Receiver just failed, need recommendations for a new one.

AaronB123

Adding an outboard amp isn't all about adding more/better power.  More power does not always equate better sound quality.   With that said, a well designed amp can give you better bass drive/punch, headroom, and can open up the soundstage.  

If adding an amp is the path you are taking, check your local craigslist(cheaper usually) for different amps and experiment.  I have thoroughly enjoyed trying out different amps over the last 9 years and pretty much know what I like by now.

Aaron, in case I have just missed it in your previous posts, where are you located?

Bill

7 hours ago, jason str said:

Chorus II and LaScala are very different animals, you will not be needing a high powered amplifier with LaScala's to drive you out of the room hence my recommendation for the NAD.

Ya, the NAD's are nice but from what I can see they don't make any that have all the 4k pass through and all that and unfortunately given the fact that I just bought a brand new 4K tv that's something I am going to need at this point. 

5 hours ago, willland said:

Adding an outboard amp isn't all about adding more/better power.  More power does not always equate better sound quality.   With that said, a well designed amp can give you better bass drive/punch, headroom, and can open up the soundstage.  

If adding an amp is the path you are taking, check your local craigslist(cheaper usually) for different amps and experiment.  I have thoroughly enjoyed trying out different amps over the last 9 years and pretty much know what I like by now.

Aaron, in case I have just missed it in your previous posts, where are you located?

Bill

Bill

I am located in the Hartford Connecticut area. I actually already purchased the Emotiva. I did check my local craigslist and they had pretty much nothing that I would be interested in. All I could find was a couple 2 channel amp's that really didn't have much more power than my AVR. 

• Like 1

I have had 3 La Scalas across the front for about 4 years now. I had been using a HK 3600 to drive my 7.2 setup. I had a Sherbourn 7x150 sitting brand new in the box about 3 months ago and originally planned on testing all the channels and then selling it. Once I had the 3 La Scalas driven by the Sherbourn from the preouts of the HK, I immediately could tell a difference. No doubt in my mind. The sound was fuller with better clarity and yeah, if I got stupid with the volume, it'd crush the HK, but in all fairness, the Sherbourn should win hands down in that category. Far too often, I've heard adding an external amp is for crazy volume or it's a frivolous endeavor. The quality of sound that I now have is much better to me. 

The HK 3600 isn't a powerhouse of an AVR so maybe those with a higher end AVR don't need an external amp. As far as the future goes for me, I will have an external amp in my setup for at least the front 3. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, homeskizzle said:

I have had 3 La Scalas across the front for about 4 years now. I had been using a HK 3600 to drive my 7.2 setup. I had a Sherbourn 7x150 sitting brand new in the box about 3 months ago and originally planned on testing all the channels and then selling it. Once I had the 3 La Scalas driven by the Sherbourn from the preouts of the HK, I immediately could tell a difference. No doubt in my mind. The sound was fuller with better clarity and yeah, if I got stupid with the volume, it'd crush the HK, but in all fairness, the Sherbourn should win hands down in that category. Far too often, I've heard adding an external amp is for crazy volume or it's a frivolous endeavor. The quality of sound that I now have is much better to me. 

The HK 3600 isn't a powerhouse of an AVR so maybe those with a higher end AVR don't need an external amp. As far as the future goes for me, I will have an external amp in my setup for at least the front 3. 

Sweet amp. I agree with you that the amp makes a big difference. Not just for achieving higher volume and filling a bigger room but also the depth and quality of the sound. Honestly my Sherbourn SR-120 receivers are the only receivers I have heard with enough oomph to make me happy. In every other instance i head straight to separates.

Tim

• Like 1

Well, I got the new amp a couple days ago and first of all for anyone that hasn't bought from Emotiva if you plan to, you are in for a major treat! Everything from the speed they ship it out to the packaging quality is all top notch. They even put the amp in a beautiful Emotiva velvet bag inside the box. Card thanking me for my purchase signed by the whole crew over there as well. 

Now on to the product, this thing is HUGE and HEAVY! I was looking at Marantz amps at bestbuy which were half the size of my receiver but this thing WOW it'd pretty much double the size of my receiver. Build quality is absolutely astonishing and worth every penny. Now on to the question of the sound. There isn't  huge difference but definitely a noticable difference especially in instrument's such as anything like a drum or anything with bass. Bass seems much more present and clear honestly when listening to music with drum's it sounds so realistic you would swear there are a pair of drums in the room. Vocals seem a lot cleaner and a touch louder. I would say the main thing that seems improved is the detail, as in things you may normally miss like during movies the sound of a paper moving on a table or the sound of someone clearing their throat and other little things like that. 

While there may not be a night and day difference I am still extremely happy with my purchase, this thing is absolutely gorgeous and I can tell Emotiva is an extremely great company. I knew going in that The La Scala's were very high efficient speakers that probably didn't need it so I'm not surprised that it's not a night and day difference but as I said, I am very happy. I will say as someone mentioned earlier the surround's do seem to be much improved. I feel like I notice a difference in those more than anything else. 

All in all I will say anyone on the fence about buying an Emotiva product I highly recommend them. Extremely high quality and! I am extremely happy I bought this instead of just getting a amp from bestbuy because I can tell you first hand none of them were built like this thing, even the ones that costed 500+ more than this one. 

• Like 2