help identifying LS wood/finish?

Hi there!

I have a line on a pair of Klipsch La Scalas that are in "good" cosmetic condition (some scratches and dings) and fine working order. Price is $700. It'll be my first set of Klipsch speakers, to go with a McIntosh MC-2105 amp and C26 pre-amp.

I don't mind them being black but I would like to have the finish repaired by a pro. The wood/finish code doesn't appear on the decoder document I found though. Here's what's on the sticker:

LS FIN. BLK. #17 GRILL

S/N: 024292234

Can anyone please tell me the wood and finish of these? It'll help me get an estimate on refinishing before I purchase. (And am I correct that the manufacture date is 1992?)

Thank you all so much!

-d

Hi there!

I have a line on a pair of Klipsch La Scalas that are in "good" cosmetic condition (some scratches and dings) and fine working order. Price is $700. It'll be my first set of Klipsch speakers, to go with a McIntosh MC-2105 amp and C26 pre-amp.

I don't mind them being black but I would like to have the finish repaired by a pro. The wood/finish code doesn't appear on the decoder document I found though. Here's what's on the sticker:

LS FIN. BLK. #17 GRILL

S/N: 024292234

Can anyone please tell me the wood and finish of these? It'll help me get an estimate on refinishing before I purchase. (And am I correct that the manufacture date is 1992?)

Thank you all so much!

-d

The LaScala I was made of Baltic Birch plywood... It was finished either as:

BR (Birch Raw = unfinished)

BL (Birch Lacquer = clear lacquer)

FB (Fin Blk = black lacquer)

There may have been some custom order finishes (stains) from the factory over the years. But most were those three.

#17 is the grill color

And 1992 would be the year of manufacture.

There have been quite a few discussions/threads about the specific "black lacquer" finish that Klipsch has used over the years. But I'm not sure what it was. Someone else may be able to point you in that direction if you need to know exactly what it is.

• Like 1

I have a line on a pair of Klipsch La Scalas that are in "good" cosmetic condition (some scratches and dings) and fine working order. Price is $700. It'll be my first set of Klipsch speakers

Pick em' babies up, get to sanding and pick your finish.  DIY is a lot of work but the reward is in the blood and sweat :D

Matt ♪ ♫ ♪

Lucifer, welcome to the party.  I hope the minor cosmetics do not discourage you from purchasing those wonderful speakers.  Once you hook them up to the gear you mentioned, you are going to have incredible sound.   I wouldn't worry about having them professional repaired as of now.  Unless there are major dings and dents that would need filling.  I would just find some touch up paint that matches.  If there are some minor dings and dents, they can easily be filled with bondo or wood putty and painted over.  This is the great thing about black speakers.  Stick around here, make some friends and we will be over to help.

Its time to relax and you know what that means.  Glass of wine, your favorite easy chair, and of course your favorite compact disc playing on your home stereo.  So go on and indulge yourself, that's right! Kick off your shoes, put your feet up.  Lean back and just enjoy the melodies.  After all, music soothes even the savage beast.

BB has 7 layers I always thought.

What most people try to get is genuine baltic birch, and the 3/4 inch is really 18mm, just shy of 3/4. Each layer is BB and approx. 1/16 inch.

I believe that the Klipsch ply isn't birch for each layer, only the face/veneer layer.

My '89 LS came with a walnut stain lacquer finish, as shown below.

Bruce

post-5045-0-43120000-1463140631_thumb.jp

Edited by Marvel

"The LaScala I was made of Baltic Birch plywood.;"

BB was not used in 1992, and I have never (ever) seen one made of Baltic Birch.

Sorry to create such a stir... My saying Baltic Birch was in relation to the facing (top layers). There's so much argument over what is or isn't used or is/isn't real BB, that I wasn't thinking about the semantics of what I was typing.

In any event, every pair of LaScalas that I own, appears to be made from 11/16"(18mm), 7 layer plywood, with a Birch layer on both the top and bottom. That assumption is based on the fact that Klipsch uses the letter B (for birch) right on the label. Hope everyone's happy now...