'new to me' Heresys

-js-

hello, and thanks for the advice from wvu, jweber, silversport, DizRotus, and for the original referral from CECAA850 from over on this thread

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/164539-300-heresys-in-ms/

I picked these up Saturday and am very happy with them   :D   I may have never heard anything like these before in my life - they sound that good!  I can remember back in the day, brother of a friend of mine had a pair of Magnepans powered by a Mac tube amp of some kind - what I remember now, they were awesome.  but that was so long ago, and so many miles, I don't really remember the sound.

anyway, here are the tags of my "new" ones.  more pix to follow.  (it's been a busy weekend - getting these on Sat for an early Father's Day gift, and then doing more out & about fun yesterday, I'm a bit whooped.  but all in all, a very good weekend.  got my 1st set of Heritage speakers and they are fabulous!!!

btw - as I still have SOOO much to learn, can you guys tell me a little more about these babies of mine?  looking at the tag, it says copyright 1980, so I'm thinking that's probably date of manufacture.  would that be correct?  also - the type HFB - would that stand for Heresy-Fir-Black?  meaning the original finish was black?

thanks so much!

post-61817-0-12700000-1466434424_thumb.j

post-61817-0-43820000-1466434444_thumb.j

• Like 1

using my old HK 560 receiver right now.  building this out a little at a time.  we've got a lot of things going on, with a fair measure of employment insecurity going on too, that includes a possible relocation in the near future.  much of that is very undecided.  so, until we find out if we'll be moving, and then all the fun of selling our current home, finding & buying the next one, moving & all of that, and then getting a new space setup, hopefully with more room for a better AV center in the living area.  once we see how all that plays out, with an updated entertainment center to house the electronics, THEN we can begin considering how we want to go with a new receiver - what kind of AV receiver we want to go with, etc.

• Like 1

using my old HK 560 receiver right now.  building this out a little at a time.  we've got a lot of things going on, with a fair measure of employment insecurity going on too, that includes a possible relocation in the near future.  much of that is very undecided.  so, until we find out if we'll be moving, and then all the fun of selling our current home, finding & buying the next one, moving & all of that, and then getting a new space setup, hopefully with more room for a better AV center in the living area.  once we see how all that plays out, with an updated entertainment center to house the electronics, THEN we can begin considering how we want to go with a new receiver - what kind of AV receiver we want to go with, etc.

Congratulations! What kind of music do you listen to?

Here is the Heritage code, numerical for 1984-90:

1984-1989(?) YY WW #### (89281234)

8430925 is your serial number, so they were born in the 30th week of 1984.

Edited by wvu80

They say they work well with vintage equipment, after all! I'm finding out they sound good with vintage music as well; I've always enjoyed old recordings, but a lot of my favorite recordings of old swing music (Count Basie, Glenn Miller, Benny Goodman, etc) have never sounded better. They dig loads of dynamics out of old music.

that's awesome!  thanks Dave!

- mustang guy ->  I use them for mostly classic rock - a lot of different artists but mostly all still fall into classic rock I guess.  I like a lot of stuff from the 'progressive' stuff by Rush to the high voltage of AC/DC, classic REO Speedwagon, of course Pink Floyd, Zeppelin, etc - stuff like that.  the girls like some of the more recent stuff, so it gets a variety of input types.

I forgot to add earlier that for my 1st run at home to see how they sound, I added them along with the R28-F's I got last year.  all 4 of them sound really good.  the 28's seem to add more bass.  that may be because the are closer to the wall, and the Heresys are more out in the open with very little behind them, I guess to 'strengthen' the bass.

at any rate, the Heresys by themselves have an amazing sound, mids & highs, with tremendous clarity.  they are nothing short of fabulous!!!

• Like 1

They say they work well with vintage equipment, after all! I'm finding out they sound good with vintage music as well; I've always enjoyed old recordings, but a lot of my favorite recordings of old swing music (Count Basie, Glenn Miller, Benny Goodman, etc) have never sounded better. They dig loads of dynamics out of old music.

I fully believe that.

Dave -  the type HFB - would that stand for Heresy-Fir-Black?  meaning the original finish was black, fir based plywood?

Here is a link to the Heritage codes:

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/144391-klipsch-data-from-glarea51-and-he-credits-others-thanks-mm/

+++

We have HFB on the tag.

The H code seems straightforward, H is for Heresy.

For FB, the code says "FB Fir Black Lacquer Late Models Only."

From the same source, more on the Black Lacquer:

8.  "Lacquer" refers to the application of one or two thin coats of a clear
semi-gloss lacquer sprayed on the cabinet and motor board prior to
installation of drivers. That lacquer was obtained from various vendors
and currently is a #40 sheen, semi-gloss lacquer from Valspar/OPEC.
Lacquer finishes only require a routine wiping off with a clean dry
cloth to maintain the finish.