hometown audio gear

Paducah Home Theater

• Moderators

Audio, sorry, Audio would be:

Neve moved from the UK to right outside of Austin to make his consoles.

Wunder Audio is also a top maker of microphones as well as consoles.

Not audio, but closely related, is a friend of mine and his wife stared their concert lighting business which became the standard for the industry, High End Lighting.

Toby speakers are still made near Fort Worth.  Toby has been building speakers in Fort Worth for about 30 years.  No horn loaded speakers in the line up as far as I know, but he has an electrostatic speaker and a model with a "wave guide" tweeter.  I see Toby speakers in Fort Worth area pawn shops frequently.

When I was a broke college student (about 1981) I went to see a guy selling some discount audio gear in Houston.  I met him at an industrial warehouse building where he was also manufacturing speakers.  He was an ex NASA electrical engineer, and his speaker brand was called American Kinetics.  He had at least one version with a horn mid/HF and a direct radiator woofer that sounded good.  He was on a shoestring budget because he was living in the same warehouse space (a pretty cool set up actually).  Apparently, he never hit the big time, but I have occasionally seen used AK speakers for sale on various websites.

Edited by Seadog