Jump to content
The Klipsch Audio Community
Sign in to follow this  
neobundy

R-112SW Randomly Shuts Off

Recommended Posts

Hi,

 

I bought an R-112SW last August and it's been working great. After a while, the auto power-on function stopped working. My A/V receiver is Yamaha RX-A2040 and I haven't  changed any settings. I settled for 'always-on' but now even when I put the switch to 'ON', it randomly shuts off and won't power back on unless I pull the power plug, wait a couple of seconds and connect the plug again. Without pulling the power plug, the power switch has no effect.  It behaves like a crashed computer or something that needs a cold power reboot. 

 

I have two subwoofers connected to the receiver and the other one (Yamaha SW-315) works just fine.

 

At first I thought something might be goingg wrong when the power-saving function kicks in (I know that's not supposed to work in the always-on mode), but it went dead while I was watching a bass-rich action movie today.

 

Sometimes it works just fine for hours, other times it shuts off in half an hour. 

 

Any thoughts? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It sounds like you got something with the switch or amp board.  Call Klipsch for what next.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have heard of the auto switch in these as well as other Klipsch subs being bad. Don't know why Klipsch can't get their heads out of their butts and figure out a solid amp solution for their subs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

Just leave it on. It doesn't use any more current than auto.

Unfortunately, leaving it on doesn't solve the problem. It eventually shuts down and I can't get it to wake up without first cutting the power. Whether I leave the switch to 'On' or 'Auto' doesn't make any difference. As suggested, I guess the amp board is faulty. But it's weird that the amp gets to work again, albeit for a while, when the power is reconnected :-(

 

While googling, I found several similar (almost exact) complaints with R-112SW.

 

Even in South Korea where I live. What's the odds? It indicates some sort of a design flaw or crappy parts.

 

I want to return the unit but the local reseller won't take it back. Guess I'll have to send it in for repair instead.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The other option is to buy and external amp  similar watt, RMS/Peak and use it to power the sub.  This may be a cheaper fix.
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On October 2, 2016 at 0:28 AM, neobundy said:

While googling, I found several similar (almost exact) complaints with R-112SW.

 

Even in South Korea where I live. What's the odds? It indicates some sort of a design flaw or crappy parts.

 

that what i was saying. 

 

On October 2, 2016 at 3:02 AM, derrickdj1 said:

The other option is to buy and external amp  similar watt, RMS/Peak and use it to power the sub.  This may be a cheaper fix.

how would this be cheaper on a sub under warranty for another 4 years?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Scrappydue said:

that what i was saying. 

 

how would this be cheaper on a sub under warranty for another 4 years?

Shipping cost alone will buy an amp.  He also said the local reseller won't take it back.  Not a lot of good options left.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i would assume if bought from a authorized dealer over there that they will just send him a new amp same as here in the states. its free. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Scrappydue said:

i would assume if bought from a authorized dealer over there that they will just send him a new amp same as here in the states. its free. 

I would assume your assumption is incorrect.  Looks like he bought it from a reseller, not authorized dealer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On September 30, 2016 at 1:39 PM, neobundy said:

Hi,

 

I bought an R-112SW last August and it's been working great. After a while, the auto power-on function stopped working. My A/V receiver is Yamaha RX-A2040 and I haven't  changed any settings. I settled for 'always-on' but now even when I put the switch to 'ON', it randomly shuts off and won't power back on unless I pull the power plug, wait a couple of seconds and connect the plug again. Without pulling the power plug, the power switch has no effect.  It behaves like a crashed computer or something that needs a cold power reboot. 

 

I have two subwoofers connected to the receiver and the other one (Yamaha SW-315) works just fine.

 

At first I thought something might be goingg wrong when the power-saving function kicks in (I know that's not supposed to work in the always-on mode), but it went dead while I was watching a bass-rich action movie today.

 

Sometimes it works just fine for hours, other times it shuts off in half an hour. 

 

Any thoughts? 

was this thing bought in a store authorized to sell klipsch speakers?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Eventually, I ended up taking the unit to the authorized dealer affiliated to the reseller I mentioned. 

 

They'll be testing it and request necessary parts from Klipsch, the whole process should take 2-3 weeks, they say.

 

 Just hope everything will turn out fine after all the hassle.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just got off the phone with the dealer. They will give me a brand new unit! I'm driving back to their service center tomorrow to get it. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Guys,

Sorry to hijack the thread, but wont post the same issue in the forum.

I bought my R-112sw this past May. like 4 months old and the same issues started happening yesterday watching X-Man Apocalypse 4k.:angry: The different is that mine wont hold on more than 5-10 min in either auto on or always on. Doesn't even matter if it is driving or just on without any cable. I left it unplug all night to hopefully discharge or something but no luck. I got mine from acousticsounddesign.com an authorize dealer. Either way I know I need to call klipsch on Monday to start a warranty replacement or fix. My question is, will the replacement unit have the same problem over time? Or they upgraded. Was thinking to get a 3rd sub but I guess wont be Klipsch. Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just a thought

  Have you tried turning the signal up in your avr to see if that helps?  You'll need to turn the gain down on the amp to compensate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I tied so many options this morning and the only think changed was the time that held on, but didn't past from 10min.

Per your suggestion I dont think it is like it over heating and going to self protection mode; Because I just powered on without the LFE cable from the AVR and 0 gain and it did shutted off after a couple of min. Back amp plate was cold. Can't find a logic pattern and I haven't change any gain on the AVR to cause this.:(  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How do I connect an external amp to the R-112SW? There is only LFE port, white RCA, Right Red RCA and WA Port.

Can I use another AVR amp for that? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, yolayoe said:

How do I connect an external amp to the R-112SW? There is only LFE port, white RCA, Right Red RCA and WA Port.

Can I use another AVR amp for that? 

 

You would not use the plate amp at all, don't even plug it in.

 

Open up the sub and unhook the connectors that attach to the sub driver's +/-.  An external amp (not AVR) such as an Inuke 3000 would then bypass the plate amp connecting directly to the sub drivers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...