Repalcing the Center Channel for a Klipsch Icon W series 5.1 setup

peplogic

Hello All.

I was hoping to get some suggestions from the group on the best path forward. I am moving and my new location will have a fire place under the tv, so i don’t have a place fot the cabinet ( which was where i put my center)

My current Pre Move Set up is:

Klipsch WF-34 Icon-W Series Floorstanding Loudspeaker for my Left and Right Channels

Klipsch WC-24 Icon-W Series  Center

Klipsch XW-300D Sub

Qty 2 P.O.S Surrounds (That definitely will be replaced :-)  )

Onkyo 5.1 Receiver

I wanted to keep the setup with the exception of the center, because i don’t want to dig in the wall (unless necessary). I have been digging around the Klipsch site for a passive Soundbar that i could substitute and the closest i got was the G-24.

It looks like it will do the job, but i have a few questions.  The first question is that the Klipsch G-42 is listed as a L/C/R Soundbar......can the G-42 Soundbar just be used as a Center channel only in a 5.1 set up. If the answer is yes....will using it as a center only power all the tweeters in the speakers? (The manual says that each L/C/R speaker has its own connections, so i am trying to figure out how this would work to wire)

Second question...am i missing any options.....That Klipsch can provide with out digging out my wall?

Any help is appreciated 

Thanks

XW-300D SUBWO

I am going to tell you and warn you right now, you will be fairly disappointed with the results. The Icon W, Y, and X series speakers are on par with the legit Reference II and Premier gear (some even argue it's better than). You will be compromising your setup due to the fact that the center is the most important speaker in that set up. I'd encourage you to figure out a way to make your current center work.

Thank you for the feedback.  I admit...I am worried about sacrificing the sound quality moving to a soundbar.......Are there any other Klipsch Centers that i should consider?  If i am going to dig into the wall......i might as well  ask...right?  Lol

I was thinking perhaps a wider center for a wider field of sound.....?

I am not sure how well the WC would work with any of the RP gear or the original RII gear. Someone else who owns that stuff may be better to chime in. The flower horn is what really nails it for those Icons. The RP line is probably more on par than the older reference gear is. I'm unsure if the older centers with the wider horn fixture may serve you better (i.e. the KV-4 or the KLF-C7). Considering your WF-34's your best bet is probably either going to be the RP-440C or the WC-24 you have now.

Can you put a shelf or some kind of concrete mantel over the fireplace opening for the center?

Do you have pics?  Maybe there is an alternative placement some extra set of eyes here might spot for you.

Can you put a shelf or some kind of concrete mantel over the fireplace opening for the center?

Do you have pics?  Maybe there is an alternative placement some extra set of eyes here might spot for you.

I can put it on the mantle.  Its deeper than the mantle, but maybe there is some work i can do to "Help it Fit"....I was looking at RP-450........It looks like what i am aiming for, but the spec sheet said it had rear firing bass ports?

Does that mean i cant put it in a wall?

Do you think the RP 450 would be a good fit to replace my Icon Center?

I can put it on the mantle.  Its deeper than the mantle, but maybe there is some work i can do to "Help it Fit"....I was looking at RP-450........It looks like what i am aiming for, but the spec sheet said it had rear firing bass ports?

Rear firing would mean that it would be best to have some space between the ports and the wall, yes.

If you were really sold on the RP line though and just had to buy something, I think the 440 might do better though, simply because of the 4 inch drivers in your configuration already.

Rear firing would mean that it would be best to have some space between the ports and the wall, yes.

If you were really sold on the RP line though and just had to buy something, I think the 440 might do better though, simply because of the 4 inch drivers in your configuration already.

Thank you for the feedback.  Its funny...the W Icon seriis 4,5 inches..........theRP-400 is 4 inches.....and the RP-405 is 5.25.

Almost right in the middle....1 question.....i know there is no substitue for listening, but woud the larger speakers (RP-450)be more mid and bass heavy?  Would they over power the Left and right?

I don't think that'd be an issue. The only reason I suggest the 440C is because of a close match to the size of the driver, therefore you can get better image panning across the front. Your WC-24 was designed with that very issue in mind. The 440 may not sound quite the same, it may sound better on its own, but whether or not it'd be decently timbre matched is another story.

I'm not saying that it won't. I'm just saying that short of listening, it's hard to say.

If you are planning on eventually upgrading anyway, the 450 is a slam dunk.

If you say the wc-24 will hang off the mantle wait till you get a rp 440 or 450. They are huge. The icon w line are sweet speakers. I loved my set. If I ever find another 5.0 set I will be snagging them for my bedroom for sure. If stick with what you have unless you are upgrading all 5 speakers.

• Like 1

I would set up left and right speakers first with no center. Recalibrate with no center so receiver know to send center channel to both speakers.

You may be surprised at how well they will do with a phantom center channel.  

A phantom center channel is a lot better than a compromised center channel.

You could try the XL-23 from the Icon X line that I use below. Same horn, Ti tweeter, and midrange. Much shallower and sounds like it would work well for your situation. 

The trick is finding one. Just did a nationwide search with 1 result. 

https://kansascity.craigslist.org/ele/5474576593.html

post-51058-0-15240000-1451911766_thumb.j
Edited by johnnydrama

You could try the XL-23 from the Icon X line that I use below. Same horn, Ti tweeter, and midrange. Much shallower and sounds like it would work well for your situation.

The trick is finding one. Just did a nationwide search with 1 result.

https://kansascity.craigslist.org/ele/5474576593.html

my neck of the woods
  • Like 1