Thinking of perhaps sometime in the future upgrading the mains to La Scala's but is it worth it?

AaronB123

• Moderators

In total, I have (11) 15" drivers in my HT.  I'd say it provides adequate bass.  :D   Yes, the video in my signature is my theater room.  What we are working on is just replacing the false wall that is up front with an actual cabinet with drawers and will accomodate a 150" AT Screen so I can place the LaScala Trio and Quad RSW-15's directly behind the screen.  The room dimensions will not change.

You will definitely enjoy the sounds of a BIG horn. While not the La Scala, I've got a pair of Altec 19s which have the 811 horn. You will be amazed at the presence a big horn can give. The Chorus are most definitely nice, but aren't really a fair comparison for the big horn models.

I actually see a lot of those Altec 19's on eBay, How are they, how do they compare to the La Scala?

Personally, I prefer the 19s, but it really comes down to what sound you like. I thoroughly enjoy them both. Both will have more power than you'll ever need in a home and both will create a tremendous soundstage.

I am in CT as well.

• Like 1

You will definitely enjoy the sounds of a BIG horn. While not the La Scala, I've got a pair of Altec 19s which have the 811 horn. You will be amazed at the presence a big horn can give. The Chorus are most definitely nice, but aren't really a fair comparison for the big horn models.

I actually see a lot of those Altec 19's on eBay, How are they, how do they compare to the La Scala?

Personally, I prefer the 19s, but it really comes down to what sound you like. I thoroughly enjoy them both. Both will have more power than you'll ever need in a home and both will create a tremendous soundstage.

I am in CT as well.

Ya, those are very beautiful speakers! They definitely caught my eye the first time I saw them. Only thing I like about the La Scala's though is that the woofer is horn loaded. I really want to try that out. Another thing I noticed is it looks like those model 19's are 2 way. Is that correct?  

Ya, I noticed your from CT as well. It's nice to see someone in my area on the forum! 

Dang it Roger!  Looks like we've got another one sucked into the abyss of Heritage Speakers.  LOL

Aaron, I never ever saw myself selling my RF-83's.  They were my first NEW speaker (even though I bartered for them in exchange for developing a website for a local installer).  I always told myself if I could find a pair of LaScalas for $500 or less, I would buy them just so I could say I had experienced them in my own home, with my own gear and with my own ears.  I LOVED the sound of the RF-83's and I have owned a ton of Klipsch over the years, including Forte II and Chorus II.  Although the Chorus II sounded nice, they didn't have the same slam that the RF-83's did so I kept the 83's.  But the day I purchased the LaScalas, something changed.  The LaScalas had ridiculous clarity and detail and vocals were MUCH better than the 83's.  The sound was full, and rich.  I wanted to give myself a week or two be certain that the LS were the right choice, especially because I have never liked the dated look of the LaScalas. 

A few weeks later, I purchased a third LaScala from wstrickland.  He had a meeting later that month about 45 min from me and offered to deliver the single LaScala to me.

Needless to say, as soon as I hooked up the center LaScala, strangely the RC-64 suddenly sounded small.  It was at that moment that I realized how good LaScalas were and having three identical LaScalas were absolutely phenomenal!  The ONLY thing I was disappointed in was they don't "slam" like the RF-83's, RF-7's, RF-7ii's, CF-4's and KLF-30's that I've owned. 

This is the last time I saw the RF-83's & RC-64

Klipsch-LaScala-vs-RF-83-2.jpg

I did MANY A/B comparisons because I did not want to sell my babies and end up regretting it.  The RF-83's are fantastic speakers.....but I have NEVER regretted my decision to keep the LaScalas.  Not only did I keep the LaScalas, but I'm now in the final stages of rebuilding the front wall.

Ask Roger, I was probably the least likely person to ever want to keep a pair of LaScalas due to their vintage look alone.  I've said this before but I can't imagine ever wanting to sell them...until something that sounds better comes along at a great price.  ;)

It's funny I actually LOVE the dated look of the La Scala's and the Chorus's I think they look pure badass! Don't get me wrong the Reference line looks incredible too with the copper cones! I know what your saying but I plan to have a full heritage theater when it's all said and done so if I am to get rid of anything, it's going to be my JBL S310's and replace those with the Chorus's  and then possibly down the road if I could find another La Scala for the center I would get rid of the RP-450 which I know wouldn't be able to keep up with the La Scala's I mean it's gotten MUCH better since breaking in but there is a difference between it and the Chorus's. Chorus's sound just a bit deeper and richer so I know it wouldn't stand a chance against the La Scala's. 

No such thing as overkill... Buy a pair, then another pair, then another. You'll have enough for a 5.1 surround system. Three across the front and two as surrounds is the way to go. My room is 20'x14'...

That's an absolute wonderful idea! Having the tv on top of the speaker! I had been wondering, if I did use a La Scala as a center how would I work that out! I shall wonder no more!! That speaker isn't that high either so it actually works out perfect! 

That's the end goal

Tis what they all say....then you'll hear a bigger Klipsch that will make your LaScala sound like a toy...

Round & round....it never ends.  You may as well just have yourself committed now rather than wait any longer.

:huh:

• Like 1

No such thing as overkill... Buy a pair, then another pair, then another. You'll have enough for a 5.1 surround system. Three across the front and two as surrounds is the way to go. My room is 20'x14'...

That's an absolute wonderful idea! Having the tv on top of the speaker! I had been wondering, if I did use a La Scala as a center how would I work that out! I shall wonder no more!! That speaker isn't that high either so it actually works out perfect!

LaScalas are Birch plywood... My guess is it would easily hold well over 100 lbs. And if I remember correctly, there's an old ad for the LaScala where someone is sitting on top of it. So an LCD TV won't cause any problems.

At 35.5" tall it puts the midrange and tweeter just below ear level when I'm sitting on my couch. And for me that puts my TV at a perfect height.

• Like 1

That's the end goal

Tis what they all say....then you'll hear a bigger Klipsch that will make your LaScala sound like a toy...

Round & round....it never ends.  You may as well just have yourself committed now rather than wait any longer.

:huh:

True, I thought I was done when I first got the  Chorus's! 

Ya, those are very beautiful speakers! They definitely caught my eye the first time I saw them. Only thing I like about the La Scala's though is that the woofer is horn loaded. I really want to try that out. Another thing I noticed is it looks like those model 19's are 2 way. Is that correct?

Ya, I noticed your from CT as well. It's nice to see someone in my area on the forum!

Yep, the 19s are two way. Probably the best two way I have ever heard. PWK always wanted the klipschorn to be a 2 way, which is why he made the jubilee. (I've never heard the jubilee so no one start stoning me please) Edited by Grizzog

Belles also make good TV stands.  Since they're not as deep as La Scalas, they go well between a pair of them.  The reasoning is that it's best to have no objects in the line between the left and right main speakers. 

The mains should be able to "see" each other.

Edited by Islander
  • Like 1

Belles also make good TV stands.  Since they're not as deep as La Scalas, they go well between a pair of them.  The reasoning is that it's best to have no objects in the line between the left and right main speakers. 

The mains should be able to "see" each other.

I did not know that, thank you for that information! It definitely makes sense though. What about "toe in" do you think that's important, or more a matter of preference? 

I have my lascala's toed in so that the line of convergence is a couple of feet behind me for music. I move my recliner to the sweet spot when listening to music and i definetely notice a difference with things positioned this way. Great imaging and Soundstage. If you were in my seat you would swear sound Is Coming from the center speaker but it's not even being used. Also instruments seem to be coming from all across the front between the speakers.

• Like 1

I have my lascala's toed in so that the line of convergence is a couple of feet behind me for music. I move my recliner to the sweet spot when listening to music and i definetely notice a difference with things positioned this way. Great imaging and Soundstage. If you were in my seat you would swear sound Is Coming from the center speaker but it's not even being used. Also instruments seem to be coming from all across the front between the speakers.

Yup same here, there have been times where I have to double check to make sure my center isn't on when listening to music because the vocals sound like they are dead in front of me! 

Yes, toe-in is really important, since it reduces early reflections from the side walls and having the speakers facing you directly means you will be hearing them as the designer intended.

As for how much toe-in, it depends on how wide you need the sweet spot to be.  If the speakers are aimed directly at the listener, you may find that the sweet spot is very narrow, and the left-right balance shifts with the slightest movement of your head.  In that case, a bit less toe-in works better.

With my setup, the speakers are about 12 feet apart, and I sit about 12 feet from them.  The inboard side of each speaker lines up with where I'm sitting, meaning that, like nitrofan's setup, the speakers are aimed directly at a point a little behind me.

The simplest way to aim speakers is with a laser level or a laser pointer.  It's much faster and easier than running back and forth with a protractor and a measuring tape.  Just place the laser on the top or side of the speaker and aim the speaker where you like, and then do the other one.  The laser makes it easy to get both speakers aimed at the exact same spot.

• Like 1