound mix with an emphasis on engine sounds rather than hearing the commentators for 3 hours straight. I love Hobbs, Matchet, Diffey and Buxton...miss Varsha....but just gimme more sound only onboards and pure trackside audio breaks....Pleeez....... :emotion-29:  :emotion-29:  :emotion-14:

I just returned from my annual trip to the 12hrs Of Sebring, its my 8th year going, missed 11', and 12'....I'm a huge endurance race fan of all types two and four wheel...The European two wheel endurance races are just punishment, but so beautiful and inspiring .The length those people go too to win is beyond most racing...but...But.. The IsleOfMann TT is "The Worlds Greatest Race" in my opinion...Nothing is more beautiful, and amazing to witness in the world of racing I believe...Its basically suicidal..Even the tandem bikes racing with the CoPilot hanging their heads and bodies over the side car...It's all NUTS!!!..Its' completely NUTS, and I friggin LOVE it.

And the best sounding cars at the Sebring12hr were those factory Porsches the 911 and the 912, In my opinion...Those things Screamed...I always like the sound of smaller engines pushed to their limits than bigger restricted engines suffocated by rules..Happy Motorsporting :emotion-21:  

Edited by Audio Android