any mechanics here?

Paducah Home Theater

I've had lots of customers describe pre-ignition as a rattle.  Either the knock sensors aren't working or the problem is so bad that the engine controller can't retard timing enough to make it go away, which would indicate something else entirely.

Ive seen plugged converters but usually you would have poor power " Usually"

Also Ford does not monitor there knock sensors same as GM so it wont set a code

It also might be out of the PCM'S ability to correct

Edited by A1UC

I've had lots of customers describe pre-ignition as a rattle.  Either the knock sensors aren't working or the problem is so bad that the engine controller can't retard timing enough to make it go away, which would indicate something else entirely.

Should throw a code either way.

Easy fix, hook up a scanner and see what the knock sensor and engine timing is doing when the noise starts.

Some auto parts stores will do this for free to sell you parts.

Pinging from the engine will sound very different than a rattle.

Agreed however,  lifter 'rattle' caused by pre-ignition is what my brain heard when reading the OP.

Is that what would rattle, the lifters? I've been trying to figure out why in the hell a piston would rattle.

Pre-ignition doesn't always throw a code, only if it's bad enough to create a misfire or if a knock sensor goes totally out.

Check your spark plug gap.

Have your fuel pressure checked.

Check EGR passageways especially the port behind the throttle body.

Clean your MAF sensor.

If it helps at all, when this first started, it would only do it in certain instances, such as low RPM's on the interstate then would rattle if I went up a hill or passed a car by pressing on the gas enough to accelerate a little but not enough to downshift out of overdrive. If I pressed the overdrive override button, it would not rattle. It's worse now though, that's not the case.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

Should throw a code either way.

Easy fix, hook up a scanner and see what the knock sensor and engine timing is doing when the noise starts.

Some auto parts stores will do this for free to sell you parts.

Fords wont throw a code for that , and a generic scan tool isn't going to tell him much , I had to use a ford scan tool IDS to monitor mine live while driving .

Anyway good luck hope you fine the problem

Our local auto parts store has a Tech II, not sure about generic scanners. Never used one.

If Fords will not throw a code it will still be easy to figure out using the right tool.

Have it looked at so you don't waste your time looking in the wrong direction.

Our local auto parts store has a Tech II, not sure about generic scanners. Never used one.

Isn't tech 2 GM?

Yes but OBD II is General Motors design picked up by most manufactures if i recall to create a one fits all.

Should work on Fords but may need a flash or module to operate on them, not 100 % sure though.

Everybody keeps mentioning a knock or knock sensor or ping, this is just way beyond being able to hear a series of individual sounds. Imagine a dump truck dumping rocks onto a sheet of tin roofing, or lots of rocks in a tin can being shaken violently in every direction.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters