any mechanics here?

Paducah Home Theater

That means your lock up filter/valve may need replacing. It should be a smooth back and forth transition which is very noticeable at 42/43 MPH.

JJK

It could even be a faulty electrical connection to the transmission. Even the tiniest added resistance can cause the transmission to act differently.

That means your lock up filter/valve may need replacing. It should be a smooth back and forth transition which is very noticeable at 42/43 MPH.

JJK

I think what's happening is that the engine is experiencing it's highest torque load at that speed.  Ignition problems will generally rear their ugly head then.

It could also be something about that RPM causing the buck when in lock up like a bad coil pack. Drive the truck in 2nd gear and go that exact RPM.

Edited by mustang guy

It could also be something about that RPM causing the buck when in lock up like a bad coil pack. Drive the truck in 2nd gear and go that exact RPM.

It doesn't do it if I downshift. Only happens if I'm barely accelerating in a high gear at like 42 mph. If I gun it and it downshifts, there's no issue.

It doesn't do it if I downshift. Only happens if I'm barely accelerating in a high gear at like 42 mph. If I gun it and it downshifts, there's no issue.

What are your RPM's when you are going 42 MPH?

Even with a healthy engine the torque is very low at that RPM. The bucking is likely a combination of a locked up torque converter and very low HP. When you lug an engine it will sound like a diesel. This is what Carl is talking about I think.

Even with a healthy engine the torque is very low at that RPM

It's like shifting into 6'th gear with a standard at a low speed.  When the motor lugs, ignition is under a load.  I've always checked for ignition problems this way.  It seems they'll show up quicker there than at normal rpms and a normal load. 

Have you tried power braking it at a standstill to see if you can simulate the issue?

Edited by CECAA850

Have you tried power braking it at a standstill to see if you can simulate the issue?

It doesn't really do it much at all in this situation. Friday it started missing real bad upon doing this but I am convinced it was the gas, as it was missing all the time in other situations, but is now back to normal. Doing so is when the real bad rotten egg smell was noticeable which is why they were doing the catalytic converter test, they think it was getting excessively hot and is clogged up.

Which, makes no sense at all to me. If it was a predetonation issue where it did this under a load, why doesn't powerbraking reproduce it? If it was the catalytic converter, why wouldn't powerbraking reproduce it? The engine nor converter doesn't know that it's not actually rolling down the road.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

Just heard from the muffler shop, the catalytic converter pressure test checked out, there is nothing wrong with the converters. They're a mechanic shop too, had two guys looking at it this afternoon, both basically said they have no idea what it is. Hopefully the Ford dealership can tell me something. If not, I don't know whether to sell it with a disclaimer, or just drive it until something major blows up which may be never, or just keep it but get a car and use this as a farm truck.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

And make sure to tell them the tranny TC might be locking up at 1500 RPM. I have basic experience with programming transmissions via software (an older TCI TCU and TCom software) is that you can set a minimum speed at which lockup occurs. You also set percentage of lockup (duty cycle) based on the where the throttle is (TPS). It doesn't seem like 42 MPH is high enough.