any mechanics here?

Paducah Home Theater

I have isolated, amplified and repeated eleven times, a two second section which I believe has the sound you are hearing.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_-5nvuxy-j7T21xSHhhUVBtV28

Sounds like valve clatter...

One of three things about that recording 1) very very low RPM 2) recording slowed way down 3) I don't remember what valve clatter sounds like and I have heard it a LOT but recall the frequency or would it be tempo to be much greater

I used Windows Voice Recorder on my laptop with my calibrated UMIK microphone and finally captured it.  Let me know what you think.  It is very loud and piercing, sounds like something is about to blow up.  

http://www.metropolislakeoutfitters.com/rattle.m4a

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

It sounds metallic like a loose heat shield or ceramic in a cat. I bet if any of us sat in the truck when it was making that noise we would know exactly what it is.

I wonder if it is a squeak on the heat shield where the hole is elongated. It would also rattle. You wouldn't know it was loose unless the conditions were right.

Edited by mustang guy

Don't "sense" it. I would have to drive and lug the engine at mid rpm under a load. I would shift up too early to cause the issue then steadily increase pressure on the throttle maintaining the load until a point that rpm / torque matches and overcomes the load. I'm out; from what I hear it's not pinging, piston knock, valve rattle. Go sleep in a Holiday Inn Express and try again.

These are my thoughts and not intended for troubleshooting purposes.

On the other issue: that is a lot o'bucks to spend in an attempt. Being a die hard GM guy, I have to agree with a previous post, buy a Chevy :rolleyes:

Converging / diverging ducts

One of the basic jet engine theories which applies to the gas flow thru the cat. Varying any one changes the other; more throttle equals more pressure and volume. If you have a 'loose' internal cat part, this MAY explain it as it could set up exhaust gas flutter within the cat thereby causing internal 'rattling' that is not influenced by external excitation (hammer).
In a jet engine, at its worse, it causes the gas pressure at the diffuser entry to be greater than compressor exit pressure and creates back pressure which leads to compressor stall (fire out the intake)

Yea, this is not a jet engine but the gas (exhaust) flow principles are the same even with a balloon; I am talking about the disturbance of gas flow creating vibration to loose parts.

So IF you have a blockage (tested good) or a loose internal part in the cat than increasing flow and pressure at the cat entry could lead to flow disturbance thru the cat (vibration = noise) until the velocity of the gases exiting the cat equals the entry velocity and the flow smooths out.

Now I'm talking some BS!

edit: and I lied I wasn't out...then

Edited by USNRET

Have you crawled under your trucked and inspected it? Heat shield, exhaust system mounts?

Three guys at the muffler shop did, twice.  Only thing they found was that there is a floppy heat shield on a converter but it does not make the high pitched metallic sound.  They whacked on the converters and muffler and didn't find anything obvious.  

They figured it out already, within 30 seconds of test driving it. When it is put into 4wd high, the issue goes away. Not sure why this was never thought of before, either by me or the three other shops. I guess I thought that since the front axle wasn't under power then it didn't matter. Anyway, they think it's the vacuum line actuator on the passenger side like somewhere around the hub, one of the parts that pertains to it. Said they had the exact same problem two weeks ago and it took them three hours to diagnose it and this sounded the exact same way. Waiting on them to figure out exactly what part it is and give me a price.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters
  • Like 2