Bass traps

owen

Well Chris, It looks like you replicated my findings a couple of years before I actually first made them.

I had a chance to make some before-and-after measurements and found a couple of benefits. First, the peaks and troughs in the freq response due to an undersized mouth were actually minimized a couple of dB. Second, the non-monotonic behavior of the polar plots (amplitude as a function of frequency and angle) due to the bifurcated mouths(s) acting as two sources was actually cleaned up a bit also (less non-monotonic). We have probably talked about this before but my memory is less than perfect.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Chris A said:

The K-402 is not like the K-400 midrange: you have to get off axis by more than 50 degrees to start seeing any changes in the polars.  That's not true for the K-400.

The pic makes them look further than a foot, but my vision is at an all time low.  Thats pretty interesting. Great looking chairs by the way.

I treated the front wall of my listening room with absorptive panels, as well as the first reflection points on the side walls and the ceiling.  Then I added "superchunk" bass traps in the corners.  In my opinion, and the opinion of others who have come to my room for listening sessions, this treatment has made the room sound great.  I think the bass traps really tightened up the bass in the room.  You still have to be careful where you position your speakers, though, to avoid boominess from room node effect.  I recently ran into this when I placed my new (to me) Cornwalls.  By the way, I have had many sets of speakers in the room with the bass traps, including Forte IIs and Cornwalls.   And I haven't run into any issues with any of them.  Google "superchunk bass traps" and you'll get a lot of advice on how to construct them.  Here's a pic of them in my room.

Tom

FullSizeRender.jpg

IMG_0153.JPG

I tried post yesterday from my phone but, the pic's are too big.. I have corner traps above the speakers with first reflection zone panels above the subs and more bass traps above the records that are half on the wall and half on the ceiling, and lastly there are two more bass traps on the ceiling inline with the listening position and the speakers... 

Pic From Phone 088.jpg

Pic From Phone 089.jpg