forte II w/ A-55G Mids?

jjptkd

So you've seen the distortion plots and you've listened to them?

Dean, is it really necessary to drag me into this? I voiced my informed opinion and that should be good enough. If it's not then fine. I know what I like when I listen to it I don't listen and plot the distortion points along the way for every single piece of gear I own. Maybe you do but I don't have time for that.

1 minute ago, jimjimbo said:

I voiced my informed opinion.

That would be a big N O apparently. Why someone would feel compelled to pass on negativity about a product they have never seen let alone heard is beyond me. In this particular instance I'm sure its to show solidarity with the "Chief," so I guess that makes it ok?

This thread really wasn't meant to discuss the validity of the a-55g driver itself as much as the differences between the 2" 55 driver and the stock 1.5 driver. Crites himself has said that the differences between the soldered lug k-55 and the a-55g are marginal and probably not worth the price of admission.

Jim, I'm not "dragging" you into anything -- you did that on your own.

The A-55-G has 1% distortion at 400Hz, which translates into 4dB less than the dual phase plug K-55-V. In the world of drivers, that's quite a bit less. The FR is smoother too. A lot of work went into this driver and diaphragm -- it's very easy to hear how much cleaner it is. I heard a rumor that when Paul Jacobs heard a pair of these for the first time, he got choked up.

2" vs. 1.5" -- these are voice coil numbers, not the exit size (just clarifying). 

• Like 1

From Bob:

"Initially, I said that the improvement would be more apparent with the other versions of K-55, and not so much compared to the K-55 with two piece phase plug. That was also said before I knew how much better the distortion numbers were even compared to the K-55 with two piece phase plug.  With that distortion number known now, I can see that it may be a significant improvement even over the two piece phase plug version. As concerning the thread where the guy is wanting to use that driver in his Forte II, there is no reasonable comparison. The A-55G is so superior to that driver that I cannot even explain how much better.  I can do a quick demo on those two drivers here and no test equipment is needed. The A-55G is so much clearer and cleaner that it just has to be heard to understand how much better it is."

• Like 2

3 hours ago, jjptkd said:

That would be a big N O apparently. Why someone would feel compelled to pass on negativity about a product they have never seen let alone heard is beyond me. In this particular instance I'm sure its to show solidarity with the "Chief," so I guess that makes it ok?

As a matter of fact, you are completely wrong.  I did not comment negatively about any product. I simply stated my opinion.  Sorry that you took it the wrong way.  As we all are, you are welcome to experiment (and state your opinion) about absolutely anything you like.    And further, my other comment had absolutely nothing to do with showing solidarity with the "Chief"....It was simply a joke, and nothing more.  Apparently you didn't get that either....

11 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

As a matter of fact, you are completely wrong.  I did not comment negatively about any product.

Stating that something isn't worth the time or money isn't negative in any way?

I simply stated my opinion.

Based on information from the chief as from what I remember of the last thread he was the only one who openly disputed the quality of the new driver having never heard it or seen it himself either, they were not even available for purchase at the time. This is where you've aligned yourself with him, not the joke that was your second post in this thread.

11 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

And further, my other comment had absolutely nothing to do with showing solidarity with the "Chief"....It was simply a joke, and nothing more.  Apparently you didn't get that either....

See above

I believe Roy has heard the driver, but I don't know if he tested it. 

I had started a thread on this driver, which got deleted. My impression was that Roy was more annoyed over the promotion of the driver than he was to anything related to its performance. 

18 hours ago, jimjimbo said:

See below

I myself am very opinionated when it comes to what I hear and what I believe sounds good and what I consider to be "worth the time or money" but those opinions are based on first hand experience, usually after pretty rigorous A/B testing. Even then I tread lightly when voicing my opinions because I recognize that not everyone's situation is the same and not everyone hears the same things.

• Like 1

I myself am very opinionated when it comes to what I hear and what I believe sounds good and what I consider to be "worth the time or money" but those opinions are based on first hand experience, usually after pretty rigorous A/B testing. Even then I tread lightly when voicing my opinions because I recognize that not everyone's situation is the same and not everyone hears the same things.

Once again, you have no idea what I have heard or not heard, whom I may have gotten components from to test, etc.  I have been a musician and audio enthusiast for over 50 years, so I'm pretty damn sure that I can speak from experience.  You are welcome to voice your opinions in whatever way you choose, and you are also welcome to discount mine.  I will readily admit that I've made lots of mistakes in buying, selling, "upgrading", swapping components, etc.  That's all part of the learning process.  If I can help someone with the benefit of my experience, whether it be from a cost perspective, a value perspective, a labor perspective, then that's great.  If not, that's fine too.  I fully understand that everyone's hearing and perceptions can vary wildly, particularly with respect to the types of music they listen to, so I really don't need to be lectured about that or anything else.

10 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

Once again, you have no idea what I have heard or not heard, whom I may have gotten components from to test, etc.  I have been a musician and audio enthusiast for over 50 years, so I'm pretty damn sure that I can speak from experience.  You are welcome to voice your opinions in whatever way you choose, and you are also welcome to discount mine.  I will readily admit that I've made lots of mistakes in buying, selling, "upgrading", swapping components, etc.  That's all part of the learning process.  If I can help someone with the benefit of my experience, whether it be from a cost perspective, a value perspective, a labor perspective, then that's great.  If not, that's fine too.  I fully understand that everyone's hearing and perceptions can vary wildly, particularly with respect to the types of music they listen to, so I really don't need to be lectured about that or anything else.

You're talking in circles. Have you had this driver or at least listened to it yourself? When you yourself say things like "informed opinion" that sounds like word of mouth to me and that has no merit no matter who you are or your qualifications, at least to me. If you want to form opinions about things based solely on second hand information that is up to you but at least be up front about it. 

• Like 1

• Klipsch Employees
On 11/3/2016 at 2:42 PM, jjptkd said:

Had these laying around and thought what the heck, might as well try them out. Initial impressions are that they sound different, haven't had a lot of time with them yet. I'll post impressions after a little more break in time and critical listening have taken place.

20161103_120622.jpg

you know....these are two very different drivers.

• Klipsch Employees
On 11/3/2016 at 5:43 PM, jjptkd said:

Yep, just did a straight swap changing only the mid horns and drivers. I actually got the idea from the Crites website where in his advertisement for the A-55g he states that the driver would be a suitable replacement for the KLF-30. That got me thinking because the 30 and forte II share the same mid diaphragm.

http://www.critesspeakers.com/k-55-replacement-the-new-a.html

From the website:

K-55 Replacement.  The New A-55G Driver

This new driver can be used to replace the Klipsch K-55X, K-55V, K-55M, K-51V and also the midrange drivers for the KLF-20 and KLF-30.  Can also be used to replace the K-57H drivers that have the 1 3/8 thread.

crossvers tie the whole acoustic system together.  you cannot just change drivers without changing the network to get the same response....unless that just doesnt matter.

• Like 1

• Klipsch Employees
On 11/4/2016 at 1:35 PM, jjptkd said:

This thread really wasn't meant to discuss the validity of the a-55g driver itself as much as the differences between the 2" 55 driver and the stock 1.5 driver. Crites himself has said that the differences between the soldered lug k-55 and the a-55g are marginal and probably not worth the price of admission.

i dont think solidarity matters much....logical informed decisions do.

• Klipsch Employees
On 11/4/2016 at 2:01 PM, Deang said:

Jim, I'm not "dragging" you into anything -- you did that on your own.

The A-55-G has 1% distortion at 400Hz, which translates into 4dB less than the dual phase plug K-55-V. In the world of drivers, that's quite a bit less. The FR is smoother too. A lot of work went into this driver and diaphragm -- it's very easy to hear how much cleaner it is. I heard a rumor that when Paul Jacobs heard a pair of these for the first time, he got choked up.

2" vs. 1.5" -- these are voice coil numbers, not the exit size (just clarifying). 

really?  on what horn?  at what voltage level?  at what spl level?  and rumors dont make facts.

• Klipsch Employees

You're talking in circles. Have you had this driver or at least listened to it yourself? When you yourself say things like "informed opinion" that sounds like word of mouth to me and that has no merit no matter who you are or your qualifications, at least to me. If you want to form opinions about things based solely on second hand information that is up to you but at least be up front about it. 

i think informed opinion or informed decisions went out the window with this "experiment".......

• Klipsch Employees
10 hours ago, Deang said:

I believe Roy has heard the driver, but I don't know if he tested it. 

I had started a thread on this driver, which got deleted. My impression was that Roy was more annoyed over the promotion of the driver than he was to anything related to its performance. 

your impression was wrong.....like i said before....i dont have to tell you what testing or lack of i did.

On 11/4/2016 at 5:55 PM, jimjimbo said:

As a matter of fact, you are completely wrong.  I did not comment negatively about any product. I simply stated my opinion. 

I am just now reading through the thread from front to back.  I saw Jim make a couple of comments, one humorous/tongue-in-cheek and the other just an opinion post, nothing negative, nothing out of the ordinary that any other poster might make.

That's just what I read and how I took things.

• Like 1