New to the forum AND the Klipsch sound

rich3fan

Hi all. I'm posting here in 2 channel because my newly purchased RP-280F's will be used for only that purpose. Fact is I've never even listened to the Klipsch brand and used to make fun of the name to a friend who owns them in his HT setup. My 5.1 setup in the media room are all B&W as well as an older pair in the smaller TV room. I purchased the 280F's basically due to word of mouth, print reviews and Klipsch's history.

The bad news is, they were damaged during shipping to me and the "authorized dealer" is giving me conflicting explanations regarding how the damage may have occurred. I was told that they pack them in their box with extra material before they send them, but my question is, why are they even boxing & unboxing them to begin with? Aren't the speakers boxed at the factory? I've watched some YouTube unboxing videos and the boxes are the same type with all of the same Klipsch branding printed on them.

Anyway glad to be here to talk about this magnificent brand.

• Like 1

What did they do to package them differently? I'm sure if you contact Klipsch, they'll help you out. Since authorized dealers have to answer to big K, they have a lot of leverage to make sure the brand is being handled correctly.

Once you get a pair in fine shape, you'll really enjoy them. I haven't heard as many different Klipsch speakers as some of the people on this forum, but I can vouch that the RP-280F sounds incredibly neutral and clean. They're very versatile, especially for a horn design, and they maintain their sonic signature well out of the sweet spot.

Since you're using yours for two-channel listening, you'll want to use a solid high-current two-channel amp for the best results. Be sure to power through the break-in period as well, my experience is that Klipsch speakers sound drastically different fresh out of the box than they do once fully broken in. (My suspicion is that anyone who's ever complained that they 'only hear horns' never did this.) I use mine for two-channel listening all the time, as well as to play video games, and they're phenomenal. Have fun!

• Like 1

Thanks all for you input. I live near Dallas; grew up in South Jersey. I filled out a support ticket and hopefully I'll hear something back soon.

chriswhotakesphotos, I plan on driving theses speakers with a Yamaha A-S501 integrated, but now you've got me wondering. This series of speakers are indicated as being very efficient, so between that and staying within my budget, I chose the A-S501. Maybe during the break-in I should connect them to my Emotiva LPA-1 in my HT setup?

Edited by rich3fan

Thanks all for you input. I live near Dallas; grew up in South Jersey. I filled out a support ticket and hopefully I'll hear something back soon.

chriswhotakesphotos, I plan on driving theses speakers with a Yamaha A-S501 integrated, but now you've got me wondering. This series of speakers are indicated as being very efficient, so between that and staying within my budget, I went the A-S501. Maybe during the break-in I should connect them to my Emotiva LPA-1 in my HT setup?

I'm from South Jersey, too!

As for the Emotiva, definitely try it and see how it sounds. I have an Adcom GFA-7607 7-ch amp that puts better bass to the RP-280Fs than my less powerful daily-driver GFA-535. It sounds good at middle volumes, but compared to the dual-mono 535, it breaks up a lot more when run near distortion levels and has more clattery treble. I've never heard the Emotiva, but it looks beefy. Give it a shot!

My experience with Yamaha has been rough, but the one I had was a receiver and not an integrated. It was from the same Natural Sound lineup. An integrated should sound better, maybe try it with your B&Ws and make sure it performs well at higher volumes. Mine was very quick to get to 'wall of noise' levels of distortion; my rule of thumb with Klipsch is that if it sounds like your system doesn't want to go louder, something in the signal path isn't right. 85w from the right amp should work well!

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum.

I plan on driving theses speakers with a Yamaha A-S501 integrated, but now you've got me wondering. This series of speakers are indicated as being very efficient, so between that and staying within my budget, I chose the A-S501. Maybe during the break-in I should connect them to my Emotiva LPA-1 in my HT setup?

I think the Yamaha A-S501 will be plenty for your new Klipsch speakers unless you are tying to fill a 5000ft3 room with crazy loud volumes.  Maybe adding a quality musical subwoofer to the mix will take some of the load off of the Yamaha and provide more headroom.  I love my Yamaha A-S1000 driving a pair of Klipsch RB-75's with a Klipsch RSW-10d subwoofer.

Good luck with the dealer and exchange for undamaged speakers.

Bill 

• Like 1

Thanks Bill, and my goodness what a lineup you have!

Thanks but a bit of overkill and tied up $$$.

Not likely I'd ever want to leave my house if it was as well equipped as yours!

Funny thing is I don't listen to music enough like I should nor watch many movies.  I only have one child(son 12) but it seems like the he, the bride and I are always somewhere else be it work, church, Boy Scouts, etc.

And yes I went with the Cherry finish on the speakers. 

How does the cherry(vinyl) finish look?  I have not seen in person the Reference Premiere speakers but the vinyl cherry veneer on my previous RB-35's looked pretty good.

Bill 

Edited by willland
  • Like 1

Klipsch's website shows them as authorized. I would never have purchased from them if they weren't. I did my research. I'm hoping Klipsch's support team will respond to my ticket sometime early next week. Otherwise I'll try to find a phone number so I can speak to someone in person.