Preferred Repair Techs

oldtimer

• 4 months later...
On Saturday, July 23, 2016 at 7:41 AM, SWL said:

A mention of techs to stay away from would be helpful as well.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

I took in a McIntosh MVP-841 DVD player for a new pick-up that was only 4-years old and he asked how well I liked it. I told him I like it just fine that's why I'm having it fixed. He called me a few weeks later with a quote of over $1,000!!  I asked him what the hell the breakdown was for the parts and his labor. Turns out he ordered a bunch of caps that he was going to replace but the unit DIDN'T need them. I told him not to do the caps but he said they're already on order. I called McIntosh and canceled his order and picked up my player unfixed.

I also asked McIntosh how much a new pickup assembly repair would be. They said about $300. So off to them it went.

BEC AUDIO & VIDEO

West Chester, OH (SW OHIO)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mighty Favog said:

I took in a McIntosh MVP-841 DVD player for a new pick-up that was only 4-years old and he asked how well I liked it. I told him I like it just fine that's why I'm having it fixed. He called me a few weeks later with a quote of over $1,000!!  I asked him what the hell the breakdown was for the parts and his labor. Turns out he ordered a bunch of caps that he was going to replace but the unit DIDN'T need them. I told him not to do the caps but he said they're already on order. I called McIntosh and canceled his order and picked up my player unfixed.

I also asked McIntosh how much a new pickup assembly repair would be. They said about $300. So off to them it went.

BEC AUDIO & VIDEO

West Chester, OH (SW OHIO)

He is within walking distance of my house but your story mirrors others I have heard so I have stayed away.

Anyone in the area you like? I have used Stereo Advantage (Cincinnati) in the past but was not happy with the last time. I took in an older Yamaha amp and when I got it back it was very noisy. When I complained the tech told me I should have mentioned I was pairing it with revealing speakers like Klipschorns. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, tromprof said:

He is within walking distance of my house but your story mirrors others I have heard so I have stayed away.

Anyone in the area you like? I have used Stereo Advantage (Cincinnati) in the past but was not happy with the last time. I took in an older Yamaha amp and when I got it back it was very noisy. When I complained the tech told me I should have mentioned I was pairing it with revealing speakers like Klipschorns. 

That tech was probably Little Bill, nasty attitude and pretty much why I don't go there anymore. I took a 10-year old Pioneer Elite receiver in there and all he could do was rant how it's made in China and is a POS. I looked him right in the eye and said "You're right, I'll keep it and get it fixed somewhere else."

But, so far, no. I haven't found anyone else I trust. Tri-state on Mt Carmel-Tobasco Rd. is about a mile from me but I really wasn't thrilled with them either. I did hear about a guy that works in Harrison, OH that does some o.k. work but I've never met him ( expertelectronics.com ). I was referred to him by the guys at Audible Elegance on Montgomery Rd.