1984 La Scala's

kevinski01

...and not to mention pair "Plum Crazy"?

Yes, who can forget those. I only mentioned the black betty's because the op wants to paint his la scalas black. I was hoping to give inspiration. You get a little touchy if we don't recognize your work [emoji1] [emoji14]
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, kevinski01 said:

I personally do not like the idea of rolling them. I decided not to do flat black I'm going to do a Satin finish. Black

I just painted my HIP satin black and it turned out really well. It had a fiberglass shell though so the texture is going to be different. You probably have experience already but I cant recommend enough getting the Rustoleum rattle can grip:

https://www.amazon.com/Rust-Oleum-241526-Comfort-Grip/dp/B0015RJ41I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1476990503&sr=8-1&keywords=rustoleum+grip

It makes spraying so much easier and it almost feels like using a real spray gun instead of a can. I would do each coat in a different direction as well so its like a cross hatch. IE the first coat go left to right then second coat go top to bottom. This will help even out the spray. If you want a textured look similar to duratex I really like the Rustoleum Truck bed lining. Anyway, here is the HIP with satin black Rustoleum paint:

TH Project Final 20161016 02.jpg

TH Project Final 20161016 03.jpg

TH Project Final 20161016.jpg

Before Restoration:

TH Project Teardown 20160919-2.jpg

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

Spraying a single HIP is a whole hell of a lot different than a pair of La Scala's. I give up.

No doubt. 

If the original poster wouldn't mind we'd sure like to see the restoration project documented in its own thread.  Lots of experience here should you have questions. 

Mark

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jimjimbo said:

Spraying a single HIP is a whole hell of a lot different than a pair of La Scala's. I give up.

I do agree with you, Im sure rolling Duratex would look much cleaner and be easier but if he is dead set on spraying it then I will give him whatever advice I can to help make it look as good as possible. I have even read issues with Duratex with lines appearing from each pass not lining up exactly. Even if you rolled the top and sides it would probably be best to spray the inside of the bass horn anyway.  If he really wants to spray then the Rustoleum Truck Bed Liner is most likely going to look the best as it is textured and would hide most of the uneven spraying.

Actually, if the cabs are in good shape I would use an orbital sander and strip off the current paint on the tops and sides and then repaint the bass horns. A dark stain would do better with any small nicks like this Jacobean by Minwax then pain the horn satin black.

http://www.minwax.com/wood-products/stains-color-guide/

jacobean-2750.jpg