K-horn question

JCturboT

Guys,

Talkig to someone about a pair of 1967 Klipschorns.He is the original owner and says he hasn't done a thing to them over the years.What I am qurious about is what they should have for drivers?would these have the alnico magnets? I'd assume these to have the AA crossovers-am I correct?

I am also curious about is the wood-they are mahagony and I want to know if this is real wood or a veneered finish?

Anything anyone could tell me about this vintage speaker would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Jeff

This message has been edited by JCturboT on 08-31-2002 at 08:56 AM

Jeff,

Don't know about the drivers. But I believe all klipsch new and old are veneered and not solid oak , Mahogony and what have you.

Craig

PS just waiting for your can caps to get here to start slinging solder on your amp.

------------------

Nos.gif

HH Scott 299 Amp

HH Scott LT-110B Tuner

HH Scott P-87 Turn Table

JVC JL-F50 Turn Table

Sony CDP-CA7ES CD Drive

1985 Walnut Heresey I W/Layne Audio Woofers

KSW-15 Subs>c>

If there are anything near a good price, I would jump on them! I do believe most of the drivers at that time were Alnico (although some here dont find Alnico any more compelling performance-wise besides looks and collectability ala Tom B. - I am not sure I agree).

kh

------------------

Phono Linn Sondek LP-12 Valhalla / Linn Basic Plus / Sumiko Blue Point

CD Player Rega Planet

Preamp Cary Audio SLP-70 w/Phono Modified

Amplifier Welborne Labs 2A3 Moondog Monoblocks

Cable DIYCable Superlative / Twisted Cross Connect

Speaker 1977 Klipsch Cornwall I w/Alnico & Type B Crossover

Links system one online / alternate components / Asylum Listing f>s>

mobile,

I would love to own a set of Klipschorns-would really be my last pair of speakers, but with both of my amplifiers down and 4 pairs of speakers already I would definately have to let the Cornwalls go which I really don't want to do.

I'll let you guys know about these when I find out more.

Jeff

JCTurboT,

Go for the Khorns if you can swing it (IMHO)!

What year/finish are your Cornwalls?

------------------

2 Channel System:

'78 Khorns w/ALK networks

Welborne Labs 2A3 Moondog Monoblocks

*coming soon* Supratek Syrah preamp

McIntosh MCD 7007 CDP

Sony S9000ES SACD

McIntosh MR-78 Tuner

DIYCable Twisted Cross Connect Speaker Cable

Silver Audio Hyacinth interconnects (preamp->amp)

DIYCable Superlatives (CDP/SACD/->preamp)

DH Labs Silver Pulse interconnects (Tuner->preamp)

f>

s>

edster,

1984 Cornwalls,oiled Oak finish with brown grills and riser.These are the Cornwall Is with the removable back but with the IIs K57 mid.Bought off the original owner almost 2 years ago.I have the sales receipt and factory shipping boxes as well-the original owner was smart and kept them for his moves over the years.

Jeff

Jeff, offer stands to come on by and listen to some Khorns ... I have the AA's but swapped them out for a pair of ALK's ... Have an Eico which probably sounds much like the Scott you have.

What are the Khorns' model (e.g., KC-BR)? That will tell you what the wood is ...

Drop me a note if you want to talk about it.

Chris

Guys,

Unfortunately the owner wants too much $$ for these K-horns-I think he's using e-bay as his guide.They are in pretty good shape-a couple nicks here and there as well as pet hair all over them but overall an unmolested pair of 1967 mahagony Klipschorns.

Oh well...next time.

Chris-I'm off on vacation all this week so you pick the day or night and I would LOVE to compare them with your Cornwalls and see how they sound.Plus it will give me a chance to check out your nice resto job as well as hear all this rage over the Eico.

Let me know.

Jeff

This message has been edited by JCturboT on 09-07-2002 at 09:34 PM

Chris,

Yes,I got the e-mail.I called you at work and left a message on your voice mail.It looks like Tuesday-Thursday is good for me if its good for you.I would come up Monday night but as you know the Pats are playing and I have a Monday night Football game party to attend-We'll see if last season was just a fluke or not (Doubt it!)

Anyway I'll call you again tomorrow to get directions.

Jeff

I have another question for you guys...does anyone know the year Klipsch switced over from plywood to MDF on the K-horn? I had asked this prior and I got a couple different replies so I'll try again.

Jeff

PS:Anyone watching Monday night football?? The Patriots are SPANKIN' the Steelers.Kordell Stewart been on the grass more than the greenskeepers!

K-horns are still 1/2" plywood. They have not went to MDF.

The Belle and La Scala are still 1/2" plywood too.

Chorus, Forte, Quartets plus all of the other lines are MDF with veneer.

------------------

Jim McClung

This message has been edited by The Hobbit on 09-10-2002 at 10:52 AM