DIY Resedential Surveillance System Recommendations

rockhound

Who on the board has installed their own video surveillance system? I'm away from the house for half the year and I would like to have peace of mind that my loved ones are safe. There have been some recent events that have gotten my wife a little uneasy so I would like to put in a camera system. However while searching the interweb there are an overwhelming amount of systems out there so I thought I would post here looking for  some proven setups. Ideally I would like the following

1. 4 cameras (outside)

2. Event recording

3. Able to access via web or smartphone (My internet is somewhat limited as I'm on DSL and its slow like 2mb slow.

4. Budget of 500

Anybody got any recommendations? Oh I do have an outside dog however he is a roamer and not always at home.

I use a Netgear Arlo system. It works pretty good, but the cameras need batteries every 4-6 months. https://www.arlo.com/en-us/?cid=gwma

You hard wire the Arlo router into your network via RJ45 jack. The cameras are controlled via free subscription. The setup is pretty straightforward, and the pictures are good day or night. 720p is the resolution. I bought mine at Sam's Club for a little over $300, and then I bought another camera to make it 4.  http://www.samsclub.com/sams/arlo-hd-security-cam-3-pk-wifi-ip-cameras/prod18560428.ip

Cameras are great, but you can never get enough to fully survey your property without over doing it. They don't convict a bad guy and depending on how close they get its still a crap shoot if you get a good face shot. Cameras just don't really offer any early warning to truly protect. They are great piece of mind to check on dogs or toys when away, but if you really want to offer protection, get a decent security system.  

Having said that, I like my cameras and my three dogs that sleep indoors which will give me somewhat of an early warning. As far as cameras go, I would do HD IP cameras. All you do is run CAT cable to each camera and you're done, no batteries, no charing and no additional power cables. You can set them up to only record with motion present, which is what you want unless you want to keep about 2-3TB on tap for 30-40 days recording in very good quality.    Most decent setup ups come with free remote access setup and a phone app to view.  Save a few more coins to get great cameras, they will have much better quality in night mode which is what really counts anyway. 

• Like 1

Love my system has worked for years.

1 Buy a yappy Mt. Fiest

2 Buy 4 Glocks and place one close to each door

3 Have a selection of shotguns and pistols in bedroom

4 Place a sign on property "Doors are locked for YOUR protection"

Don't want cameras, may be used against me if someone was to break.

Edited by totalcomfort
  • Like 5