emotiva vs benchmark

BBZink

Good Day,

i have a emotiva DAC 2, and i am thinking to upgrade to benchmark dac/preamp, should i'll hear improvement for the stage and sound, or it is just snake oil?

regards

should i'll hear improvement for the stage and sound, or it is just snake oil?

I'm not sure what you're suggesting is snake oil.  Emo is a solid budget brand, and Benchmark is a solid brand that charges a bit more.  The Benchmark probably touts superior specs, but both of those pre-amps should be audibly transparent, and neither should alter the sound stage.  Whichever one can push the most volts will have a potentially audible S/N advantage, and greater flexibility with amp pairing and gain staging.  If it were me, I would go with the Benchmark.

Edited by Ski Bum

should i'll hear improvement for the stage and sound, or it is just snake oil?

I'm not sure what you're suggesting is snake oil.  Emo is a solid budget brand, and Benchmark is a solid brand that charges a bit more.  The Benchmark probably touts superior specs, but both of those pre-amps should be audibly transparent, and neither should alter the sound stage.  Whichever one can push the most volts will have a potentially audible S/N advantage, and greater flexibility with amp pairing and gain staging.  If it were me, I would go with the Benchmark.

my center stage, is a bit left side, and i plug my Emotiva, directly my power amp on my Belle, recently i had the chance to listen other power amp, and still my sound is a bit left, not center and soundstage a bit poor...

So, i was wondering with better dac, better soundstage? or is it just snake oil that will help sound stage, because i will be changing 4 quarter for a dollar?

my center stage, is a bit left side, and i plug my Emotiva, directly my power amp on my Belle, recently i had the chance to listen other power amp, and still my sound is a bit left, not center and soundstage a bit poor...

Rule out the low hanging fruit.  I would start at the transducers and work back through the system.  Make sure each Belle is fully functional.  Listen to each driver individually, and listen to the speakers both alone and together, making sure what's hitting your ears is balanced.  Next, how are your local acoustics coloring things?  Asymetrical layout and proximity to walls resulting in the image shift, perhaps?  Make sure you work on the room first.  Assuming you can get the speaker/room thing as optimal as can be, only then look further upstream for trouble.  You may still be faced with placement restrictions that can be addressed by a balance control, or an amp with individual left and right input sensitivity, aka "gain" controls, to effect the same thing.  

I don't think the Emo or the Benchmark offers balance controls, or tone controls, or any sort of processing for that matter.  When will these guys start producing a two channel pre w/ proper bass management, PEQ, and sub outs?  (Sorry for the rant.)

So, i was wondering with better dac, better soundstage? or is it just snake oil that will help sound stage

I think you have a misconception about what a DAC can and cannot do.  Whoever told you that a more expensive DAC improved the soundstage was probably the one trying to sell it to you.  Soundstage is a combo of just a few key ingredients: good speakers, placed optimally within their particular acoustic environment, and playing back high quality source material.  Some folks use surround processing to embellish the soundfield.   

Edited by Ski Bum
  • Like 2

As far as the system balance being off, try switching the RCA cables on the back of the Emo inputs, then outputs to the amp, if that doesn't fix the problem, try switching the speaker cables to see if that works.

Be sure to put everything back after each step.

The is the box approach to trouble shooting, it will isolate the digital source, the DAC-preamp, the amp then the speakers one at a time.

When you identify the offending component tell us what you find.

Speculation is your amp is starting to fade on one channel but it is just a guess.

• Like 2

I don't think the Emo or the Benchmark offers balance controls, or tone controls, or any sort of processing for that matter. When will these guys start producing a two channel pre w/ proper bass management, PEQ, and sub outs? (Sorry for the rant.)

They do: The USP and XSP-1...

As far as the system balance being off, try switching the RCA cables on the back of the Emo inputs, then outputs to the amp, if that doesn't fix the problem, try switching the speaker cables to see if that works.

The is the box approach to trouble shooting, it will isolate the digital source, the DAC-preamp, the amp then the speakers one at a time.

Speculation is your amp is starting to fade on one channel but it is just a guess.

Well, my bryston is going back to factory, i play with the gain, and find when i put maximum gain on both side with mono pink, brown and white noise, one side is much louder than the others. So i have a trouble with the amp. i will send it back to bryston to refurbishing. Also received today, my crite type A, crossover, so it will give me an idea if i have also a crossover problem or a tired tweeter? it is playing but not as refine as the other and when i switch cable, it shows.

i will put my dynaco st70 on my Belle, never had the chance to hear it? i hack my own post, but is it true if my speaker cable hit the dynaco case, it will fry my transfos?

thanks for your great help all! it is appreciated

Edited by tapajeurs
  • Like 2

Ok, just an update, since Bryston is in repair, just put a dynaco St-70, wow nice amp, first time i hear that good job, beautiful center image, no need to change the Emo

regards and thanks to you all!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Ok an update, still not received my Bryston, but ordered type A crossover for my belle, great improvement, but, i took the time to check reading on tweeter squaker and woofer.

this is my reading:

Tweeters both side 6.8 ohms

Squakers both side 10.9

Woofer left side 4.0 and right side 5.4?

The difference reading on woofer, is it significative to have impression that the sound is more left that right?

or this reading are in the spec and nothing to worry about for my Belle?

regards

• Like 1

Ok an update, still not received my Bryston, but ordered type A crossover for my belle, great improvement, but, i took the time to check reading on tweeter squaker and woofer.

this is my reading:

Tweeters both side 6.8 ohms

Squakers both side 10.9

Woofer left side 4.0 and right side 5.4?

The difference reading on woofer, is it significant to have impression that the sound is more left that right?

or this reading are in the spec and nothing to worry about for my Belle?

regards

I haven't done a lot of speaker measurement and repair, but a 26% variance on the woofers jumps out as a problem to me.

For the price and quality of the speakers I would think a 1% variance on the coils would be the highest acceptable number.

So yes there is a problem. I would wait for others to chime in who know more about what they should read than me.

Then the question is, rebuild the drivers with new coils, or replace the woofers.

There are a number of threads on replacing the woofers, both expensive and inexpensive each with it's own merits.

How did you take the readings on the woofers, and can you photograph them with their labeling or print??

Actually, I suggest you start a new thread and label it something like "Belle Driver Ohm Readings HELP"!!

Copy over your post, to start the new thread.

I would also mention your new crossovers etc for background.

Actually, I suggest you start a new thread and label it something like "Belle Driver Ohm Readings HELP"!!

Copy over your post, to start the new thread.

I would also mention your new crossovers etc for background.

has suggested, new thread started, thanks