Need K-23-K woofer for Forte 1

jimjimbo

Looks like I need a new K23K for a pair of Forte 1's I have.  Although the cosmetics are perfect across the entire unit, there is a buzzing, distorted sound from it.  It still plays, and measures at 4 ohms, but doesn't sound good.  And yes, I've swapped it.   Anyone have a spare, or a suggestion?  I have bunches of stuff I could trade, tubes, etc. and cash....Thanks.

Thanks guys, and a question....before I go and purchase something (and I'd really prefer to stay local to the forum here..), is there anything I could do to check this woofer to see if there might be something simple I could fix?  As I said, this woofer looks cosmetically excellent, front, back, voice coil, etc, etc.....There is nothing rattling around etc.  I've not had the experience of cutting off a dust cover before, but I suppose I could do that if you folks suggest it to look for something....Thanks again.

22 minutes ago, Weber said:

There's no rubbing sound when you push it in and let it come out? 

Yes, there is.  What is that indicative of?  I checked the other (working) woofer, and there was a bit of a rubbing sound, but not as much, but like I said, it sounds fine.  I cranked up the volume and the bass just to make sure.

1 hour ago, jimjimbo said:

is there anything I could do to check this woofer to see if there might be something simple I could fix?  

Pushing on the cone and listening for a scratching or rubbing sound as described above will let you know if you have a burned voice coil.  From your description above, I'd bet that were the case.  The only fix is to rebuild it and good luck finding soft parts.  You also may want to hook your ohm meter up to the leads and lightly push in on the cone lightly while watching the meter.  Variations in readings aren't a good sign.  Check to make sure the leads aren't rubbing anywhere as well. 

Carl, actually probably not much at all.  I don't even use any amps that push more than 75 watts.  I have a feeling that this woofer has been bad for a while, I just haven't had the Forte's in the rotation for a long time.  I just checked it with a meter, and it starts out at 4 ohms, when I push on it, it varies and then bottoms at zero, but then when I let it go, and keep the leads connected, it comes right back up to 4 ohms....did this several times.

The voice coil is basically one long wire.  The resistance shouldn't vary.  The insulation is most likely burned and it's probably touching somewhere as you push it up or down.  The previous owner must have really played them hard with a big wattage amp.

1 hour ago, jimjimbo said:

I checked the other (working) woofer, and there was a bit of a rubbing sound

Red flag Jim.  Do yourself a favor and buy 2 woofers.  Whoever owned these previously didn't run just one channel hard.  The second one is on it's last legs.

Yea, I'm thinking the same thing Carl.  Kind of sucks because I was actually getting ready to sell the pair, but if I need to replace both, I might as well keep them.  They are walnut, dinged up a bit, but other than the woofers, pretty nice.