Best 15" Subwoofer

Fracchia23

Ok guys I'm up for hosting a sub shootout,  Jason brings some horns, Jay the Klipsch, l have some DIY an we can see who else might be interested.  This is the only real way to settle things. :)   Just like the Old Wild Wild West, he, he.

You'll crap when Tom Danley shows up with a Semi pulling the Matterhorn.

Edited by mustang guy
  • Like 1

I use Velodyne subs and have loved them. They are servo-controlled units. So, they are very clean. I have two F-1500's in one room and an HGS-18II in another. The F series subs only have 300 watts, but do sound really good. You can pick them up for aroudn $300-$400 used. They are nearly 20+ years old. The HGS has 1000 watts and it slams! It's also an 18" sub and can be found for around $1k. What's your budget? There are a lot of subs to choose from.

I'm not doubting a horn sub will sound good, or doubt that it gets loud. My point is, unless it is the size of 2 couches, it wont have large amounts of output below 30Hz, it just isn't possible. At that point it is just a sealed box.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I'm not doubting a horn sub will sound good, or doubt that it gets loud. My point is, unless it is the size of 2 couches, it wont have large amounts of output below 30Hz, it just isn't possible. At that point it is just a sealed box.

Tucked into a corner a midsize THT is flat to 20 Hz, fullsize versions well below that.

Even my smaller horn easily reaches into the to upper 20's and it is the smallest cabinet version for the 10" driver and still stomps any single 15-18" sub in SPL i ever heard.

Don't need tons of power either.

The corner is the last place I personally would put a subwoofer. If anyone wants to bring such a subwoofer to Indy, I'll measure it.

Put the Klipschorn in the middle of the room and see what happens.

Bass horns make good use of a boundary.

A corner is the first place you want to try.

Search the forum, many here have built an assortment of horns that have already been tested.

Tucked into a corner a midsize THT is flat to 20 Hz, fullsize versions well below that.

Even my smaller horn easily reaches into the to upper 20's and it is the smallest cabinet version for the 10" driver and still stomps any single 15-18" sub in SPL i ever heard.

something like this! What model and how much would one of these run? This is something I may be interested in trying just to see if your right about how loud they can get compared to a 15-18 sub? Guessing your talking sealed 15-18?

something like this! What model and how much would one of these run? This is something I may be interested in trying just to see if your right about how loud they can get compared to a 15-18 sub? Guessing your talking sealed 15-18?

Sent you a PM and never heard back.

Ever compared a Cornwall to Klipschorn ?

Same driver, very different results.

Not saying its exactly the same thing but to give you an idea of the difference.

With all these sub comparison, you need to compare similar box sizes.   We all know that box size plays a major part. ;)  My SI HT 18 in a 4^ ft box is tame compare to it in a 20 ^ft box.  Let's try to compare apples to apples. :)

Edited by derrickdj1

With all these sub comparison, you need to compare similar box sizes.   We all know that box size plays a major part. ;)

You cannot expect a small subwoofer to play right along with a pair of La Scala's, not going to happen.

Comparing box sizes is useless unless you can take in the whole picture.

Comparing box sizes is useless unless you can take in the whole picture.

Box size is a very significant part of the picture.  Most ID or commercial subs are in relatively small boxes due to consumer demand.  You will see a lot of the DIY crowd go for larger boxes.  It will decrease power, increase sensitivity, increase extension, ect.  No one can say that this is not very, very, significant.

Edited by derrickdj1

Isn't a 36" THT considered full size? Look at the second page of your link, Bill's graphs show it being like 13 db down at 20 hz, while loaded in a corner. I've never seen anything that shows these are flat to 20 and below, even when corner loaded.

You should splurge on a $75 microphone sometime. Would clear up lots of stuff.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

Isn't a 36" THT considered full size? Look at the second page of your link, Bill's graphs show it being like 13 db down at 20 hz, while loaded in a corner. I've never seen anything that shows these are flat to 20 and below, even when corner loaded.

You should splurge on a $75 microphone sometime. Would clear up lots of stuff.

Read the link in post # 72

In case anybody missed the chart in the very first post of the link of an example of in room response ( 19' x 23' x 9' )  for a 24" THT.

There's no way it stays linear like that when you crank up the volume. This graph shows it being louder at 2.5 hz than at 60 hz or anywhere near 30 hz. Just not reality. Down that low you're basically just dealing with a single sealed and fairly cheap 15.

In case anybody missed the chart in the very first post of the link of an example of in room response ( 19' x 23' x 9' )  for a 24" THT.

There's no way it stays linear like that when you crank up the volume. This graph shows it being louder at 2.5 hz than at 60 hz or anywhere near 30 hz. Just not reality. Down that low you're basically just dealing with a single sealed and fairly cheap 15.

Room or cabin gain, google or yahoo is your friend.