Roger Waters - In the flesh - live

cluless

The raves are way off here, I think.

The lounge lizard act complete with the girls in the LBDs (little black dresses- and some of them weren't so little). Granted, Roger has by some freak of nature been able to keep his voice sounding good.

In reality,the band he was able to assemble for this effort was truely AWESOME, and the sound technology was top notch. The rest was HYPE and reminds me of William Shatner's Black leather jacket promotion of.....

Less

Justin

Basically he was one of the founding members, lead singer and bass player for Pink Floyd.

After Syd Barrett - original guitar player, went crazy and was institutionalized. Rodgers biggest fear in life was loosing his sanity. This fear became the driving force behind his music.

Other aspects to his music are the feers he had being a small child in post WW2 England ie. having friends who were fatherless. Rebuilding power, fear of Nazzis.

You have to remember, when Pink Floyd was big, we were in the Viet Nam war. A great source of a lot of passionate music - IMHO.

The reat of the band Pink Floyd asked Rodger to leave after the final cut LP. A very dark sad recording made while the UK was at war in the Falkland Islands. The band was getting tired of dark music.

In a nutshell.

JM

On a side note - I met David Gilmore at the EAA flyin a few years back. He was flying a restored British WW2 troup transport plane he personally owned. Was a real nice friendly man. Not what you would think of a certified superstar many times over.

Lone Palm,

As an avid floydaholic fan for just over 30 years. This includes Pink Floyd then, now, & Roger Waters.

I think Radio Chaos & Amused to Death are very good albums from Roger. Personally I think Pros & Cons of Hitchhiking was a sleeper, I almost fell asleep at the show. I have been fortunate to see both he by himself, and while with Pink Floyd, Every tour since 1972...yes every tour. All of Roger's bands have been excellent, especially when he played his material written by him and for him and not Pink Floyd. To see Eric Clapton tour with him was incredible. When playing Rogers stuff he was great. When it came to playing Floyd stuff, and I have the utmost respect for Mr.Clapton but he is no David Gilmore.

In The Flesh is a great concert DVD. The 5.1 surround sound and setup is a 10, I love this disc. Roger assembled a great set of musicians for this tour including a few that also toured with Gilmore's Pink Floyd. I can't say enough about this concert. Great mixture of Pink Floyd and Rogers solo material.

As good as this is you still miss the way David Gilmore plays those solos. He can make his guitar sing and cry like nobody else.

For a great live Pink Floyd concert get "Pulse". I happen to have this on Laserdisc with Digital Surround, but not 5.1. Even though its not DD or DTS the sound is just overwhelming and incredible and the stage show is mesmerizing.

I know you can't get this on DVD yet and the Laserdisc version is very hard to find so you will have to settle for VHS. Better yet, you might be able to get this on VCD (video compact disc) out of Hong Kong...check ebay.

Last is the concert by all of the members of Pink Floyd (not inc. Barret) "Live at Pompeii". After losing out twice-on ebay for this on Laserdisc (very rare). I got this out of Hong Kong on VCD. VCD's are about the same quality as VHS but with digital sound, and the never ware out. I love this. There is no audience, just the sound crew and the band sitting in the ancient Greek coliseum. This is killer!

Anyway thats my 3 cents

------------------

Denon AVR 3801

Onkyo M504 Power Amp driving the mains

Technique A-10 DVD Audio/Video Player

Pioneer DVL-909 Laserdisc/Dvd Player

Dish Network Dolby Digital Sat receiver

Mitsubishi 50" Screen

Mitsubishi HSU-575 HiFi VCR

Klipsch La Scala ( Mains)

Klipsch RFC5 Center

Klipsch RSS6 Surround Side

Klipsch RSS .5 Back surround

Klipsch KSW 12 Subwoofer

Denon DRA-295 Stereo Receiver Driving Outdoor Speakers

Boston Acoustics OutDoor Speakers

My Home Theater Page http://www.geocities.com/scooterb4u/ScootersHT.html

According to sparebricks.com in their spring 2002 issue Pulse will be released on DVD sometime in 2003. Lets keep our fingers crossed and see if it really does happen. For the time being I'll enjoy my laserdisc copy.

------------------

Denon AVR 3801

Onkyo M504 Power Amp driving the mains

Technique A-10 DVD Audio/Video Player

Pioneer DVL-909 Laserdisc/Dvd Player

Dish Network Dolby Digital Sat receiver

Mitsubishi 50" Screen

Mitsubishi HSU-575 HiFi VCR

Klipsch La Scala ( Mains)

Klipsch RFC5 Center

Klipsch RSS6 Surround Side

Klipsch RSS .5 Back surround

Klipsch KSW 12 Subwoofer

Denon DRA-295 Stereo Receiver Driving Outdoor Speakers

Boston Acoustics OutDoor Speakers

My Home Theater Page http://www.geocities.com/scooterb4u/ScootersHT.html

SCOOTERDOG, Pink Floyd At Pompeii is my favorite. This was really some good stuff. I saw something on VH-1 about them and they showed some clips from Pompeii. Really looked and sounded good. Maybe a DVD is in the works. I hope so. I don't know why Delicate... or Pulse is not available. I have the first issue of Pulse on CD. Still have it in the long box with the little flashing LED.

I agree with lone palm - Pink Floyd: Live at Pompeii is MANDATORY in anyone's collection who appreciates this band. I've got a VHS copy, and until a DVD copy comes along, I'm not getting rid of it. When it comes to video Floyd, this tops the list. It covers the pre-Dark Side period of PF, and includes footage of the Dark Side of the Moon recording sessions.

As much as I love THE WALL, I like Roger Water's performance of the same. It's rare I hear remakes of classic songs add value. The Band's contribution to COMFORTABLY NUMB along with Van Morrison is one of my all time favorite performances. MOTHER with Sinead O'Connor & The Band is another stunning performance. Some of the other star-studded tracks are more typical of tribute remakes but the two I mentioned alone make this a must own. With Roger Waters still the star of this album this isn't quite a tribute album.

I watched "LIVE AT POMPEII" on the old RCA Video Disk system...not laser but similar size. Those expecting more DARK SIDE, WISH YOU WERE HERE, etc. may not like it. The old Floyd is a different and more psychadelic sound.

Those that like Syd Barrett should check out the double CD version of the SOFT BOY's classic UNDERWATER MOONLIGHT. Robyn Hitchcock covers some post Floyd Barrett tunes and seems to be inspired by Barrett.

KJ

"Vegatable Man Where Are YOU?"

-Syd

Roger Waters'"The Wall" was broadcasted live globally.For some strange reason no U.S.broadcasting co. chose to carry it. I was at my brother-in-law's house in Fort Worth and one of the Dallas radio stations carried the show. Taped it on cassette and listened to it all the way back to La. On the video,if you'll notice there is an edit at the end of "In The Flesh."A curtain caught on fire from the pyros and the show was stopped momentarilly. This is why the edit is there.

I always thought it was pretty cool that the wall was built on the exact spot as The Berlin wall,and this show coincided with the reunification of Germany. It seems that the US would have broadcast it with the end of The Cold War and all.

As far as Roger's performances of the Pink Floyd material,He probably don't give a rat's *** if the guitarists in The Bleeding Hearts' Band sound like Gilmore or not. This is Roger's music and he can have it sound any way he wants.