Decent music DVD's

Greek

I'm interested to hear what music DVD's people are finding exceptional. My fav groups/artists are mostly from the 70's and some 80's. Im looking also for particular music DVDs that the soundtrack was digitally remastered in the studio. Is there a particular website that has a decent selection of music DVD's?

Peter

Since you are a fan of the 70's & 80's, I have a good one for you. Elton John, Greatest Hits,Live. It is a DVD released in 2001. It is encoded with DD Surround, Dolby Digital 6.1 and DTS ES. It is approximately 150 minutes of his concert done in Madison Square Garden in October 2000. The sound is fantastic, the video crisp and clear. All of the hits are there. He has guest perfomers Billy Joel, Mary J. Blige, Anastasia, Roland Keating, Kiki Dee, and Bryan Adams doing perfomances with him. The show is very good. It sounds incredible thru your Klipsch speakers. I don't think you will be disappointed if you purchase this one. How does that sound for a commericial

that's about all i buy for music anymore - dvd. concerts or audio-only. last i got was Alice Cooper - Brutally Live. Recent show in England but mostly the old stuff. Dts but only 5.0 though. Pretty fun. Wink.gif

check out www.dvdpricescan.com for links to the likes of www.deepdiscountdvd.com , www.dvdplanet.com etc.

------------------

My Home Systems Page

This message has been edited by boa12 on 09-04-2002 at 08:20 PM

Thanks everyone for the DVD info. I have dealt with DVDplanet once before concerning movies with good results. I have heard several strong positive comments/reviews on Queen's DVD-audio/DTS format of "night at the opera". Im prob going to pick it up. You know, That music that it sounds like you all are familiar with......nothing these recent years can compare with it.

Peter

Kick a$$ music video DVD's from '70's & '80's artists:

Talking Heads: Stop Making Sense

Eagles: Hell Freezes Over

Roger Waters: In The Flesh

The Band: The Last Waltz (absolutely incredible new mix, considering it was originally released in 1978)

Pink Floyd: The Wall

I'll also include (not from the '70's or 80's)

String Cheese Incident: Evolution

Phish: Bittersweet Motel

Also, the Grateful Dead's "View From the Vault" series (there are three of these) are good too, but they are just 2 channel (Still, the sound is excellent). Bassist Phil Lesh will also provide your subwoofers an excellent bass testcwm9.gif

This message has been edited by dndphishin on 09-05-2002 at 06:45 AM

greek, is your player regular dvd video or one of the higher res players?

i was raving about the queen. its the first dts 96/24 also for regular dvd-video players. however, you won't get the higher sample rate unless you use the analog connections from your player.

still sounds good to me even w/ the digital connection w/ the higher bit quantity.

some w/ dvd-audio players have said they weren't as impressed w/ that format. of course they have a much higher standard to meet than we pee-ons w/ dvd-video players. Smile.gif

------------------

My Home Systems Page

This message has been edited by boa12 on 09-05-2002 at 03:39 PM

Boa....

It's a PhilipsQ50 DVDP....prog-scan....although its does not have DVD-audio, it does have the DTS format option. And, well I bought that Queen DVD (what a legend) ...last night, and to hear the DTS tech and Queen together was a sonic orgasm! The enveloping sound was just AWESOME! The harmony especially on "love of my life" is stunning!

Tonight I found and bought a Bruce Hornsby DVD (Rockpalast series) on Pioneer Artists label.....awesome live DVD - highly recommended! I have also been hearing that the "Hell freezes over" Eagles cd is hot.....

Peter

I picked-up a copy of Bruce Springsteen & the E-Street Band's Live from New York DVD and was most impressed. Not only was the audio very good, but the camera work was excellent. It's wild to see Bruce's well worn Fender Strat with sweat running down the body or the pick scratches on Stevie VanZant's black-bodied Fender. Bruce is one guy I would pay $100/ticket to see for he works his *** off on stage and gives one the impression that he's there for you. HBO captured a really great performance by a genuine rock & roller. I'd highly recommend it for your collection.

Tom Adams

greek, get eagles hfo in dts for sure. its a core holding. Wink.gif

i'll have to check out some of those recommended.

also steely dan - two against nature & neil young - live at red rocks are well done on the dts audio. just wish they had some more songs on them. about the only song i really dig on that from neil is "powder finger", but then again it IS neil young. Smile.gif

------------------

My Home Systems Page

This message has been edited by boa12 on 09-07-2002 at 10:35 AM

is stop making sense... the video... where he starts out walking out on stage and you see the footsteps? and he has the really big suit for one song?

i think it is...

is it?

if it is i must buy that DVD i used to watch that VHS over and over as a veeery young child...

------------------

---------------------

I. Love. MUSIC!

• 3 months later...

I really like some of the tracks on Roger Waters' Live in Berlin but it is only on VHS (or at least I can't find it on DVD). The Band, Van Morrison, Sinead do some great versions of these classic songs.

I've been enjoying Diana Krall's "Live In Paris" DVD.

In general my perception is that concert DVD's haven't been fully exploited and tuned for great results yet. There are very few that get good reviews on NetFlix.com from renters, and I've been mostly disappointed when I've given them a try.

"The Last Waltz" is a rare item with a lot of planning and a name director putting on an all star event created for film.